Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: To the Rooneys with respect,

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Polamalu View Post
    Why Cowher and not Chuck Noll??? Wouldnt you rather replace Tomlins players with Chucks Hall of Famers? Then we would win 4 more Super Bowls easily.

And why not be sincere as opposed to sarcastic ? When in reality it's just a defense mechanism on your part to help you cope with the fact that as predicted years ago,...Mike Tomlin would do the same thing to this franchise that Gruden did to the Bucs unit created by Dungy,....run it into the ground with poor drafting and personnel decisions. Coach Cowher would still be very effective as a head Coach and has a great understanding of the Steeler Ideal that we all hold dear whether we agree or not.
    While my post was sarcastic it was every bit as realistic as your post.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Make coach Cowher an offer to return as Head Coach. And if he excepts, remove as many players as possible drafted under Tomlin's regime. And perhaps even make a trade for or draft a QB that he (Coach Cowher) believes in,.....he will take care of Coaching, molding and drafting all other personnel to return our honor on both sides of the ball. (Especially on the defensive side)

Here is some friendly advice rook. Khalil Mack is a first rounder and Trey DePriest is only a sophomore.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would love to see Cowher back in his home town where he belongs... Let him run the entire show. Dump Colbert and give Cowher the keys to the Corvette (or is it just a Chevette at this point). However, Tomlin has turned things around and if the team continues to improve here in late 2013 and even make a run at the playoffs, you gotta give the present HC props for turning it around.....

Realistically? You never know...Cowher, at this point of his life, may be intriqued by such an offer....
    Last edited by pfelix73; 12-02-2013 at 12:38 AM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I would love to see Cowher back in his home town where he belongs... Let him run the entire show. Dump Colbert and give Cowher the keys to the Corvette (or is it just a Chevette at this point). However, Tomlin has turned things around and if the team continues to improve here in late 2013 and even make a run at the playoffs, you gotta give the present HC props for turning it around.....

Realistically? You never know...Cowher, at this point of his life, may be intriqued by such an offer....
    This is why I believe the Rooneys should at least be entertaining the thought of at least one long lunch with Coach Cowher.

It would be inexcusable for the Rooneys to not play 20 Questions with their General Manager at this point. His draft record, quite frankly, sucks! And if it isn't just him, then he needs to be asked why his HC is anywhere near the war room on draft day.

Either way, if you put the question of Cowher v. Colbert to every Steeler fan, I'd dare say that it would be a landslide in favor of Mr. Cowher. Saying that, you hire him to be GM (or whatever title he wants, assuming he's amenable to coming back) and he gets the keys with the caviat that the HC is now on a leash... a short one!
    Steelers...On The STAIRWAY TO SEVEN!!!
    http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/1...etsteelfk7.jpg
    ASIAN... thanks, brotha!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well before we bring Coach Cowher back let's not forget about 1998 - 2000 when the Steelers had the following record with Cowher making draft picks for six years previous to the following records:

1998 - 7-9
    1999 - 6-10
    2000 - 9-7

Kevin Colbert joined the Steelers as GM in 2000 and the results have been very solid - with 8 playoff appearance in 13 seasons (not counting whatever happens in this season), and three Super Bowl Appearances.

I'm not necessarily the biggest believer in Tomlin yet --- because I feel he did inherit a very good team, however his contributions with Colbert have been very good!

It's true that he probably hasn't drafted a future Hall of Famer yet --- (unlike Cowher/Colbert players Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger)

And unfortunately the 2008 draft panned out very poorly -- in my opinion Mendenhall was a bust, and obviously Limas Sweed never made an impact except for a negative one when he faked an injury against the Ravens in an important game. And Bruce Davis also never made anything happen either.

However -- we have still have four players from 2007 - Timmons, Woodley, Spaeth and Gay.

Timmons has been very solid, and Woodley at times has been dynamic (other times invisible).....but both of these players have contributed to the Steelers AS MUCH as any 1st and 2nd rounder that Cowher selected in his time here. (Arguably Searcy and Kirkland), but still these two picks were very good.

In 2009 - We drafted Ziggy Hood, Kraig Urbik, Mike Wallace, and Keenan Lewis.

