Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kovacevic: Steelers disciplined? Come again?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Not trying to defend the article. But my impression of the Steelers THIS past season (and not in comparison to any former Steelers organization) is that it was not very disciplined.

Too many penalties - particulary the STUPID ones
    Too many mental mistakes
    Too much loss of focus
    Erratic time managment
    Too many turnovers - one game in particular
    Overall I think the NFL has turned more and more into an entitlement league.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Not trying to defend the article. But my impression of the Steelers THIS past season (and not in comparison to any former Steelers organization) is that it was not very disciplined.

Too many penalties - particulary the STUPID ones
    Too many mental mistakes
    Too much loss of focus
    Erratic time managment
    Too many turnovers - one game in particular
    Got to agree with this. More than just a few isolated incidences, it was a pattern with this team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Overall I think the NFL has turned more and more into an entitlement league.
    It's just more reflective of the culture. Young people the age of most NFL players also seem to have this attitude in great quantities.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Ernie Mills shooting at Police helicopters
    For what its worth, that was Ernie Holmes (70's DT), not Ernie Mills (90's WR). Mills was a solid citizen, as far as I can remember.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    ...it may have actually helped us that Colon (12 penalties) and Ike (8 penalties) missed the last part of the season with injuries.
    Ike Taylor had one bad game early in the season with four penalties; otherwise he was fine. As for Willie Colon, I noticed how the offensive line basically stopped committing penalties once he was gone. On the other hand, has anybody else noticed how many penalties our WRs have been getting, including holding? This just proves that Hines Ward was the only WR who knew how to block or stay focused.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Ike Taylor had one bad game early in the season with four penalties; otherwise he was fine. As for Willie Colon, I noticed how the offensive line basically stopped committing penalties once he was gone. On the other hand, has anybody else noticed how many penalties our WRs have been getting, including holding? This just proves that Hines Ward was the only WR who knew how to block or stay focused.
    nah... I'm not buying the holding on WR... seems like holding can be called on every play and anytime a WR has a solid block it must be a hold. Holding is the worst penalty in football IMO because it could be called every play and tends to get called at the worst times.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dejan Kovacevic, kudos to you. Those claiming he had no substance with his assertion that this team lacks discipline must be blind. I have said this all season, for the most part. Tomlin shows up with a big gut, and promptly oversees a team that also lacks discipline across the board. Sloppy, lazy, unfocused = lacks discipline. Dejan is right on the $ here. And it takes balls for any media person in Pgh to tell the truth about the Steelers; they routinely threaten to take away perks from reporters who touch on areas that the Rooneys prefer go ignored. I know this for a FACT. This guy may have just had his tail gate tent tickets (free food and beer), premium parking pass, luxury box tickets etc. revoked. There isn't really a free press in Pgh when it comes to the Steelers.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For what its worth, that was Ernie Holmes (70's DT), not Ernie Mills (90's WR). Mills was a solid citizen, as far as I can remember.
    LOL. Pardon the error. My mind isn't clear as I have been laying on the couch all day home from work sick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah DK's on thin ice. Art's probably arranging the cement shoes as I type this.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Oh, and besides being sloppy with idiotic penalties, other signs of lack of team discipline:

- Our star OLB shows up sloppy, fat, pudgy which leads to him playing like crap and getting hurt. That's not a lack of discipline? And what's Tomlin do about it? Not a damn thing.

- Our star receiver hold out for all of camp and preseason and then shows up to promptly drop passes, shows no interest in putting forth any effort and has a bad attitude all season. What's the coach do? Not a damn thing.

- Our star QB just carelessly wings passes all over the place, tossing game-losing pics more than once. When the season was to be made or broken, with the play off on the line, he loses BOTH games (Dallas and Cinci) with game-losing interceptions to end the game. No excuse for the utter sloppy and bonehead play; a bright and shinning example of lacking discipline.

- Our star running back is sloppy in carrying the ball and then pouts when he is told he would not be dressing and proceeds to not show up for work on game day (even though he wasn't playing).

- Some of our O linemen were just vastly overweight. No discipline.

- Our #2 WR couldn't bother to bend over and fall on a ball in the endzone, just giving up 5 points as if it was meaningless.