Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT - Anyone Think NCAA Sanctions Against PSU Were Enough?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I don't know what the proper course of action is on this situation. You have individuals that were culpable and one has been prosecuted and sentenced, a couple are waiting their day in court and another is deceased. It seems the people responsible for the entire fiasco are going to be punished within the framework of the legal system. At this point what do the sanctions and fines levied against Penn State accomplish? I know it feels like something should be done due to the heinous nature of the crimes, but the criminals are being tried and my guess is that they will all be punished. I don't see Spanier and Schultz not serving time right along with good ol Jerry.

So, the fines and sanctions will now penalize PSU students, recruits, businesses that had absolutely nothing to do with the crimes of 14 years ago. The current students were somewhere between 4 and 8 years old while this was occurring. There are going to be civil lawsuits from each and every victim of Sandusky and I'm certain the remuneration handed out will approach 1 billion dollars before its all said and done.

I'm a Pitt graduate and there's no love lost with the PSU football program, but I'm not certain that this is accomplishing anything positive. The players who have signed on to play at PSU are being given the option to seek scholarships elsewhere, but what if other colleges don't see their skill set as one that fits into their program? This year's seniors, what are they going to do? Does the scholarship loss affect the Title IX scholarships that are awarded? It seems there is more down side to this and I have yet to rationalize an upside.

The perpetrator is being punished and his enablers will be tried and dealt with legally and one of them is dead. The victims will be compensated which is the best that anyone can do for them now. It would be nice to go back in time and stop Sandusky before he committed the heinous acts, but we can't, so the best society can do is compensate the families and that will be done. Punishing the current students, former students, local businesses, the University itself seems fruitless in my humble opinion.

The PSU football program may never be relevant again and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. SMU has never been a relevant football program since they received the death penalty in 1987 (I think). Their transgressions were NCAA football related, they were not criminal and they deserved what they received. In this case, it's deviant behavior and the cover-up of the behavior which isn't really football related at all. It could have just as easily been a professor of the engineering department and the director of the department and the president of the university covering it up because, the professor was one of the best mechanical engineers in the country.

I guess, something had to be done, but I'm not sure this is the answer. Couldn't the University been made to start some type of foundation to raise awareness of child molestation and fund the foundation nationally, not just in Centre county Pennsylvania? Wouldn't that be more beneficial to more people?

Who benefits from this decision?
    Anyone at all?
    Students? No
    Athletes? No
    Business? No
    Parents? No
    The victims? No
    Current administration? No
    NCAA? No

I just don't see anything positive out of this decision.

Pappy

Exactly in line with what I have been saying. THis was the NCAA avoiding the media and destroying a lot of good at Penn Sate so they would "appear" to be doing the right thing. Nothing they did was right!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm also trying to figure that one out.
    because we have never won a Super Bowl without a Penn State player on the roster and that may never happen again. Hope that helps.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    because we have never won a Super Bowl without a Penn State player on the roster and that may never happen again. Hope that helps.
    Not really. PSU is an amateur team. The Steelers are an NFL team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think they shouldn't have cut any scholarships or cut bowl games. What I think they should have done is take EVERY PENNY PSU earns via football from the school and put it towards ending this crap. Let them play a bowl game. But let that money go to a good cause. Let them be competitive to keep revenue rolling in. But redirect that revenue towards a good cause. No reason to punish athletes that weren't there when this stuff happened. No reason to punish the student body. No reason to punish the current coaching staff (even if he did coach for the *'s). Let PSU generate millions of dollars for a good cause over the next 5 years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They are way too much. What positive is accomplished? Nothing. It is a typical feel good gesture where a bunch of bureaucrats pat themseleves on the backs and say how good and righteous they were.

This was an act of individuals who should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. An institution is not a living, thinking being. The institution did not choose to do anything, individuals working in jobs aligned with that institution did.

Are currents and future students benefiting from this decision...NO

Are the victims benefitting...NO

How many fewer scholarships and aid will be available to students because Penn State is giving up $60M? Anyone benefit from that...NO

How many student athletes don't get a scholarship now because PSU has to forfeit them? Does that benefit student athletes...NO

How many students in non-revenue producing sports suffer because the football program is not bringing in money? Does that benefit anyone...NO

Are current football players who have worked their whole lives for a chance to play in the NFL benefitting...NO

Are the numerous small businesses in Central PA who make a large amount of their annual revenue during football weekends benefitting...NO

It was a poorly thought out, short sighted gesture to make people "feel good." Feel good gestures rarely have any real positives. The NCAA is a bunch of self-righteous buffoons.

WOW! You and I agree on something here. All the times we disagree on stuff, on this particular subject, we're on the same page...We might be in the minority, but I think/ know we're right on this..
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    the whole "innocent kids are paying for this" is nonsense... when a football program gets punished it's usually the incoming players who had nothing to do with the infractions who are punished....

The program hid this and let innocent kids get raped so they could increase the stadium size and school population.
    PSU "hiding" Sanduysky's actions....

PSU alum shouldn't feel shamed for scholarships they earned but how many of these scholarships would have been wiped out or non-existent if PSU put it out there 10 years ago? Would you still go to PSU if it was put out there 10 years ago? Just asking?

Would I go to PSU again if I had to make the choice right now? Probably not. But I thought that before this all came out too. PSU is more expensive than it was worth to me.

The hardcore PSU people from PSU families will not falter...they will rally behind this and try to show that the school is about more than football. Good for them, I hope they can sway the public's perception in the future.

The fringe people who would go because PSU is a football school and should be fun....I think there's a real strong chance they go somewhere else.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Would I go to PSU again if I had to make the choice right now? Probably not. But I thought that before this all came out too. PSU is more expensive than it was worth to me.

The hardcore PSU people from PSU families will not falter...they will rally behind this and try to show that the school is about more than football. Good for them, I hope they can sway the public's perception in the future.

The fringe people who would go because PSU is a football school and should be fun....I think there's a real strong chance they go somewhere else.
    If those who go to college simply to party choose someplace else, then that might indirectly help bolster Penn State's academic reputation.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The courts are punsihinh those who should be punished. The NCAA were cowards because they punished Penn State to avoid their own scrutiny in the media. They didn't want to answer tough questions so they threw Penn Sate and all those who had nothing to do with the tragic events under the bus. They are self righteous hypocrites because they had no problem taking the money that Penn State football generated under Paterno.
    What the NCAA is saying is that the entire culture of the PSU football program, under Joe Pa, enabled these atrocities to repeatedly happen...McQueery spoke to Joe Pa, but not the police...

Is he really the only guy who saw Sandusky showering with a kid? No. I've read reports stating that other coaches saw him as well....

It was swept under the rug and enabled by the University Administration and the football program...

Legend

User Info Menu

This and there's no one creating many Steelers threads during the offseason.

If there were a bunch of interesting Steelers threads, no one would have bothered clicking or responding. It seems like it would have naturally disappeared to page 2.

It seemed football related. We've had our share of PSU players on the roster. It was a little off topic. There really hasn't been much in the way of Steelers news other than DD signing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What the NCAA is saying is that the entire culture of the PSU football program, under Joe Pa, enabled these atrocities to repeatedly happen...McQueery spoke to Joe Pa, but not the police...
    Conspiracy theory - The last PSU win not to be erased? McQueery was the QB. Coincidence?