Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

Administrator

User Info Menu

What was Tomlin thinking?!?!

by not kicking the FG on 3rd down? That was freakin' stupid.

If it was a bad snap, we would have been hosed. I can't believe Tomlin ran the ball on 3rd down. For what? To gain another 2 yards and risk a fumble? No excuse for that poor coaching decision. I thought that was coaching 101. If that was coaching 101 then Tomlin failed miserably.

You just can't expect to be a contender and make poor decisions like that and... the penalties.. that is just a sign of a undisciplined team.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

Well if you cant execute a short fg then you deserve to lose.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    by not kicking the FG on 3rd down? That was freakin' stupid.

If it was a bad snap, we would have been hosed. I can't believe Tomlin ran the ball on 3rd down. For what? To gain another 2 yards and risk a fumble? No excuse for that poor coaching decision. I thought that was coaching 101. If that was coaching 101 then Tomlin failed miserably.

You just can't expect to be a contender and make poor decisions like that and... the penalties.. that is just a sign of a undisciplined team.
    I agree with your point about when to snap, but there's something to be said for the run and giving Suisham every extra yard possible ... he hasn't exactly proven himself to be Mr. Dependable, and if we can't trust our team to execute a handoff and not get hit for a loss when the chips are on the line, we're not going anywhere this post-season anyway.

A little off topic - though only 30 yards or so, that kick WAS a high pressure kick ... hopefully it'll give him the cojones when he has to win us a game in bad weather with a 55 yard kick later this year.

Back to Tomlin - I think we have enough data on Tomlin to know what where his weaknesses are (clock management, challenges, etc.), and what his mean that he will regress to is. Kind of like Ben - more like Farve than Brady, he is who he is.

But wait ... Ben is getting LOTS better this year, going through progressions, dumping off pretty quickly instead of holding on to the ball long enough to take a sack-fumble. So, maybe Tomlin will get noticeably better too! I think he should HIRE better people in the booth about when to challenge, and some smart dude whose only job is to watch the clock.

I agree about the discipline though - his ability to control the team has always been trumpeted as his biggest strength, but now I'm wondering if we're beginning to see cracks in that ... see my rant in the post titled "Pouncey's snaps ..." for more on that.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Backup

User Info Menu

Challenges come from guys in the booth (steeler coaches). You guys say Tomlin cant control the team. Really? Tomlin is the 2nd coach that players want to play for in the NFL. So I'm sure you bloggers know better than the actual guys playing the games. You guys ALL got on Arians when he was here. What is he doing now? You were wrong about him and you are wrong about Tomlin. Tomlin went 3-1 without his franchise Qb. How did the Colts do without theirs?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Challenges come from guys in the booth (steeler coaches). You guys say Tomlin cant control the team. Really? Tomlin is the 2nd coach that players want to play for in the NFL. So I'm sure you bloggers know better than the actual guys playing the games. You guys ALL got on Arians when he was here. What is he doing now? You were wrong about him and you are wrong about Tomlin. Tomlin went 3-1 without his franchise Qb. How did the Colts do without theirs?
    Because Tomlin is buddy buddy with his players. Thats why guys want to play for him. Is it not that obvious?

Sometimes the best coaches and the best managers are not the "cool" dudes. You don't have to be cool to be a good coach and being "cool" or "liked" by your players does not make you a good coach either.

I think Tomlin walks that fine line of almost being to buddy buddy with his players. You need to have that clear separation no matter what.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Well if you cant execute a short fg then you deserve to lose.
    No... things happens. The weather was crappy, a bad snap, whatever...

Not kicking on 3rd down was incredibly stupid.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only problem I have with Tomlin right now is , not Benching Willie, not starting McClendon over Hampton, not starting Cam over Kiesel and not giving Adrian Robinson some pass rushing snaps. What down he kick the field goal on is petty in my book and no need for discussing. Now if we kick on 3rd and Philly have a big return and tie the game then some of you same posters would bitch about that..
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Actually, I think the Rooney's did the right thing by firing Arians. I like the playcalling much better than last year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yea kick on 3rd down and leave Philly with 30 sec, along with the way the defense is playing and kicking on 3rd is more dumber than this post. It took Oakland about a min to get in field goal range, with no name receivers I think the Eagles offense have better receivers .
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 10-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    The only problem I have with Tomlin right now is , not Benching Willie, not starting McClendon over Hampton, not starting Cam over Kiesel and not giving Adrian Robinson some pass rushing snaps. What down he kick the field goal on is petty in my book and no need for discussing. Now if we kick on 3rd and Philly have a big return and tie the game then some of you same posters would bitch about that..
    Wrong... a squid kick or even a kick out of bounds would solve that... take the penality. Vick has an arm but he wouldn't be able to chuck it 70 yards to the end zone. That depends on the time that was left... if more time than 1 play then obviously don't kick it out of bounds. Still, a squid kick is sound logic. Not kicking on 3rd is fuzzy logic at best.