Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Vikings expected to battle Dolphins for Mike Wallace

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Report: Vikings expected to battle Dolphins for Mike Wallace

The Dolphins have been expected to [URL="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/20/report-mike-wallace-is-the-dolphins-top-target/"]be heavy bidders[/URL] for wide receiver [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5329/mike-wallace"]Mike Wallace[/URL] in free agency for some time and it looks like they’ll have some company from up north.

Jeff Darlington of NFL.com reports that the Vikings [URL="http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/story/0ap1000000147334/article/mike-wallace-not-greg-jennings-miami-dolphins-biggest-target"]are expected to join[/URL] the Dolphins in the quest to add Wallace to their offense. That’s not surprising news, given the state of the Vikings’ receiving corps with [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin"]Percy Harvin[/URL] and the lingering possibility that they won’t wind up having Harvin in the fold when the 2013 season gets underway.

With the Dolphins missing out on several big targets over the last few years, it would be a cruel twist for them to lose out to one of their former general managers. Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman once ran the show in Miami and now he could keep the Dolphins from landing the apple of their eye.

The Vikings might not be the only bidder. Peter King said the Titans could be in the mix for Wallace on Tuesday’s Pro Football Talk on NBC Sports Network and it wouldn’t make Dolphins fans feel any better if Ruston Webster is the one who winds up landing the big fish. They’ve been the bridesmaid for players ([URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3202/vincent-jackson"]Vincent Jackson[/URL], [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1493/peyton-manning"]Peyton Manning[/URL]) and coaches (Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Fisher) often enough that there need be no special salt in the wound for it to sting all over again.

Darlington reports that the team thinks the new three-day negotiating window this year will work to their advantage since it will give them a better sense of the market than they had when the Buccaneers outbid them for Jackson last year. That could wind up working the other way just as easily, though, and we it’s hard to imagine why that would make the Dolphins likelier to get him than being able to sign a player as soon as possible. In other words, we’ll still be waiting to see if the wind blows the Dolphins’ way this time around.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/06/report-vikings-expected-to-battle-dolphins-for-mike-wallace/[/url]
    Mike's gonna get a come up.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Up here, he'll freeze into an ice sculptor in the St Paul Winter Carnival. This is not Mike Wallace weather, and after this coming season they'll be playing two years outdoors in the Gophers' new stadium while the new complex is built. Add to that the away games in GB and Chicago. They'll have to mortgage the Mississippi to pay him enough to come here.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I heard the report too, there are other teams on the radar that have cap room that could have Mike on their list. One I seen not talked about much is the Bengals. With A.J. Green & Wallace they would be a formidable offense, combine that with their defense and they could make a lot of noise in our division and the NFL.
    Problem is I don't know if the Bengals owner would be willing to pay him what he wants, but no doubt some team will. I would hate to see us try and cover both Green and Wallace, they could be a nightmare for any secondary to cover not just the Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I heard the report too, there are other teams on the radar that have cap room that could have Mike on their list. One I seen not talked about much is the Bengals. With A.J. Green & Wallace they would be a formidable offense, combine that with their defense and they could make a lot of noise in our division and the NFL.
    Problem is I don't know if the Bengals owner would be willing to pay him what he wants, but no doubt some team will. I would hate to see us try and cover both Green and Wallace, they could be a nightmare for any secondary to cover not just the Steelers.
    Nah, Mike Brown can't afford to pay Wallace a huge contract and then give A.J. Green a huge contract. Green will want an extension after this year.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Nah, Mike Brown can't afford to pay Wallace a huge contract and then give A.J. Green a huge contract. Green will want an extension after this year.
    The only place Brown cant afford it is in his own mind. That's good enough for me!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Good! Drive it up and solidify a 3rd comp. Sign with the Dolphins so WR won't be addressed in round 1.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147633/article/mike-wallace-rashard-mendenhall-lead-list-of-risky-free-agents[/url]

At this time next week, there will be a lot of stupid money being thrown around the NFL with free agency well underway. And you just know some teams are going to make mistakes. Let's get a head start and lay out the nine riskiest free agents about to hit the open market:

Open market
    With the NFL free agency period set to kick off March 12, Gregg Rosenthal breaks down the top 85 available players in the league starting with Mike Wallace.

1. Mike Wallace

My man Gregg Rosenthal has him ranked as the No. 1 player in free agency. My guy Jeff Darlington reports the Miami Dolphins covet Wallace and could be in a potential bidding war with the Minnesota Vikings for the speedster's services. And both teams certainly are in desperate need of a No. 1 wide receiver.

But I don't think Wallace is the guy and worthy of the mega bucks he will receive. He's too inconsistent and not reliable.

Think about it. The Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the smartest and classiest organizations in sports, are about to let Wallace walk away. They've had enough. That should be a major red flag.

Wallace is all about the money. I don't think he prioritizes winning. He selfishly held out last year, didn't make an extra penny and helped derail the Steelers' season. Wallace wasn't part of the off-season programs and didn't learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook. He then had an underachieving season filled with a case of the yips.

The San Francisco 49ers needed a receiver last year. They passed on Wallace, then a restricted free agent, and instead used their first-round pick (what would've been the compensation) on a project receiver who never played. The New England Patriots also needed a wideout. They wouldn't do it.

At times, Wallace can be flat out majestic, with a knack for taking a short pass to the house or streaking down the sideline for a score. But he wants top dollar, and I wonder aloud if he will take the money and just be too satisfied with his paycheck.

7. Rashard Mendenhall

I'd rather play with 10 men on offense than put Mendenhall at running back. He's been a bust as a player. He was suspended in 2012 for being a bad teammate. Mendenhall can't hold onto the football and can't stay healthy. Otherwise it has all worked out.

The Steelers will let him go. Another team shouldn't get duped by where he was drafted. You can't bank on this cat.

Wow, not very flattering for either player.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Hoping for HUGE contracts for both MW an RM. I want all the comps!

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at free agency

by Dale Lolley

Those who don't think Mike Wallace is going to get a big payday in free agency haven't been very realistic.

At look at any of the free agency rankings done on pretty much any web site will tell you that. Wallace is young and fast and productive. The fact is, Wallace has game-changing speed.

Sports Illustrated did a free agency fantasy draft - a different idea - and Wallace was the top pick. CBS Sportsline's Pete Prisco ranks him as the second-best free agent available.

Steelers cornerback Keenan Lewis will also be in demand.

Lewis went with the 22nd choice in the SI draft. Prisco ranked him 18th and third among available cornerbacks.

That should give you an idea of why the Steelers felt the need to sign William Gay.

Guard Ramon Foster went in the 18th round in the four-team SI draft, making him the third, and last, Steelers player on the list.

Interestingly enough, offensive tackle Max Starks was not selected. The four guys picking were trying to build a team by filling every position available, which means Starks could have been the ninth-best tackle rated by the selectors, but that doesn't mean Starks won't get offers on the free agent market.

[URL]http://www.observer-reporter.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SPORTS0602[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Wallace is all about the money. I don't think he prioritizes winning. He selfishly held out last year, didn't make an extra penny and helped derail the Steelers' season. Wallace wasn't part of the off-season programs and didn't learn new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's playbook.
    A few inaccuracies here:

1. He wasn't a holdout, he was a free agent.

2. He did learn the offense, he had his playbook while not under contract. He knew the offense so well that his coaches were impressed with how much he did know when they gave him a crash course test the week he signed his tender and reported.