Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Anyone who thinks Tomlin or Colbert are going anywhere

is delusional to say the least. I would however like to see LeBeau retire and the Steeler's go to a 4-3. I think Haley is 50/50 to return I think they need to win 7 games for him to save his job. This is what I would like to see the roster look like next year for a quick turn around. I don't believe we need to blow it up

Gone- Clark, Cotchery,Keisel,Hood,Foote

RDE-Jarvis Jones, Jason Worilds
    DT-Cam Heyward, Al Woods
    DT-Steve McClendon, Nick Williams
    LDE-Lamar Woodley, Chaz Sutton (7th rd South Carolina)
    ROLB-Morgan Breslin (2nd round USC), Terrence Garvin
    MLB-Vince Williams,Sean Spence
    LOLB-Lawrence Timmons, ????
    CB-Ike Taylor, Aaron Colvin (3rd round Oklahoma)
    CB-Cortez Allen, William Gay
    FS-Shamarko Thomas, Robert Golden
    SS-Troy Polamalu, Kenny Ladler (4th rd Vandy)

QB-Ben, Grad, Jones
    RB-Leveon Bell,James Wilder Jr. (4th rd FSU), Dwyer
    FB-Will Johnson
    WR-Antonio, Manny, Wheaton, Moye, Justin Brown
    TE-Heath Miller,Colt Lyerla (6th rd Oregon)
    LT-Cam Erving (1st rd FSU),Marcus Gilbert
    LG-Maurkice Pouncey,Ramon Foster
    C-Fernando Velasco, Gabe Ikard (5th round Oklahoma)
    RG-David DeCastro, Nik Embernate
    RT-Kelvin Beachum,Mike Adams

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    is delusional to say the least. I would however like to see LeBeau retire and the Steeler's go to a 4-3. I think Haley is 50/50 to return I think they need to win 7 games for him to save his job. This is what I would like to see the roster look like next year for a quick turn around. I don't believe we need to blow it up

DT-Cam Heyward, Al Woods

QB-Ben, Grad, Jones
    FB-Will Johnson
    Agree on all accounts. We don't have the players for the 3-4 and IMO haven't for the past couple years. Only way to rapidly rebuild the defense is to let new players from college play positions they are familiar with...not sit and watch.

I also see Jarvis Jones more as a OLB even in the 4-3 than an impact 4-3 DE.

SKL--do you really think the Steelers or any other team even sniff at Colt Lyerla?
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-05-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post

DT-Cam Heyward, Al Woods

QB-Ben, Grad, Jones
    FB-Will Johnson
    SKL, I always appreciate your insight, but I think that roster stinks. There is no beef on that defenisve line. If you move Heyward to DT, you need a big run stuffer next to him, not McClendon. And Vince Williams as the ILB? Ugh. He has shown a few flashes from time to time, but he's mostly shown that he is not an NFL caliber talent right now. I also don't see Jones as a DE. He barely has the bulk to be a 3-4 OLB. That defense might actually be worse against the run than this group.

On the offensive side, the Steelers need a big WR. If not a tall WR, at least a powerful guy who can catch a ball when he is covered. When was the last time Sanders caught a contested pass?

I do agree with you that Tomlin will be safe this offseason (not necessarily that he should be, but that he will be), but after his collapse last year and the putrid performance this year, I'd put him on the hotseat. I'd also remove him from personnel decisions. The Cowher/Colbert tandem was great. The Tomlin/Colbert tandem has been below the line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Where is the "hot seat" everyone wants Tomlin on? Is it in Rooney's office? Is it heated by gas, electric, coal or wood?

Seriously though, I'm sure Tomlin and Art II talk quite a bit in a rational manner about the situation and they probably very much have similar views. Neither likes it, but Art II knows full and well they took a risk keeping players longer than we probably should of trying to get that "one more" Super Bowl. That screwed up our salary cap and gave us very little flexibility to improve the roster and that decision was from the top not Tomlin's.

As much as some want to sacrifice Tomlin (I call it "throwing a virgin into the volcano" creates lots of attention, but accomplishes nothing). Be careful what you ask for. Look around the league and tell me who would be available that would be better. The Rooney's want a steady hand and won't panic like fans will. They know they have a very good coach will succeed over the long term which is how they look at things. Glad they are in charge.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 11-05-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Where is the "hot seat" everyone wants Tomlin on? Is it in Rooney's office? Is it heated by gas, electric, coal or wood?

Seriously though, I'm sure Tomlin and Art II talk quite a bit in a rational manner about the situation and they probably very much have similar views. Neither likes it, but Art II knows full and well they took a risk keeping players longer than we probably should of trying to get that "one more" Super Bowl. That screwed up our salary cap and gave us very little flexibility to improve the roster and that decision was from the top not Tomlin's.

As much as some want to sacrifice Tomlin (I call it "throwing a virgin into the volcano" creates lots of attention, but accomplishes nothing). Be careful what you ask for. Look around the league and tell me who would be available that would be better. The Rooney's want a steady hand and won't panic like fans will. They know they have a very good coach will succeed over the long term which is how they look at things. Glad they are in charge.
    I'm pretty sure the FO and the coaches knew it was going to be a rough season. If we could see it early on I'm sure they knew it as well.

Starter

User Info Menu

Good article from Wexell (Free) about the state of the team.

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1343212.html[/URL]

I agree with this part:

Pittsburgh fans demand better, and they're demanding retribution for being embarrassed like that, but I doubt it will happen. The tape shows willingness, hustle, even enthusiasm on the part of the Steelers. Of course, that won't be believed by Steelers fans (and their fans in the media) who won't bother to review the tape. If they do, they'll realize it had more to do with a lack of talent than anything else.
    Last edited by steelsnis; 11-05-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Agree on all accounts. We don't have the players for the 3-4 and IMO haven't for the past couple years. Only way to rapidly rebuild the defense is to let new players from college play positions they are familiar with...not sit and watch.

I also see Jarvis Jones more as a OLB even in the 4-3 than an impact 4-3 DE.

SKL--do you really think the Steelers or any other team even sniff at Colt Lyerla?
    On the Jones front I just think the one thing he does well is rush the passer, liability at this point in coverage.

As far as Lyerla no I don't think they would. With 1st round talent though I would take a flyer on him in the 6th or 7th.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the FO and the coaches knew it was going to be a rough season. If we could see it early on I'm sure they knew it as well.
    Agree 100%. It was pretty obvious we had to take a step back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last year, this was a team that obviously had some talent, as evidenced by their good early start. With the same bunch, Tomlin oversaw the collapse. This year, not only is their record bad, but the Steelers just haven't looked prepared or focused. If the Steelers endure another dreadful season in 2014, that woudl be more than enough of Tomlin for me.

The other big question with Tomlin is how much responsibility does he bear for the lack of talent on the roster? He certainly has some role in player evaluation. You can raise the excuse of the cap problems, older players, etc. But that doesn't explain the failure of recent draft classes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Good article from Wexell (Free) about the state of the team.

[URL]http://pit.scout.com/2/1343212.html[/URL]

I agree with this part:
    well.... this is true to a degree but it's not like the Pats are oozing with talent this year.

IMO it looked like our secondary wasn't prepared... we had tons of blown coverages and that has more to do with scheme or lack there of.