Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers cut Rainey...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Now that's an expensive phone, ebay anyone was it worth 600,000+
    He will replace that $ soon enough. Someone will sign him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I know one thing: The report said, he "chased after the woman" with her bag. How long do you think that "chase" lasted? I am guessing she didn't get very far. Dude has jets. I am saddened by this. He could have had a very bright future, not just with returns but with the offense over all. Could have been our Sproles. Bummer. But it's not like it's the kid's first trouble of this nature. Welcome to Oakland, kid.
    it's not a good look to chase a woman down with her purse in hand... but it's Florida, she may have moves.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

He will replace that $ soon enough. Someone will sign him.
    Maybe... But it's not like he had a great season to take a risk on if you ask me.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

But it's not like it's the kid's first trouble of this nature. Welcome to Oakland, kid.
    that wasn't Ta'amu's first drunk driving incident either yet he is still a Steeler.

double standard??

DUI charge was second for Steelers' Ta'amu

October 16, 2012
    By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Teammates of Steelers rookie nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu, facing multiple felony and misdemeanor counts after a police chase early Sunday morning, said it is important to support him and help him, even though they acknowledged what he is charged with doing was wrong.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the case is being reviewed "under the appropriate league policies," but indicated any action in terms of discipline would have to come from the Steelers. Records obtained by the Post-Gazette show that this was not the first time Ta'amu has been charged with driving under the influence.

Ta'amu's attorney, Robert Del Greco, said a preliminary hearing has been set for 8 a.m. Oct. 23. Ta'amu was released from jail Sunday on $25,000 bail.

"You don't stand by in the sense of making him feel this is right," said safety Ryan Clark, the team's player representative. "You don't 'amen' this in that it's OK to do. But you don't throw him away, you don't exile him from the team, you don't stop talking to him, you don't stop being his friend.

"If you're family, you don't do that. When someone in your family makes a mistake, you try your best to work through it with him, not make him go through it by himself."

It was not known what immediate disciplinary action the Steelers will take with Ta'amu, a fourth-round draft choice from Washington.

He faces felony counts of fleeing police and aggravated assault while driving drunk; and three counts of aggravated assault for nearly running down police officers with his vehicle. He also is charged with 10 misdemeanors, including resisting arrest and attempting escape. Police said he crashed his 2006 Lincoln Navigator into several vehicles while fleeing them on the South Side.

Court records show that Ta'amu also was charged with driving under the influence in October 2011 for an incident that occurred Dec. 12, 2009, when Ta'amu was playing for the University of Washington. Trooper Joe Gannon of the Washington State Patrol wrote in a report that he stopped Ta'amu for driving 73 mph in a 60 mph zone on Interstate 5 about 3:40 a.m. and "smelled an odor of alcohol coming from him and ... observed his blood-shot watery eyes."

Police said Ta'amu, who was 19 at the time, blew a 0.097 and 0.098 on breath tests and told them he drank six Budweisers in three hours before he attempted to drive home in a 1993 Chevrolet Suburban. Prosecutors initially charged him with driving under the influence, but he instead later pleaded guilty to negligent driving, for which he was sentenced to one day in a community-work program and ordered to pay a $350 fine.

When former wide receiver Santonio Holmes was charged on a misdemeanor count of marijuana possession Oct. 25, 2008, coach Mike Tomlin did not let him practice the rest of the week and held him out of a game against the New York Giants.

At the time, Tomlin said Holmes was being deactivated for the game because his situation had created "a distraction" for the team. Tomlin's decision was never termed a suspension, and it was not known if Holmes lost one week's salary.

Typically, the league lets the involved team handle disciplinary measures for offending players.

If, however, the league does not think the punishment is severe enough, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell can increase the penalty for the player and also fine or discipline the team.

"It's up to the league and the team's job to figure out the consequences of what he did, but it's our job to love him up and let him know what he did was wrong but that we're still here for him," said nose tackle Casey Hampton, Ta'amu's idol and mentor.

The NFL Players Association provides a program called "Safe Rides" in which players can call for a ride home if they feel as though they are unable to drive.

The program is run by a private investigation firm and is available to players anywhere in the United States and Canada. Players also pay $85 per hour for the service, which has its phone number on the back of every union card.

It is believed the Steelers have some type of similar arrangement for its players, as well."It's a sad deal," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "He's a talented young kid who made a mistake, a serious mistake. He's under a lot of heat right now, and rightfully so. We're going to love him and, hopefully, he can learn from these mistakes.

"Ta'amu, who is of Samoan descent, is known among his teammates as a polite, quiet and easy-going player who is quick to smile and pleasant to be around.Clark said he and Troy Polamalu went to the movies with Ta'amu at training camp and often ate with him."That's what bothers me and hurts me," Hampton said. "I know he's a good guy, but what he did was serious, dude, and you can't take anything away from that and I'll definitely let him know that. You got to let him know the severity of it, but, at the same time, you got to try to pull him back in and bring him back in and let him know we're here for him."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-players-acknowledge-taamus-mistake-657709/#ixzz2HbZghIcO[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Maybe... But it's not like he had a great season to take a risk on if you ask me.
    For a rookie 5th-round pick I think he showed enough. Most later round rookies don't get to show anything their first year. It's not as if he was a first or second round pick. Pgh didn't have to put much into him at all, and he definitely, at the very least, showed he could become a premiere returning. And that alone is worth more than a 5th round pick.

Backup

User Info Menu

Another knee-jerk reaction by Colbert...Just like the Antonio Brown contract....

I am by no means condoning Rainey's actions....

Legend

User Info Menu

if rainey produced more or had a bigger cap hit he'd still be a steeler.
    who are the steelers trying to fool into believing this was a moral thing?

Legend

User Info Menu

Guess it had to be done.

Dumb move Rainey.

Might be in the Steelers best interests to be consistant from here on in regards to legal trouble (they do ok, normally). For a team that wasn't overly disciplined last season, this might be the catalyst needed to start changing attitudes in the squad.

As to the Steeler outlook at RB- Chadman was thinking the Steelers needed that 3rd down, take it to the house type RB anyway. Rainey hadn't proven he could be that guy yet, so as a player, all we'll really miss is the KR/PR ability.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This recent action by the Steelers may increase the odds of drafting a RB earlier in the rounds, we'll see.

Legend

User Info Menu

He didn't show me much at all this season, I'll not miss him. Tevon Austin is much better, and would fit the bill as a replacement.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION