Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Bronco Bama and Joe Wonder

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, Drock, I am getting used to the idea that my social, religious, political and family views are not wanted in the USA anymore.

Oh well. I'm not changing anytime soon. That's how I roll.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Yeah, Drock, I am getting used to the idea that my social, religious, political and family views are not wanted in the USA anymore.

It's not so much that your views aren't wanted as much as it is that we don't care to dictate what your views should be. Individual choice and tolerance of others choices is the name of the game. The hard part is making sure those choices don't harm others or get in the way of keeping the necessary financial and economic systems in place.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't see the Libertarian party as being possible. They are too socially liberal for many and too small govt for the entitlement crowd. I love their political side, but can't stand their social anarchy angle.
    The "social anarchy" sounds like freedom to me. No one controls your business but you and you get no control of anyone else's personal choices either.

I think the other parties want social engineering or control. That's kinda scary. That's Big Brother intruding into our personal lives. Why should anyone decide what's right for an individual besides the individual unless it negatively infringes on another man's rights?

Legend

User Info Menu

By the sounds of it, the Libertarians are the only ones that would protect your right to have all those values. I've really just started digging into the info that's available.

But with the Republicans, they've got the religious right that wants to decide everything for everyone from abortion to gay marriage to what adults do in the privacy of their bedrooms. That's 180 degrees from the principles that the country was founded on. I'm ok with everyone having their own social, religious, and family views. Let's just make sure and protect everyone's right to have their own views.

The Democrats are more socially in line with the Libertarians. Not completely, but much closer than the core of the Rs. But they get out of whack with their fiscal views.

It's like the Ls took the good parts from the Ds and the Rs and combined them. Like DRock is saying, it fits the youth well. But I'd go a step further and say it's what the old farts want too but may not realize it.

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't feel safe in a society where "Anything goes." Sorry. Just don't.

I also don't want to fund a culture where things that I find immoral are funded.

That's just me. That is THE reason why I can't be a Dem or Lib. I'm really not that sold on the Reps, to be honest, but I feel more honest voting for their platforms usually.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I also don't want to fund a culture where things that I find immoral are funded.

That's just me. That is THE reason why I can't be a Dem or Lib. I'm really not that sold on the Reps, to be honest, but I feel more honest voting for their platforms usually.
    Totally respect that DJ. I just like to hear people having thoughts and reasons, rather than picking the person who looks better standing behind a podium or is blessed with a more calming voice.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Totally respect that DJ. I just like to hear people having thoughts and reasons, rather than picking the person who looks better standing behind a podium or is blessed with a more calming voice.
    Like most of the Obama supporters do?
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

WHAT? WHO SAID THAT!? Me? Nooooooooooooooooo

Legend

User Info Menu

I just started read about the Ls so I don't everything about them yet. I'd be curious why you think they are for "anything goes". What does that mean?

I also get the impression they are interested in reducing gov't and focusing on protecting individual freedom. So it doesn't look like they're into funding any social issues. Just keeping the federal gov't out of social issues altogether. I don't think any of your tax dollars would go toward anything immoral. That seems to be anti-L based on my understanding.

I don't even know a L. So I don't know how they act in practice. So far I've just found I agree with GJ on almost everything. And the more I read about the L principles, I agree with almost all of them.

The surprising thing to me is in all my life I've heard the L word, but never really given it any thought until just now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gotta say, I'm surprised he's still president. Even more surprised that the Rs nominated one of the only people in America that Obama could beat. Actually there were a couple - Santorum, Gingrich, Perry, Bachman. The R party (which I'm a member of) has completely lost touch. How did they find some of the worst potential candidates in the history of the world. McCain was another complete joke of a candidate last time around.

I think Huntsman, Paul, or GJ could have beaten Obama on the R ticket. But those guys didn't bend to the wacko right in the party to get the nomination.

I actually think 90% of Rs are normal and 90% of Ds are normal. But the wackos get all the air time. And they control who gets the nomination. The Rs used to be able to get around this BS in the past, but they've completely lost their way. The Ds have their act together. They are now the party that is able to work the system.

I really get the sense everyone is disenfranchised by both parties. And there's a huge opening for a rational party to take hold. I think we're close to being ready for it as a society.