Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: This free agency period could be crazy

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    ....My favorite right now is Larry Grant with the 49'ers. He started for Patrick Willis in the 49'er 3-4 and excelled at coverage and stopping the run.
    Dude is a career back-up. Spot starting or coming in to give a guy a breather once in a while does not always translate into a good 16 game starter. He's been in this position for 5 years with two teams. Personally I would like to have something better for our beloved Steelers....but that's just me.

If we are going to go that route I'd rather draft T'eo or Minter. Give me lightening in a bottle over a fizzy-lifting drink any day.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If they cannot re-sign Lewis, that will leave them a little bit of room for low level free agents with potential like Larry Grant. Grant will not command big dollars, but could have a big impact at MLB and on special teams.
    With a name like "Big" Rob I'd think you would want bigger for our Steelers?? "Could" have a big impact? Are you kidding me? If my aunt had...well I think you get it. Should-of, would-of, and could-of is something I personally am not interested in for my Steelers...especially at a starting ILB spot. And you want to be my lay-text man? Come on Rob... wheres the Big at? Lately you've been coming at us like smallRob.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Dude is a career back-up. Spot starting or coming in to give a guy a breather once in a while does not always translate into a good 16 game starter. He's been in this position for 5 years with two teams. Personally I would like to have something better for our beloved Steelers....but that's just me.

If we are going to go that route I'd rather draft T'eo or Minter. Give me lightening in a bottle over a fizzy-lifting drink any day.
    Did I say to come in and start? I said he COULD come in and if he is better than a back-up: start. Otherwise he is a fantastic back-up and special teams player with the potential to fill in admirably for a few games ala Keyaron Fox.

He is measurably better than Sylvester at this point.

I don't think the Steelers should let it keep them from grabbing another MLB in the draft. I guarantee you it won't be in the first round.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-07-2013 at 02:24 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I see this happening:

Harrison will be cut. Colon WILL take a pay cut to stay.

BB, Woodley, Timmons, Miller, and Troy will all be part of the re-structure and/or add a year to get under cap. They also may want to look at early extensions on Hood & Pouncey.

Dwyer, McLendon, Redman, Sanders, Sylvester, Van Dyke, & B Batch will be tendered.

Lewis will be the priority and will be locked up. They will also get Legursky signed. G Warren may sign for min, if not them will wait. Joe Long is also a long snapper.

The only FA outside I think they will explore is a younger-more durable vet QB if he could be signed at THEIR price. Maybe a Hoyer, Moore, or Stanton.

Wallace, Hampton, Foster, Burress, B Johnson, D Johnson, W Allen, Pope, Mendy, Mundy, Lefty, C Batch, Foote, & Starks will be allowed to test the market & will not be back before the draft. I expect Wallace, Foster, & Mendy to get deals before the draft from other teams.

THE DRAFT

Foote, Starks, Burress, Pope, B Johnson, & W Allen/Mundy MAY come back after the draft if holes need to be filled. I also expect the Steelers, at this time, to continue to look for a younger-more durable veteran back-up QB if they didn't get one signed before the draft. This is the Steelers FA wave & there may be cuts after the draft. Lefty may get a deal elsewhere but I think Batch will be the fallback plan. I expect a 1st or 2nd year guy, a rookie, or an UDFA to make the team as the #3.

I believe B Batch, Sylvester, and DVD have to earn their roster spot even though they get tendered. I believe Suisham has a burning sensation in the back of his neck called Hrapmann or a rookie and he may not make final cuts if it is close because of his 1.76 mil cap hit. Cotchery, Colon, & Keisel will have to hold off "the young" to remain through final cuts. Everyone mentioned in this section may be classified as "operating room under the cap" cut for 2013. At this point, Colon would be a post June 1st cut.

