Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Velasco staret tonight?

Backup

User Info Menu

Will Velasco staret tonight?

Have not seen anything yet. Did I miss it or has bit been known. Really excited to see this kid play. If he is the real deal. Wonder if they would consider letting Pouncey walk after first contract or turn one into a guard. Might be a very good interior line. With Foster backing up . Not sure don't want to get ahead of myself. But has it been official will he start tonight?

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm pretty certain he's starting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Damn you guys are so hellbent on getting rid of good offensive lineman. He's the best player on our offense and you want to let him walk.
    If any one walks because of him it would be Foster. The guy is a guard.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    Damn you guys are so hellbent on getting rid of good offensive lineman. He's the best player on our offense and you want to let him walk.
    No do not want him to walk. But not sure we will be able to sign him as he will command top 3 money in the league at center position. And not sure his play has been up to par the last 2 years to warrant that. We are in poor shape with salry cap so we may not have an option but to let him test market.

Legend

User Info Menu

Fernando Velasco is center of attention

[url]http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nflnation&id=85975&src=desktop[/url]

By Scott Brown | September 13, 2013 2:49:42 PM PDT
    PITTSBURGH -- Steelers players are tight-lipped about who will start at center Monday night in Cincinnati, but all indications are that Fernando Velasco will get the call a week after signing with the team.

Velasco
    Velasco has made a quantum leap since immersing himself in the Steelers’ playbook, and his playing center would allow the team to use Kelvin Beachum as a sixth lineman/eligible receiver.

The Steelers had planned to use Beachum extensively in that role in the season opener, but the second-year man had to take over at center after Maurkice Pouncey went down with a season-ending knee injury.

The Steelers signed Velasco, who started 13 games at center for the Titans in 2012, and he appears to have a strong enough grasp of the offense to play against the Bengals.

“I’ve never seen a guy come in and pick up an offense that fast,” Steelers running back Isaac Redman said. “I haven’t seen him mess up one play.”

Velasco has spent so much time in his playbook away from the Steelers’ practice facility that he hadn’t turned on the TV in his hotel room until Thursday night. He took a brief break from studying to watch the Jets-Patriots game.

“A lot of the schemes here are the same ones we ran in Tennessee,” Velasco said Friday after practice. “I’m just trying to get the terminology down.”

When asked if he feels he will be ready to play Monday night, Velasco said, “No doubt, but we’ll see what happens.”

“He knows how to play," starting left guard Ramon Foster said. "He’ll be fine.”

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Beachum would start at center but he hedged that by adding, “for now.”

If the coaches are comfortable that Velasco has indeed been a quick study, it makes all the sense in the world to use Beachum as an extra lineman in Cincinnati.

The Steelers are going to need all the help they can get running the ball against the Bengals, and tight end Heath Miller still appears to be at least a week away from returning as he works his way back from a major knee injury.

That makes Velasco their best option at center.

“I’m just going to do my job if it comes to a situation where I have to play,” Velasco said. “I’m not going to put too much pressure on myself. I don’t want to be out there thinking.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No way do you let Pouncey walk. NO WAY. saying he isn't worthy of being a pro bowler and in running for All Pro is ridiculous. He and his brother are the two best centers in the league and there's a hair difference between them.

Legend

User Info Menu

From ESPN:

Velasco has made a quantum leap since immersing himself in the Steelers’ playbook, and his playing center would allow the team to use [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/15035/kelvin-beachum"]Kelvin Beachum[/URL]as a sixth lineman/eligible receiver.

“I’ve never seen a guy come in and pick up an offense that fast,” Steelers running back [URL="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12898/isaac-redman"]Isaac Redman[/URL] said. “I haven’t seen him mess up one play.”

When asked if he feels he will be ready to play Monday night, Velasco said, “No doubt, but we’ll see what happens.”

Said Velasco, "As long as I understand the plays, don't put too much pressure on myself, and stay away from DeCastro; I should be ready to play if called on"

Ok...I may have made up that last sentence...

Legend

User Info Menu

No way do you let Pouncey walk. NO WAY. saying he isn't worthy of being a pro bowler and in running for All Pro is ridiculous. He and his brother are the two best centers in the league and there's a hair difference between them.
    Not sure you make him the highest paid Center in the NFL or close to it which is going to be his demand. The guy can't stay healthy for a full season.

I just don't see him as dominant.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought that he played center last year and that he is better at center than at OG, at least from some of the reports I've heard.

In any event, Pouncey is probably the best player on a bad offensive line - I wouldn't let him walk for Velasco. IF he performs well, it would be nice to keep a capable backup in the fold, especially given Pouncey's past injury issues.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    his playing center would allow the team to use Kelvin Beachum as a sixth lineman/eligible receiver.

The Steelers had planned to use Beachum extensively in that role in the season opener
    It may just be me, but the emphasis of getting Beachum on the field as an extra TE is lost on me. Why not spend more time trying to figure out how to get Wheaton and Felix on the field instead. I would think you want your most talented players on the field. And the 3 TEs and FB don't seem to rate that high in the pecking order imho.

I thought Haley was supposed to be able to maximize the talent he has? Like he ran in KC and passed in AZ. All he seems to be able to do here is trot out all these mediocre players into our formations and we wonder why he's failing. Something doesn't smell right here. Is a playbook being forced onto Haley as well? Cause some of this stuff defies logic.