Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JD Woods WR West Virginia High

Legend

User Info Menu

JD Woods WR West Virginia High

Seems to have some blocking skills and good concentration. This is scouting video but shows some promise. May have a chance to the PS.

2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I posted this video in the UDFA thread when he was signed. He has great hands and runs good routes but he can be tackled by a fly. He never breaks tackles.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by calmkiller View Post
    I posted this video in the UDFA thread when he was signed. He has great hands and runs good routes but he can be tackled by a fly. He never breaks tackles.
    You know him very well, right? Practice squad material or any chance even small to make the roster?
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    You know him very well, right? Practice squad material or any chance even small to make the roster?
    He never was the main returner at WVU, so that will hurt him. I honestly can't remember if/when he contributed on Special teams. I will have to research that more. (Fake edit: 1 punt return for 6 yars and 2 KO returns for 12 yards and 2 total tackles career) I could see him making the PS, but I don't see us carrying more that 5 WRs. We drafted 2 and have AB, Sanders, Jericho, Burress on the roster now. So that basically shows you our first 6 options. He is on the outside looking in and depending on how he performs on ST, that would have to be how he makes the roster. If the questions comes down to his hands and concentration I would have no issue with it, but it'll be about what he can contribute other than WR.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

No thanks on JD Woods, that's coming from a WVU guy here. As Calm said, he is easily tackled and never showed much at WVU. I believe he was originally brought in to WVU as QB, then made the switch to WR.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Backup

User Info Menu

Another WVU fan's opinion...

To his defense, he was on the same receiving corp as Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin...
    which limited his opportunities a bit. Might make the practice squad, and develop into a potential 53 man guy in a few years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Another WVU fan's opinion...

To his defense, he was on the same receiving corp as Stedman Bailey and Tavon Austin...
    which limited his opportunities a bit. Might make the practice squad, and develop into a potential 53 man guy in a few years.
    To counter that, he had to have Tavon and Stedman on the field to put up the numbers that he did. And he had to go against Big 12 defenses. I am not saying the Big East was a powerhouse (lol) by any means, but the Big East knows how to play defense. And the defense in the Big East is superior to the Big 12 defenses. He put up solid numbers with Stedman and Tavon being doubled and against terrible defenses. He did nothing in the Big East.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

I didnt see the kid play. I was going by his very biased scouting video. Although from that video, I did take away the thought of him making the PS because he has very good hands and good concentration. Depending on how much he puts into it, he could be a good receiver, from what I saw.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree his highlight reel made him look special. He did little things well like had an above average sense of where the ball would be, ability to block out, ability to pull in circus catches, how to sit down in a zone appropriately, terrific body awareness, and hands that are well above average. With that said, it's why I try not to make my analysis on YouTube highlights...as I trust the WVU homers opinion on this one.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would trust the homers, but for all we know they could be very below average MMQB's.......or SMQB's as the case would be here.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S