Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Very slow looking lifeless defense

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Ben had just driven the Steelers for field that took about 5 minutes off the clock; I'm not sure what that was in real time, but lets just leave it at 5 minutes. The scramble by Manning for a 1st down was the 6th play of the ensuing drive and it was in the no huddle. I'm hoping that our LBs are in good enough condition to play 6 plays consecutively without looking like they're running in mud which is what Timmons looked like on that particular play. The defense just looked sluggish and lethargic at times last night. There also was probably a lot of miscommunication due to new faces taking on expanded roles, Carter, Allen, Heyward, Hood, and Worilds. Manning showed the world why he will be a HOFer the moment his 5 year waiting period is up.

All-in-all I was more disappointed with the offense, not the defense, giving up 24 points to Peyton Manning should be good enough to win the game. In today's NFL you have to be able to consistently put 24 plus points on the board or you will lose to good teams. You can beat bad teams with 19 points, but the good teams are going to score 24 plus points every game, the Steeler offense needs to be able to match that, last night they didn't.

Pappy
    The O was OK, other than that they squeezed 6 points out of 14 on two of their trips to the RZ.

The int. to Porter was on Ben. Ben also missed an open Wallace. But those will happen to any QB; Ben played well, although not lights out.

Eventually the D put too much pressure on the O, and the Denver D was better than the Pit D.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Manning had a good performance...but it wasn't like it was a great performance...

He had an efficient day and did just enough to win...

Ben also had a good day right up until the 2 minute mark...

Starter

User Info Menu

All-in-all I was more disappointed with the offense, not the defense, giving up 24 points to Peyton Manning should be good enough to win the game. In today's NFL you have to be able to consistently put 24 plus points on the board or you will lose to good teams. You can beat bad teams with 19 points, but the good teams are going to score 24 plus points every game, the Steeler offense needs to be able to match that, last night they didn't.

Pappy
    I would agree except that with our o-line decimated with injuries we really needed our defense to step up. Also the offense dominated TOP which should have given the D an advantage.

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s View Post
    I would agree except that with our o-line decimated with injuries we really needed our defense to step up. Also the offense dominated TOP which should have given the D an advantage.
    No doubt about the TOP,but in general the offense appeared to labor for yards and that's why the TOP was what it was, Ben was lights out on 3rd down last night; I think he was 9/11 or 10/12 with 8 or 9 1st downs converted on 3rd down, that alone should have won the game for the Steelers. But, for some reason, the Steelers continue to kick FGs instead of putting TDs on the board, sometimes it's play calling, sometimes it's bad execution and sometimes Ben hits a defensive back in the hand with a pass to a wide open receiver, whatever the reason the offense continues to give away points.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Starter

User Info Menu

IMO, all the running that lead to the 3rd and longs were part of a game-plan that was supposed to rest our 3-4 defense. I'm guessing our offense could have been more explosive and balanced.

I really expected our fresh defense to come out and dominate in the second half...

Another AS masterpiece.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s View Post
    IMO, all the running that lead to the 3rd and longs were part of a game-plan that was supposed to rest our 3-4 defense. I'm guessing our offense could have been more explosive and balanced.

I really expected our fresh defense to come out and dominate in the second half...
    Playing for Ben to bail out the offense on 3rd down is a recipe for disaster; I doubt he will be able to perform that magic for 15 more games and hopefully, a playoff run. He was off the charts on 3rd down last night.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Playing for Ben to bail out the offense on 3rd down is a recipe for disaster; I doubt he will be able to perform that magic for 15 more games and hopefully, a playoff run. He was off the charts on 3rd down last night.

Pappy

It's what we do on defense with Troy. Just wait for the spectatcular play and when it doesn't happen we have last night. Need more balance and playmakers on both sides of the ball. That said I think we have way more playmakers on the offensive side than the defensive and that is a major concern.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

No doubt about the TOP,but in general the offense appeared to labor for yards and that's why the TOP was what it was, Ben was lights out on 3rd down last night; I think he was 9/11 or 10/12 with 8 or 9 1st downs converted on 3rd down, that alone should have won the game for the Steelers. But, for some reason, the Steelers continue to kick FGs instead of putting TDs on the board, sometimes it's play calling, sometimes it's bad execution and sometimes Ben hits a defensive back in the hand with a pass to a wide open receiver, whatever the reason the offense continues to give away points.

Pappy
    some reason = Ben under throwing Heath

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Question... They speak about the air is thin in Denver so it creates a problem for the visitors. Does the air around the rest of the country give the Bronco players troubles ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    some reason = Ben under throwing Heath
    Yea, and he missed Wallace on the seam as well, but the throw that got tipped by the 5' 10" cornerback was really bad, since Heath is 6'5" tall.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -