Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How could teams like the 49ers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

How could teams like the 49ers

And Seahawks stack up on all young studs but yet we hang on to old slow vets? Are they that much better at drafting or we just hanging on too long.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    And Seahawks stack up on all young studs but yet we hang on to old slow vets? Are they that much better at drafting or we just hanging on too long.
    Seattle:

2012: 11-5
    2011: 7-9
    2010: 7-9
    2009: 5-11
    2008: 4-12

Plus giving Marshawn Lynch another chance to shine AND hitting on some later draft picks

Niners

2003: 7-9
    2004: 2-14
    2005: 4-12
    2006: 7-9
    2007: 5-11
    2008: 7-9
    2009: 8-8
    2010: 6-10

I'd say that's enough info to effectively answer your question. Especially with the Niners.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers did make changes with younger players while trying to keep the core intact, but when you have players like Hampton, keisel, Harrison for example its tough for a new player to replace them. When JH was out because of injury, Carter took his place but the fall off was significant, sometimes its just the younger players can't produce like the vets we have.

Probably the main reason is these teams you mentioned had bad records prior to the last two years. Their starters wern't good enough and the draft picks got playing time earlier and eventually replaced them. Don't forget when you have high draft picks that are superior to players you already have the turnaround can be sooner.

Personally, I can't complain, our Steelers are always competitive even this year when we lost 5 of our eight by 3 points. We were just in the Super Bowl in 2010, 2008 and 2005. How many teams outside of New England have a record like ours in the last decade?

Look no one is satisfied with our past season, but in todays NFL its tough to maintain a championship team, even staying competitive for years is a milestone these days.

In my opinion the Steelers did a great job, now it looks like we will be seeing more younger players infused to our roster, however it comes with a price as these players have to develope and you have to deal with mistakes until they can be counted on to contribute at a high level.

Just this season you seen players from our most recent draft get playing time, Decastro, Beachum, Rainey,Paulson, Adams and Spence would have too so we are putting younger players in.
    Hey we may not like it but it could possibly take a few 8-8 or worse records to get back on top, or we get lucky in the draft and turn it around next season.

Our team is on the clock meaning we have to hope we can get the impact players sooner while Ben is still our QB, once he leaves someday it will be tough to get a replacement for him, it took us over twenty years to get a QB like him since Bradshaw left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

A lot of the younger players we have selected in the draft aren't very good and didn't live up to expectations that come with their draft position.

Legend

User Info Menu

They've been better at drafting and implementing young players than we have over the past few years. Let's face it, when you've had some success, it's easy to become complacent in those areas. The way Colbert sounded in that last interview, I betcha they won't be as complacent this time around.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can't be complacent with where our roster stands. Need to clean house of the old dudes and oft injured players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Can't be complacent with where our roster stands. Need to clean house of the old dudes and oft injured players.
    $$$$$ When Colbert talked about "blowing things up," I think maybe this was what he had in mind.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    A lot of the younger players we have selected in the draft aren't very good and didn't live up to expectations that come with their draft position.
    bingo.....

Legend

User Info Menu

This is the same way we got Ben. ONE BAD SEASON was all we needed to do our damage.
    Had we been a playoff team the previous season we would STILL be having trouble at QB.

Those teams were mostly losers for a decade.
    Big advantage in building their current young rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Seattle:

2012: 11-5
    2011: 7-9
    2010: 7-9
    2009: 5-11
    2008: 4-12

Plus giving Marshawn Lynch another chance to shine AND hitting on some later draft picks

Niners

2003: 7-9
    2004: 2-14
    2005: 4-12
    2006: 7-9
    2007: 5-11
    2008: 7-9
    2009: 8-8
    2010: 6-10

I'd say that's enough info to effectively answer your question. Especially with the Niners.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

It's coaching too.... other coaches had that talent in SF and couldn't do anything with it.