** Not a great year necessarily as it works out for the Steelers -- but Wallace and Lewis were considered fairly big Free Agent Pick-ups, Kraig Urbik didn't work for us -- but is starting for the Bills, and Ziggy Hood hasn't been a breakout talent......but overall I think he's been solid, he just hasn't been "great".

You can't say this was a bad draft for the Steelers -- we just ended up with a few talents we didn't want to over pay for.

Now look at 2010 -

Pouncey -- before his injury most people consider him one of the best centers in the NFL.
    Worilds -- has been solid over the past two seasons in spot play (and will likely do well in Free Agency)
    E. Sanders -- fantastic for a 3rd round pick
    S. Sylvester - considering he's in the 5th round he's been very solid
    J. Dwyer -- 6th round short yardage back....at only 24 years old I think he can still be a solid back-up
    Antonio Brown - Another 6th round pick -- with Brown you get one of the leading receivers in the NFL.

One of the reasons this draft went so well.....we went 9-7 the previous season and were selecting 18th in the draft. Sometimes the key to a good draft is simply being in a position to draft well.

In 2011 - (after a return to the Super Bowl) we pick up -

C. Heyward -- who has looked good this season (keep in mind Brett Keisel, a 7th rounder, didn't start for four seasons)
    M. Gilbert -- He's coming along (it took Max Starks awhile to be solid)
    C. Brown -- Haven't seen enough
    C. Allen -- Haven't seen enough

2012 -- is a rough year

Rainey, Ta'amu both eventually get themselves into legal trouble, and now both are playing for different teams. But let's not forget Coach Cowher also picked up a few trouble makers in his time (see Bam Morris or Santonio Holmes).

DeCastro - Adams and Beachum all come from this draft and all of them seem to be developing as linemen --- I'm disappointed in Adams, however we all had hoped he was a steal in the draft and he just hasn't come into his own yet (or maybe he has). I still have hope for him. (Again Max Starks took time to develop).

And in 2013 we have the most rookies seeing action that I can remember -

Javis Jones
    Le'Von Bell
    M. Wheaton
    Sharko
    Vince Williams

Who knows how any of these guys will ultimately develop -- but Jones has been a hustler out there and I believe with more time he'll be very solid.

I'm extremely impressed with Le'Von Bell -- and (hopefully if he can keep healthy, will ultimately be one of the best backs in the NFL).
    Vince Williams has played very well for a rookie 6th rounder that has been asked to play a bulk of the season.

Our best drafts under either coach have come when we're drafting at least in the teens, which of course means we didn't have a "great" season the year before --- or in the rare case where we traded up to get Troy Polamalu.

While it's true Cowher had a few better drafts in his time, he also had more losing seasons than Tomlin.

I don't think our recent issues have been due to drafting poorly (except the 2008 draft), overall I just think we're in a tough division, we've had some difficult injuries to overcome -- and in a number of games we had the opportunity to win it late and failed.

There's an ebb and flow to it all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Make coach Cowher an offer to return as Head Coach. And if he excepts, remove as many players as possible drafted under Tomlin's regime. And perhaps even make a trade for or draft a QB that he (Coach Cowher) believes in,.....he will take care of Coaching, molding and drafting all other personnel to return our honor on both sides of the ball. (Especially on the defensive side)
    What grade are you in?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Here is some friendly advice rook. Khalil Mack is a first rounder and Trey DePriest is only a sophomore.
    You are probably correct about Mack, especially were he to perform well at the combine. (I believe that he and Anthony Barr have the potential to be almost prototypical 3-4 outside backers in the same sense that Aaron was as much (prototypical) as a DE in the system.)

However, i do believe that DePriest is actually eligible to declare.

Starter

User Info Menu

Hey Rod, or is it SteelCzar76??? Do you still think Timmons is a bust?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are probably correct about Mack, especially were he to perform well at the combine. (I believe that he and Anthony Barr have the potential to be almost prototypical 3-4 outside backers in the same sense that Aaron was as much (prototypical) as a DE in the system.)

However, i do believe that DePriest is actually eligible to declare.

And if he is able to (which he isn't he is a true soph) why would he????

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Good post, Lonbull.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>