Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 5 more selections til...Martavis Bryant!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Shawn, Mike Wallace was not a polished route runner and had shaky hands too. It worked out pretty well. This guy can instantly be a deep threat and red zone target. Some of the catches he DOES make are unbelievable. I LOVE the pick. Antonio Brown should take him under his wing, because if his hands develop Brown will face single coverage and B corners for the rest of his career.
    Never had to worry about Mike Wallace making an "unbelieveable catch." Bryant is an instant plus in that area because he actually has great body control and will fight for the ball.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz
    Bryant would be a HOFer if we passed on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    He still will be
    very nice... both of ya!!
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Martavis Bryant's potential excites Steelers

PITTSBURGH -- ESPN analysts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay don’t always agree when evaluating draft-eligible players. But their thinking falls along the same lines when it comes to Steelers fourth-round draft pick Martavis Bryant.

Kiper listed the former Clemson wide receiver as one five offensive players drafted in the later rounds who could make an immediate impact in the NFL. McShay also said that Bryant has a chance to contribute early for the Steelers.

“He does a really nice job of getting off the line and he’s a vertical route runner,” McShay said. “You’ve got a big, strong-armed quarterback like Ben Roethlisberger and you want a guy that can stretch the field vertically. There’s some boom or bust there, but when you get him in the fourth round you’re not worried so much about the risk factor. If he focuses and does all the right things he could wind up being a real steal from this class.”

The 6-foot-4, 212-pound Bryant gives the Steelers the tall wide receiver that the offense has lacked. His 40-yard dash time (4.42 seconds) at the NFL scouting combine as well as his career yards per catch (22.2) at Clemson validate his potential as a big-time deep threat.

And he started only one season at Clemson where first-round picks DeAndre Hopkins and Sammy Watkins overshadowed Bryant, meaning he is far from a finished product -- something that should excite the Steelers’ coaches as well as challenge them.

“He’s what I have been hunting,” Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann said. “Probably had he played more [at Clemson], stayed for another year, he would have been a first-rounder for sure. I think all that he needs to learn we will teach it to him.”

Bryant slipped to the fourth round of the draft because of concerns about his maturity as well as his inconsistency as a pass-catcher. The Steelers hosted Bryant for a pre-draft visit and were comfortable enough after what they heard from him to think that he will be fine in the right environment.

As for the drops he had in college, Mann said that is something that can be easily corrected and can probably be traced to Bryant’s hand placement or his trying to run before securing a catch.

“He does a really good job of tracking the ball and catching it over the top,” Mann said. “A lot of times guys can’t do it and it’s very hard to teach.”

McShay agreed that Bryant’s ball skills are undeniable.

“He was inconsistent catching the ball but he also makes tough catches,” McShay said, “and he can adjust to the ball below his waist, over his head, behind his body.”

It is way too premature to get overly excited about Bryant, who takes part in the Steelers' three-day rookie minicamp that starts on Friday.

Fred Gibson, the last physically gifted wide receiver that the Steelers drafted in the fourth round (2005), didn’t even make it out of training camp. And for all of the buzz created by the second-round selection of Limas Sweed in 2008, the former Texas standout caught just seven career passes for the Steelers.

Chronic drops were one of the reasons why the Steelers released Sweed in 2011.

One thing that Mann won’t do is speculate on how big of a role Bryant will have in the Steelers’ offense as a rookie. But he also won’t rule out Bryant challenging for the starting job opposite Pro Bowler Antonio Brown.

“You have to come in and work because we have other guys in the room,” Mann said. “Potentially he will be a starter, you just never know. You play the best. That’s how you win.”

[url]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/6530/martavis-bryants-potential-excites-steelers[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I live in Charlotte and there are a lot of Clemson fans at my job. Every single one of them has been talking nonstop about how we got the steal of the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I live in Charlotte and there are a lot of Clemson fans at my job. Every single one of them has been talking nonstop about how we got the steal of the draft.

I have a friend whois a Clemson fan and he says the same thing. He says if Watkins wasn't there Bryant would have stats to support being 1st or 2nd Round pick.

Rookie

User Info Menu

WRs currently on the roster:

Dri Archer (listed as RB/WR)
    Antonio Brown
    Justin Brown
    Martavis Bryant
    Danny Coale
    Jasper Collins
    Darrius Heyward-Bey
    Kashif Moore
    Lance Moore
    Derek Moye
    Lanear Sampson
    Markus Wheaton

The Steelers kept 5 WRs in 2013 and 5 WRs in 2012...

The Steelers kept 4 RBs in 2013 and 5 RBs in 2012...

I think that even if you count Archer as an RB roster spot, the Steelers will carry only 5 WRs...

IMHO, the "safe" spots are boldface type...

Predictions?

For me, I think Heyward-Bey gets the 5th spot, bumping Moye off the roster...

Justin Brown has one more year of PS eligibility...

Most of the other guys I've barely heard of...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    WRs currently on the roster:

Dri Archer (listed as RB/WR)
    Antonio Brown
    Justin Brown
    Martavis Bryant
    Danny Coale
    Jasper Collins
    Darrius Heyward-Bey
    Kashif Moore
    Lance Moore
    Derek Moye
    Lanear Sampson
    Markus Wheaton

The Steelers kept 5 WRs in 2013 and 5 WRs in 2012...

The Steelers kept 4 RBs in 2013 and 5 RBs in 2012...

I think that even if you count Archer as an RB roster spot, the Steelers will carry only 5 WRs...

IMHO, the "safe" spots are boldface type...

Predictions?

For me, I think Heyward-Bey gets the 5th spot, bumping Moye off the roster...

Justin Brown has one more year of PS eligibility...

Most of the other guys I've barely heard of...
    Barring injuries I think you have hit the nail on the head.

IMO Moye (the new Issac Redman) and Brown could only make it if one of the other guys are injured.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Moye isn't the new Redman...

Redman actually produced on the field...

Legend

User Info Menu

I was about to say the same thing...

Legend

User Info Menu

Both mariginal NFL talents who fans fell in love with for no apparent reason