Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Mendy likely to go?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    "Done very little"? He's had almost 3 1,000 yard seasons and a SB ring.
    1,000 is not a true measuring stick for a RB anymore. 1,000 yards works out to 62.5 yards per game, certainly not a milestone number. Today's top backs aim for 1,600 yards, not 1,000. In his best season, 2010, Mendenhall was 7th in the league in rushing yards and a YPC below 4. In his second best season he was 14th with 1,108 yards - but a better YPC.

Mendenhall has shown himself to be an NFL running back, but I can't say that he has distinguished himself. Maybe the OL, maybe not, but I've had at least as much frustration as happiness with the running game while he has been the #1.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    If Mendy struggles with injuries the rest of the season he will be in the 'burgh next year.

If he gets healthy and makes some good runs and shows he's rehabbed...some team will make him an offer. Arizona comes to mind.
    Whiz still desperately chasing our "sloppy seconds." Actually, it has gotten to be pretty pathetic. Guy can't identify or develop talent to save his life. Thank God the Rooney's know how to pick a coach.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If he insists on the big payday, he will end up on cap friendly teams like Colts, Bills, Jets, or Patriots (yes, they are $9.5M under).
    We are talking about Mendenhall not Wallace. Mendy seems like a thoughtful guy and I think he will be smart enough to recognize that staying is a good thing. The question is will the Steelers want him. I think they should. In a full healthy season in Haley's offense he would be a 1,000 yard rusher and 500 yard pass receiver. If this season has proven anything it is you need two or three legitimate RBs.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    The Carolina Panthers are always down to throw money at running backs. He'll probably go there.
    I don't think they will since they were recently burned by signing TWO backs to top-level deals. I think they might be a little gun shy to sign another back to a top deal. My hunch is they will draft one high. I think it's more likely that they will sign Mike Wallace.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't think they will since they were recently burned by signing TWO backs to top-level deals. I think they might be a little gun shy to sign another back to a top deal. My hunch is they will draft one high. I think it's more likely that they will sign Mike Wallace.
    they will burn the stadium down if they draft a RB high... RB is the least of their worries. That team needs WR's, OL and DB's...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lonbull View Post
    Right now I don't think there's any reason to sign Mendenhall to a "decent" contract --- especially if it interferes with us signing someone like Mike Wallace.

Mendenhall has done very little with his opportunity in Pittsburgh --- granted the Off. Line has been pretty bad, and we're becoming more like the rest of the NFL in that we pass the ball more. But as I look at the Depth Chart I see Dwyer (young and showing promise), Batch, Rainey and even Redmen if we decide he's the better Free Agent for cost.....that's 4 RB's.

I don't see a reason to sign Mendenhall to a sizeable contract -- granted (when healthy) he's probably our best back right now, but has his production been enough to re-sign him?

An "obvious" place for him to go would be St. Louis -- as they will likely let the 31 year old Free Agent Steven Jackson go.

Miami would also make a lot of sense, as Reggie Bush isn't an every down kind of RB -- and the passing game isn't their forte'
    Green Bay also makes a lot of sense -- they could use a Vet. RB, and Cedric Benson is only there for a one year contract.
    New England also could use a Vet. RB --- he makes sense here as well.

Kansas City is possible if they plan on having another RB split carries with J. Charles.
    GB I could see. I don't see Bilichick going for him though; he's too smart. KC? I have no idea of their backs other than Charles. They need a QB before a RB though.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We are talking about Mendenhall not Wallace. Mendy seems like a thoughtful guy and I think he will be smart enough to recognize that staying is a good thing. The question is will the Steelers want him. I think they should. In a full healthy season in Haley's offense he would be a 1,000 yard rusher and 500 yard pass receiver. If this season has proven anything it is you need two or three legitimate RBs.
    He is less than the sum of his parts, period. We can speculate on why, but he simply isn't as productive as he SHOULD be. I find the stat about us not having a back rush for back-to-back 100 yard games since 2008 with WILLIE PARKER. In all RM'd career, he has NEVER had back-to-back 100 rushing games. That tells me he isn't that great, bad O line or not. Unless Pgh gets him for pretty cheap, they need to move on. Dwyer, Redman, Rainey and Batch will offer more production than would RM, any how. There are undrafted free agent running backs who do well.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm glad the FO doesn't think like many on this board...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Whiz still desperately chasing our "sloppy seconds." Actually, it has gotten to be pretty pathetic. Guy can't identify or develop talent to save his life. Thank God the Rooney's know how to pick a coach.
    This move has Whiz written all over it. And, to be honest, he will work out better than most of our leftovers have out there.

Legend

User Info Menu

If they keep getting hurt the way they have this season, the Steelers might want to keep as many starting-caliber running backs as possible...