Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft: Overrated, Dark Horse, Underrated, Fallers

Legend

User Info Menu

Draft: Overrated, Dark Horse, Underrated, Fallers

Overrated: Taylor Lewan is hands down the most overrated person in this draft. I suspect he will be nothing more than an average RT. He doesn't have the skills to warrant a first round pick. He is a 4th rounder at best.

Dark Horse: Colt Lyerla, IMO he is the second most athletic TE in this draft after Ebron. He went to rehab, is saying all the right things. If you haven't seen him play check out his youtube video...the guy is a beast. I know some will argue he isn't a "dark horse" but when a guy could be had in the 5th round or later who is as good as Lyerla...I think that qualifies. My guess? The Pats will take a chance on him. I know that is a bold prediction because they might still be raw from Hernandez...but they are in dire need of an athletic TE and I think they pull the trigger and take a chance.

Underrated: This is an easy one for me Caruan Reid-DE out of Princeton. He is projected for the 4th round. IMO, this guy is NFL ready without any real deficiencies in his game. He is a mid/high second round talent, and only that because of the teams Princeton plays. The dude is the real deal.

Fallers: I believe Anthony Barr will fall to the Steelers at 15. He is the guy I believe could throw a monkey wrench into draft boards and make it really tempting to grab an OLB in the first. Now, some will say I'm crazy especially with Worilds being transitioned, and Woodley eating up literally and figuratively a large contract. But, I'm not sold on Worilds...not sure the Steelers are either...and Woodley can't stay healthy. Barr is a reasonable possibility...and he fits that typical Tomlin OLB.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would guess the Steelers have caused some teams to rethink their draft strategy by transitioning Worilds. They may grab an OLB early, or they may feel comfortable with a mid-rd pick to groom as Worild's replacement.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Overrated- "Ha Ha" Dix-Total product of the system. The overall team scheme has inflated his value.

Dark Horse-Pierre Desir-Kid has all the tools and size. NFL coaching will put him over the top.

Underrated-Kyle Fuller-Injuries will likely keep him out of the first round but he may be the most complete CB in draft

Fallers-Cyrus Kuondjio-He was exposed in the Sugar Bowl and his medical will likely knock him out of the first round.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Shawn;594786]Overrated: Taylor Lewan is hands down the most overrated person in this draft. I suspect he will be nothing more than an average RT. He doesn't have the skills to warrant a first round pick. He is a 4th rounder at best.

Watched the tape of this tackle at the combine a few times and was impressed. How could you not be. He lit it up.
    Took a look at the Michigan / ND game. Tape showed Lewan about half the time matched up with Tuitt who is a load and Lewan played well walling off, getting to the second level and staying on blocks. Yeah he got burned on a inside move by a lb so he is far from perfect but he can ball. Watch Tuitt against USC and you will see how good he is. On tape Lewan shows quick enough feet imho to play on the left side. Top 20 talent imho. I could not disagree with you more.
    Last edited by Iron City Inc.; 03-09-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Overrated: Taylor Lewan is hands down the most overrated person in this draft. I suspect he will be nothing more than an average RT. He doesn't have the skills to warrant a first round pick. He is a 4th rounder at best.

Dark Horse: Colt Lyerla, IMO he is the second most athletic TE in this draft after Ebron. He went to rehab, is saying all the right things. If you haven't seen him play check out his youtube video...the guy is a beast. I know some will argue he isn't a "dark horse" but when a guy could be had in the 5th round or later who is as good as Lyerla...I think that qualifies. My guess? The Pats will take a chance on him. I know that is a bold prediction because they might still be raw from Hernandez...but they are in dire need of an athletic TE and I think they pull the trigger and take a chance.

Underrated: This is an easy one for me Caruan Reid-DE out of Princeton. He is projected for the 4th round. IMO, this guy is NFL ready without any real deficiencies in his game. He is a mid/high second round talent, and only that because of the teams Princeton plays. The dude is the real deal.

Fallers: I believe Anthony Barr will fall to the Steelers at 15. He is the guy I believe could throw a monkey wrench into draft boards and make it really tempting to grab an OLB in the first. Now, some will say I'm crazy especially with Worilds being transitioned, and Woodley eating up literally and figuratively a large contract. But, I'm not sold on Worilds...not sure the Steelers are either...and Woodley can't stay healthy. Barr is a reasonable possibility...and he fits that typical Tomlin OLB.
    I didn't know much about your "Dark Horse" Lyerla until the combine...but, I think he could potentially be a steal of a pick if we can get him in the mid rounds. We have bigger needs than TE with our first 3-4 picks...but this kid appears to be an early round talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Iron City Inc.;594804]

Watched the tape of this tackle at the combine a few times and was impressed. How could you not be. He lit it up.
    Took a look at the Michigan / ND game. Tape showed Lewan about half the time matched up with Tuitt who is a load and Lewan played well walling off, getting to the second level and staying on blocks. Yeah he got burned on a inside move by a lb so he is far from perfect but he can ball. Watch Tuitt against USC and you will see how good he is. On tape Lewan shows quick enough feet imho to play on the left side. Top 20 talent imho. I could not disagree with you more.
    Go to the tOSU/Michigan film and watch him literally get ragged dolled and turnstyled by a freshman. Sorry, but on again off again doesn't scream top 10 to me.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I didn't know much about your "Dark Horse" Lyerla until the combine...but, I think he could potentially be a steal of a pick if we can get him in the mid rounds. We have bigger needs than TE with our first 3-4 picks...but this kid appears to be an early round talent.
    Some here believe he is undraftable due to his nose candy episode. I'll go on record and say I believe he is indeed drafted as high as the 5th.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Some here believe he is undraftable due to his nose candy episode. I'll go on record and say I believe he is indeed drafted as high as the 5th.
    I hope we take him. In any "Normal" year...I'd say pass. This year, however we are going to have to deviate from the script... and take a few chances we normally wouldn't... to get the pieces back in place while our Franchise QB is still in tact.

Many folks on here have said that Ben makes average receivers look great... how about a high end TE talent opposite of Miller... at a 5th round pick? I say go for it!

Legend

User Info Menu

and if he doesn't pan out? well... the loss would be minimal at a 5th or later.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Shawn;594815]
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Go to the tOSU/Michigan film and watch him literally get ragged dolled and turnstyled by a freshman. Sorry, but on again off again doesn't scream top 10 to me.
    I watched some tape of that game. Did Joey Bosa make a few plays? He did. Lewan though on 3 td's threw key blocks. Heck Michigan scored 41 do you think they did that with bad play by their left tackle. It's not an exact science on projecting exactly where a guy gets drafted or how he will turn out. I just don't see 4th round talent there as you do. Your opinion on that may turn out correct but your opinion on this is very much in the minority.