Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Why does this team not prioritize the CB position?

Legend

User Info Menu

after they were up big??

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Right, sicko. Like the Tomlin-era Steelers are the only team that ever switches a guy to a new position? Again, how old are you? Ever heard of Troy Brown? The Pats had him playing DB after years on the offensive side. They started using Hernandez in the backfield in addition to TE. The Bears used Devon Hester on offense. Chuck Noll switched Larry Brown from TE to left tackle midway in his career. There are dozens of examples.

And you know very well why college DEs were switched to LB in our 3-4. But please go on flaunting your ignorance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Seahawks did tackle the catch quite a bit in the Super Bowl, but it's not really how they got there...Their corners typically play very tight and physical...kind of the anti-"LeBeau 10-yard cushion".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    Right, sicko. Like the Tomlin-era Steelers are the only team that ever switches a guy to a new position? Again, how old are you? Ever heard of Troy Brown? The Pats had him playing DB after years on the offensive side. They started using Hernandez in the backfield in addition to TE. The Bears used Devon Hester on offense. Chuck Noll switched Larry Brown from TE to left tackle midway in his career. There are dozens of examples.

And you know very well why college DEs were switched to LB in our 3-4. But please go on flaunting your ignorance.
    NE only used Troy Brown at CB due to complete desperation; they had like 5 CBs go down those years. They never drafted him intending to move him there. Please. Not even close to a legit example.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Seahawks did tackle the catch quite a bit in the Super Bowl, but it's not really how they got there...Their corners typically play very tight and physical...kind of the anti-"LeBeau 10-yard cushion".
    Exactly like the anti-LeBoo system.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OK, sick, want a better example? You seem to think Seattle is the current role model for NFL franchises. OK, in 2012, Seattle's pick in the first round was Bruce Irvin, DE from WVU. Well, he played DE in college but he does not play DE for Seattle. He plays OLB. They always intended to switch him because he's not physically suited to being an NFL DE. Do you wanna go on with this notion that only the stupid Steelers do it?

As for Troy Brown, regardless of why he ended up at DB, it helped that he was versatile enough to do a creditable job of it.

I notice you didn't comment on the other examples I mentioned. I can add many more if you wish...your choice.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RobinCole View Post
    OK, sick, want a better example? You seem to think Seattle is the current role model for NFL franchises. OK, in 2012, Seattle's pick in the first round was Bruce Irvin, DE from WVU. Well, he played DE in college but he does not play DE for Seattle. He plays OLB. They always intended to switch him because he's not physically suited to being an NFL DE. Do you wanna go on with this notion that only the stupid Steelers do it?

As for Troy Brown, regardless of why he ended up at DB, it helped that he was versatile enough to do a creditable job of it.

I notice you didn't comment on the other examples I mentioned. I can add many more if you wish...your choice.
    It is common for smallish DEs to switch to 3-4 OLBs; do you think that is news? My point is, this team spends way to long in converting players from one position to another, which either fails or takes too long to get them on the field. This is well known among Steeler fans. Why this team is so happy to have to make players change their position is beyond me. It must be an ego thing. I am sensing way too much ego with our coaches.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    It is common for smallish DEs to switch to 3-4 OLBs; do you think that is news? My point is, this team spends way to long in converting players from one position to another, which either fails or takes too long to get them on the field. This is well known among Steeler fans. Why this team is so happy to have to make players change their position is beyond me. It must be an ego thing. I am sensing way too much ego with our coaches.
    Again, when has this happened with defensive backs?

Carnell Lake?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sick, i prove you flat wrong with the Irvin example and your response is, "Well, EVERYBODY does THAT".

Who's writing your material? This is funny stuff.

Uh, yeah, you do remember Carnell Lake, don't you? Another guy who changed positions. Now weasel out of that one.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Incidentally, Irvin didn't convert to a 3-4 OLB...he
    converted to a 4-3 OLB....