Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Official Visit Thread

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    TCU wide receiver Josh Boyce 5'11" 206 to come in for a visit as well
    VERY happy to see this. Boyce looks a great pick in the middle rounds.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I saw posted that Todd Haley was at Florida State's pro day. Do you think it was to check out Menelik Watson? This raised my curiosity when I first saw it. A lot of defensive guys for Fl. State but didn't think of any offensive players beside QB EJ Manuel.

According to Walter football, Watson is NFL ready as a run blocker but needs experience with pass protection. Good athlete from England. Charles Davis talks highly of him as well. Just thought it interesting.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

I saw posted that Todd Haley was at Florida State's pro day. Do you think it was to check out Menelik Watson? This raised my curiosity when I first saw it. A lot of defensive guys for Fl. State but didn't think of any offensive players beside QB EJ Manuel.

According to Walter football, Watson is NFL ready as a run blocker but needs experience with pass protection. Good athlete from England. Charles Davis talks highly of him as well. Just thought it interesting.
    Maybe..... or could be Rodney Smith...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers will be hosting UCLA RB Jonathon Franklin & Nevada SS Duke Williams..

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Watson seems to be a prototypical tackle for the zone blocking scheme that emphasizes athleticism over bulk. Among our other recent high picks, Pouncey, DeCastro, and Adams would also seem to fit the new scheme that Bicknell is implementing, while Gilbert does not. Using a 2nd round pick on a LT prospect that fits our new OL blocking scheme to replace a 2nd round LT prospect that fits our old OL blocking scheme might be a possibility. Considering Gilbert's injury history (injuring himself and others), and that might clinch it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

TCU wide receiver Josh Boyce 5'11" 206 to come in for a visit as well
    College RB, WR visit Steelers

By Alan Robinson
    Published: Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Steelers finally moved away Thursday from bringing in college linebackers for visits, hosting receiver Josh Boyce of TCU and running back Johnathan Franklin of UCLA.

Thin at linebacker after releasing James Harrison, and with 2012 draft pick Sean Spence's status in doubt, the Steelers concentrated on linebackers by bringing in seven for visits from Monday to Wednesday.

Receiver is an equally critical need for the Steelers, but Boyce was the first wideout to visit the team's South Side offices. Franklin was the second running back. Two safeties visited earlier.

The Steelers can bring in as many as 30 players for in-house visits in advance of the NFL Draft from April 25-27.

Franklin could be available to the Steelers in the second or third round, or about when they might target a running back.

He was not highly recruited out of Dorsey High School in Los Angeles, but he went on to make 45 college starts. Franklin left UCLA as the school's all-time leading single-season rusher (1,734 yards) and career rusher (4,403). He also accounted for 4,920 all-purpose yards.

The 5-foot-11, 205-pound Boyce projects as a slot receiver in the NFL; his career high at TCU was 61 catches as a junior. He had strong results across the board at the NFL Scouting Combine in February but was later diagnosed with a broken toe and was unable to work out at TCU's pro day last month.

Boyce projects as a mid-round draft pick.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3781588-74/steelers-boyce-franklin#ixzz2PX96Dteu[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

What we've seen thus far

By the end of Thursday, the Steelers this week will have had at least 12 of their rookie visitors in for meetings. UCLA running back Jonathan Franklin and Nevada safety Duke Williams will be in on Thursday.

That will mean that the Steelers will have had seven linebackers - John Simon, Vince Williams, Jarvis Jones, Jamie Collins, Khaseem Greene, Michael Mauti and Malliciah Goodman

- three safeties - Williams, Jonathan Meeks and Phillip Thomas - and two running backs - Franklin and Christine Michael - in for visits.

What can we read into that?

Judging from who and the number of linebackers they have brought in, the Steelers aren't going to be looking linebacker in the first round.

Sure, Jones is considered a first-round prospect, but it's likely the Steelers were kicking his tires and having team doctors check out his spinal stenosis issue. The other six guys are all expected to be second round picks or lower.

Michael and Franklin are both considered second or third-round prospects at running back, a position at which there might not be a first-round selection this season unless somebody falls in love with Eddy Lacy.

And the three safeties are all mid-round guys.

What's missing from the players the Steelers have brought in thus far? Wide receivers.

The Steelers have a need at that position and there is a good crop available this year. But none have walked through the doors at the Steelers' offices at this point.

The team can have as many as 30 visitors, and for all we know, their next 20 visitors could all be wideouts. But at this point, if I were a betting man, I'd guess they're looking at taking a wideout in the first round.

The Steelers hosted another group of rookies today, while also having a veteran guard in for a visit.

The rookies included trio of linebackers - Jarvis Jones, Jamie Collins and Khaseem Greene - and a pair of safeties - Jonathn Meeks and Phillip Thomas.

The veteran guard was former Houston part-time starter Antoine Caldwell.

Jones is the lone potential first-round pick of the bunch, though I've seen some mocks with Greene sneaking into the first round.

Jones has a neck issue that the Steelers will want to check out for themselves, so this was likely a fact-finding issue. He is a first-round consideration for the Steelers.

Collins is a 6-4, 250-pound outside linebacker from Southern Mississippi. He ran a very quick 4.64 40, did 19 reps of 225 on the bench press and showed off his explosiveness with a 41 1/2 inch vertical at his workouts.

He spent a lot of time in opponent's backfields in the past two seasons, recording 39.5 tackles for a loss and 16.5 sacks. He is said to be lacking in instincts, which is why he's more of a second-to-third round prospect.

Greene is a player many in Pittsburgh are familiar with since the former Rutgers star is the brother of Pitt running back Ray Graham. At 6-1, 241, he's not as big as Collins, but has a better motor and instincts.

Greene also runs in the 4.6 range, which is what you'd expect for a former safety. But he also excels in forcing turnovers. He recorded 125 tackles, 5.5 sacks and forced six fumbles in 2012. In Pittsburgh's defense, he would likely be an inside linebacker and would be a second-round possibility.

Thomas is a playmaking free safety who recorded 13 interceptions and six forced fumbles at Fresno State. And at 6-1, 208, he looks like an NFL safety. He did, however, have a knee injury in 2011 that cost him the entire season.

Meeks is a 6-1, 205-pound safety from Clemson who is more of a late-round prospect. He did, however, run a 4.55 40.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS0602[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Judging from who and the number of linebackers they have brought in, the Steelers aren't going to be looking linebacker in the first round.
    Not sure that isn't the writer trying to find justification for his "WR in Round 1" prediction.

Only Jones, Simon, Collins & Goodman are OLB's. In that group you have 1 1st round type & 3 mid-round types. It could be that the Steelers are just covering themselves- they want Jones, but if he's gone, these other players in Round 3 (for example) are the fall-back plan.

Could be the same at ILB where Greene is a Round 2 type, but Mauti & Williams are later round guys. If they miss Greene, then the other 2 could be fall-back options.

Not saying this IS the case, but it makes as much sense as what the writer is trying to suggest.

Also, the Steelers have brought in TCU WR Josh Boyce- a mid round WR...

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Updated Official List. Seeing two different reports. Both are not the same. Both saying that the RB visited from UCLA however one report says the TCU WR while the other says it was the SS from Nevada. I have added both. But I will watch this because it isn't consistent.
    Last edited by calmkiller; 04-05-2013 at 07:40 AM.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I really like Khaseem Greene from Rutgers, I hope this is one of those visits that turns into a draft pick.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska