Thread: Roethlisberger: Haley and I had an incident in Denver, I walked away

Legend

User Info Menu

Roethlisberger: Haley and I had an incident in Denver, I walked away

From the day Todd Haley was hired as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator, questions have been raised about whether he and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would get along. Roethlisberger says for the most part, they’ve gotten along just fine — but he does admit there was one “incident” between them.

Roethlisberger told Ron Cook of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that he and Haley had a problem during the Steelers’ Week One loss to the Broncos, but Roethlisberger says he made a point of not allowing the issue to escalate.

“We had one little incident,” Roethlisberger said. “I walked away. I’ll leave it at that. I walked away.”

That incident aside, Roethlisberger says he and Haley have gotten together just fine. In fact, Roethlisberger thinks the media have made too big a deal out of their personal relationship.

“People really did make a big deal about it,” Roethlisberger said. “I heard Cris Carter [on ESPN] ask, ‘Why doesn’t Ben embrace the change and want to get better?’ That’s ridiculous. I’m all about getting better. I never said the change was going to be bad or good. I just said it was a change. It was what it was.”

If Roethlisberger and Haley can limit themselves to one incident, then the change in the Steelers’ offense will have gone more smoothly than most people predicted.

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/09/23/roethlisberger-haley-and-i-had-an-incident-in-denver-i-walked-away/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

why even mention it, ben?

Legend

User Info Menu

I have no issue with Haley challenging Ben versus just giving Ben whatever he wants. I think that is how Ben will get better by being forced to consider new ideas and options. Who said players and coaches have to love each other. Bradshaw and Noll sure didn't. That worked out OK for both of them.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    why even mention it, ben?
    That's the immediate thought I had, but then... was this "incident" caught on-camera? (I watched it at a bar in Vegas, so I may have missed it.) If it was caught, then I can see addressing.

I didn't see it, didn't see anyone reporting about it, so to bring it up isn't right.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'd rather have the Montana/Walsh relationship myself.

That being said, I also believe Haley can show Ben some things, which could help Ben sharpen any rough edges in his arsenal.
    Both men just have to be professional about how they go about it.

Don't know what was said. Don't know who was wrong, if anyone. What I do know is that "it" was handled quietly, 'cause I didn't even know this had happened.

I have no problem with this, as long as people keep a cool head.

Backup

User Info Menu

I think it was caught on tape while Ben was on the field during the final drive where he threw the pick. He was running the no huddle, and Haley tried to call a play in. Ben made mention of it in his post gamer presser, and I am sure words were spoken after the incident. Ben creates drama, it's just Ben being Ben.

Backup

User Info Menu

If that was Mendenhall or Wallace mentioning this (in house) info. They would be getting killed for it. The most polarizing player in Steeler History is EASILY BEN ROETHLISBERGER

DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA

Legend

User Info Menu

If we believe this, Ben is an oxymoron.

Arguably the toughest QB in the history of the game, but always balances it out with his gossipy, dramatic, and girly like comments to the media.

I honestly think he does it on purpose and thinks it's funny getting reporters riled up like this. And he does it like another famous Pittsburgher who was a mater of manipulating the media - Andy Warhol.

I remember some stories about how Warhol would tell different lies to different reporters. That way he'd always know who he could trust, who he could lie to, who he should lie to and he used this fun little game to control the media.

Couple things we know about Ben. He came into the league polished and knowing the exact right words to say at all times. He also seems to be a private person for a celeb athlete.

I see these silly tidbits he lets out as a defense mechanism. He knows these silly reporters will eat this stuff up and ultimately leave him and his personal life alone. It's a game.

The stuff he says to the media is the complete opposite of his personality and play on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger brushes off Todd Haley incident

By Marc Sessler
    Published: Sept. 23, 2012

Those expecting a new-look offense from Todd Haley and the Pittsburgh Steelers haven't seen much evidence of change through two weeks of this young season.

The team's new offensive coordinator was linked to chatter of moving to a run-heavy offense, which never sat well with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. But the Steelers are still throwing the ball all over the place, and Haley and Big Ben have made it work -- for the most part.

"We had one little incident," Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, referring to a sideline spat in the season-opening loss to the Denver Broncos. Haley went at Roethlisberger on the sideline, but the veteran quarterback chose a path of peace.

"I walked away. I'll leave it at that. I walked away," Roethlisberger said.

Pittsburgh's former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians remains extremely close to Roethlisberger -- calling him "my other son" -- and told the newspaper in the summer that "yelling at (Ben) -- especially on game day -- is the worst thing you can do."

The best thing you can do is let Roethlisberger play his game. This is a quarterback who's at his best calling his own plays in a no-huddle scheme with the game on the line. We've seen enough of that early on to suggest that Haley's system won't squelch the quarterback's mojo. Maybe this new arrangement will work out -- things usually do in the Steel City.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000064937/article/ben-roethlisberger-brushes-off-todd-haley-incident[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Drama Queen. Flippy may be on to something as far as motive. And I don't give a flying flip about what our old OC thinks about whether it's a good or bad thing to yell at Ben during a game, or anything else.

That is all!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!