Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: James Harrison might be released by Steelers

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup. had him for his first 3 in the league. not quite like having him for 6 while at his prime.
    Yup, nothing like having the best Rookie QB in history, and the youngest QB to ever win a SB. Had nothing to do with Cowher's success at all.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Harrison is as tough as they come. He willed himself back onto the field. He has not only had the spine issues (something that is not uncommon for people who lift heavy weights frequently) but the also the knee issues. Troy would take off with those problems. But even a tough man like Harrison cannot mentally beat the deterioration of his joints and body. Because he is so tough, he still has value, but right now, it is vet mininum. It is difficult for a player who has reached the zenith of the sport and been very well paid, to accept that type of comedown. So, he might be released. The Steelers cannot pay him 7-8$ million to miss 1/3 of the year. I think the D improved when he came back, but it was not all his doing either.

But I do have confidence in Worilds. I also don't think he has shown only ability to rush the passer and nothing in any other areas. Not true. He plays the position and drops into coverage and plays the run, decent. He can improve in those areas and I think he will. With playing time. So, I am little excited about Worilds getting his shot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    Because he is so tough, he still has value, but right now, it is vet mininum.
    Someone will be willing to pay him more than vet minimum, and James knows it.

I think the Steelers would like to have him back, but they are cap-strapped. The way Harrison's contract is structured makes him an easy choice for release. . .I think it will save something like $5 million against the cap.

I still have a faint hope that somehow, they can sign him back...but that flame is just about out. If we've seen the last of James in the Black and Gold, I'm mighty grateful for his contributions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Worilds better take advantage if he gets a shot, its his last year under contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Yup, nothing like having the best Rookie QB in history, and the youngest QB to ever win a SB. Had nothing to do with Cowher's success at all.
    no doubt that helped cowher's success but noway near what it has done for tomlin. tomlin never would have even been competitive if he had bubby, miller, tomzak and kordell. he's leading this team to mediocrity with an elite qb and the best organization in the sport.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Harrison still has value to the Steelers but at their price. Harrison has unearned money in his pocket from the Rooneys...People forget that. If you were the owner of a franchise you want return on your investment. Just because it isn't money's due doesn't mean it isn't monies that needs to be earned. They aren't talking to Harrison because of lack of confidence in Worilds. They are talking to Harrison because he isn't playing to his contract and they can ask him to take a pay cut because they have leverage and his replacement.
    What unearned money? Because he wasn't the defensive player of the year? I think the steelers wouldn't mind paying him, they just can't afford it. There were a lot of underperforming players with a lot less heart than Harrison. If they all played with half of his intensitye steelers wouldn't have been on the outside looking in.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison’s tenure with Steelers could be coming to end

By Staff and Wire Reports
    Published: Friday, March 8, 2013

The Steelers might be ready to see if there is life beyond James Harrison.

With the NFL free agent signing period set to begin Tuesday, the Steelers and Harrison have been unable to work out a deal that would keep the five-time Pro Bowl linebacker in Pittsburgh but at a reduced cost.

Bill Parise, Harrison's agent, didn't want to get into specifics Friday, but shortly after talking to Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert, he said, “It's not going good.”

The Steelers do not comment on contract negotiations.

The Steelers, who are only several million dollars below the salary cap, could be asking Harrison to take a substantial reduction from his scheduled salaries of $6.57 million in 2013 and $7.575 million in 2014 — the final two seasons of a $51.75 million, six-year contract.

Players nearing the end of their careers — Harrison will be 35 next season — typically renegotiate the final years of a such a contract.

“I know where we are, but I don't think it's appropriate to say anything yet,” Parise said.

Parise expects the situation to be resolved shortly. He said Harrison wants to stay with the Steelers but is prepared to move on if necessary.

The question for Harrison is whether a team would give him a two-year contract at his age.

Cutting Harrison — even if it frees up more than $5 million of salary cap space in 2013 — would be risky for the Steelers given that Jason Worilds never has been more than a part-time player, and Chris Carter did not play well during Harrison's absence early last season.

Despite injuries, Harrison had 70 tackles and six sacks last season and graded out as the NFL's 10th-best outside linebacker in Pro Football Focus' rankings.

While teams cannot sign free agents until 4 p.m. Tuesday, a newly created three-day window, which starts Saturday, allows teams to talk with agents in advance of the signing period. No signing can be announced until the opening of free agency if a deal is reached.

STEELERS TALK WITH FOSTER

The Steelers had contract discussions with Ramon Foster's agent, Joel Segal, on Thursday and could make the unrestricted free agent offensive lineman an offer after the organization gets a better idea of their finances, a source with knowledge of the meeting said.

However, an offer may come too late and under market value. Arizona, Chicago and Tennessee have shown interest in the 27-year-old guard.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3625436-74/harrison-steelers-million#ixzz2N15DwhAP[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers can only offer Harrison a backup's salary due to their cap situation and maybe they would also ask him to split significant time with Worilds as a way to extend his career a few years? Seems this would benefit both sides.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    no doubt that helped cowher's success but noway near what it has done for tomlin. tomlin never would have even been competitive if he had bubby, miller, tomzak and kordell. he's leading this team to mediocrity with an elite qb and the best organization in the sport.
    Right. Cowher never went 8-8 with Ben...

Backup

User Info Menu

He's gone. Tweeted goodbye just now.