There is you new look Steelers for 2013. 2014 will finish the cleaning. If Cotchery, Colon, & Keisel make the 2013 roster it will be their last. 2013 will be Clark's last year (If he plays). Polamalu & Taylor will have to show in 2013 they have another year left or they will be the BIG 2014 cap cuts. We hate to see them go. The good news is...The purge of declining vets & "creative capping" will be complete going into 2014 with a talented young core in place. Lets just hope the only issue at that point will be getting the next franchise QB in here to learn behind BB.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 02-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I see this happening:Harrison will be cut. Colon WILL take a pay cut to stay. BB, Woodley, Timmons, Miller, and Troy will all be part of the re-structure and/or add a year to get under cap.They also may want to look at early extensions on Hood & Pouncey.Dwyer, McLendon, Redman, Sanders, Sylvester, Van Dyke, & B Batch will be tendered. Lewis will be the priority and will be locked up. They will also get Legursky signed. G Warren may sign for min, if not them will wait. Joe Long is also a long snapper. The only FA outside I think they will explore is a younger-more durable vet QB if he could be signed at THEIR price. Maybe a Hoyer, Moore, or Stanton. Wallace, Hampton, Foster, Burress, B Johnson, D Johnson, W Allen, Pope, Mendy, Mundy, Lefty, C Batch, Foote, & Starks will be allowed to test the market & will not be back before the draft. I expect Wallace, Foster, & Mendy to get deals before the draft from other teams.THE DRAFTFoote, Starks, Burress, Pope, B Johnson, & W Allen/Mundy MAY come back after the draft if holes need to be filled. I also expect the Steelers, at this time, to CONTINUE to look for a younger-more durable veteran back-up QB. Lefty may get a deal elsewhere but I think Batch will be the fallback plan. I expect a rookie or an UDFA to make the team as the #3. I believe B Batch, Sylvester, and DVD have to earn their roster spot even though they get tendered. I believe Suisham has a burning sensation in the back of his neck called Hrapmann or a rookie and he may not make final cuts if it is close because of his 1.76 mil cap hit. Cotchery, Colon, & Keisel will have to hold off "the young" to remain through final cuts. Everyone mentioned in this section may be classified as "operating room under the cap" cut for 2013. At this point, Colon would be a post June 1st cut. There is you new look Steelers for 2013. 2014 will finish the cleaning. If Cotchery, Colon, & Keisel make the 2013 roster it will be their last. 2013 will be Clark's last year (If he plays). Polamalu & Taylor will have to show in 2013 they have another year left or they will be the BIG 2014 cap cuts. We hate to see them go. The good news is...The purge of declining vets & "creative capping" will be complete going into 2014 with a talented young core in place. Lets just hope the only issue at that point will be getting the next franchise QB in here to learn behind BB.
    I agree with you it will be a two year process. They will have lots of compensatory picks next year and possibly one as high as the third round. The Cap is supposed to finally jump up quite a bit in 2014 after being flat for 2 years. That would allow them a lot of flexibility in 2014.

A quick comment on the Ravens. For 6 years they've had a top tier QB on the cheap. That ends in 2013.

I hope they have fun trying to build a championship roster having to pay Flacco top QB money. They will likely have to pay Flacco 20 million dollars in the form of an exclusive franchise tag this year and it will damage their roster.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-07-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with you it will be a two year process. They will have lots of compensatory picks next year and possibly one as high as the third round. The Cap is supposed to finally jump up quite a bit in 2014 after being flat for 2 years. That would allow them a lot of flexibility in 2014.

A quick comment on the Ravens. For 6 years they have had a top tier QB on the cheap. That ends starting in 2013.

I hope they have fun trying to build a championship roster having to pay Flacco top QB money. They will likely have to pay Flacco 20 million dollars in the form of an exclusive franchise tag this year and it will damage their roster.
    This is why I was hoping for a Ravens win. SB Winning QB, who won MVP and has made the playoffs every year of his career (with at least 1 win / year). He will get PAID and it should hurt the Ravens cap wise.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    This is why I was hoping for a Ravens win. SB Winning QB, who won MVP and has made the playoffs every year of his career (with at least 1 win / year). He will get PAID and it should hurt the Ravens cap wise.
    no disrespect but that's a pathetic way to compete with the Ravens...

was this the same plan they used on us? Just let age catch up to us and then go on a run when we hit rock bottom? Yes, I think a .500 year is rock bottom

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Watching the Ravens win the SB is hitting rock bottom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 7, 2013

How did the Pittsburgh Steelers get into this situation? The usually fiscally sound organization has fallen on hard times with the salary cap.

The philosophy of pushing money into the future ended with the new CBA, and the Steelers are at the front of the line for paying back it’s long due credit line.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if you thought last year was tough, this year will be brutal.

He’s referring to the impending slashing of veterans as the “March Massacre.” Pittsburgh’s GM Kevin Colbert gave an indication in January that major changes were going to happen, but no one expected what Bouchette is envisioning:

“The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents, and they might have to lose a few more veterans if they don’t agree to take less money in 2013, they are so far over the salary cap that they would not be able to fill a 53-man roster without doing all of that,” Bouchette said.

Bouchette continues:

“The bloodletting that occurred last year when they released three longtime stars could be a drop in the bucket as to what occurs over the next month, which could resemble their March Massacre.”

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_fire_sale_the_steelers_could_lose_every _one_of_their_free_agents/12862057[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Pittsburgh fire sale: The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents

Submitted by 60 Max Power O Staff on February 7, 2013

How did the Pittsburgh Steelers get into this situation? The usually fiscally sound organization has fallen on hard times with the salary cap.

The philosophy of pushing money into the future ended with the new CBA, and the Steelers are at the front of the line for paying back it’s long due credit line.

According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, if you thought last year was tough, this year will be brutal.

He’s referring to the impending slashing of veterans as the “March Massacre.” Pittsburgh’s GM Kevin Colbert gave an indication in January that major changes were going to happen, but no one expected what Bouchette is envisioning:

“The Steelers could lose every one of their free agents, and they might have to lose a few more veterans if they don’t agree to take less money in 2013, they are so far over the salary cap that they would not be able to fill a 53-man roster without doing all of that,” Bouchette said.

Bouchette continues:

“The bloodletting that occurred last year when they released three longtime stars could be a drop in the bucket as to what occurs over the next month, which could resemble their March Massacre.”

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/pittsburgh_fire_sale_the_steelers_could_lose_every _one_of_their_free_agents/12862057[/URL]
    This cracks me up!! There will not be one player the Steelers lose that they want to keep. A simple restructuring of contracts like Ben's, Woodley's, and Timmon's will allow them to keep any player they want.

Hilarious!!