Thread: Kellen Davis?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

No matter who we have at TE aside from Miller, we've got some super talented players at WR and RB that can make plays in the open field. I think it makes a lot of sense to go with 3/4 WR packages for the majority of snaps. The edge we have on offense (besides Ben) is we have some great open field runners in AB, Jones, Howling, Manny, and Wheaton. If Haley's smart, he'll spread things out to give these 5 opportunities to run in the open field.

Paulson, DJ, Palmer, Davis, whoever we might bring in are all just mediocre NFL players. I say you adjust until Heath gets back and put the best 5 skill players on the field. And you always have Beachum who's gonna be a better blocker than any of the TEs anyway if we really want to go jumbo and force the run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    No matter who we have at TE aside from Miller, we've got some super talented players at WR and RB that can make plays in the open field. I think it makes a lot of sense to go with 3/4 WR packages for the majority of snaps. The edge we have on offense (besides Ben) is we have some great open field runners in AB, Jones, Howling, Manny, and Wheaton. If Haley's smart, he'll spread things out to give these 5 opportunities to run in the open field.

Paulson, DJ, Palmer, Davis, whoever we might bring in are all just mediocre NFL players. I say you adjust until Heath gets back and put the best 5 skill players on the field. And you always have Beachum who's gonna be a better blocker than any of the TEs anyway if we really want to go jumbo and force the run.
    We have talent but Haley's offense is geared to down & distance football. We will always see the high percentage TOP offense that slows down the game & speeds up the clock. TEs are highly important & productive in that offense so if Paulson, Palmer, & Johnson don't step up...We will see struggles. The Beachum at TE is just what it is...An emergency situation. Lining an OL up at TE in this offense is inviting a DC to send +1 to his side. The DCs will continue to do that until the Steelers show Beachum can make a play from TE and he can't. 3rd or 4th & short or goaline...It has merit but between the 20's it is just giving the D an advantage.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    We have talent but Haley's offense is geared to down & distance football. We will always see the high percentage TOP offense that slows down the game & speeds up the clock. TEs are highly important & productive in that offense so if Paulson, Palmer, & Johnson don't step up...We will see struggles. The Beachum at TE is just what it is...An emergency situation. Lining an OL up at TE in this offense is inviting a DC to send +1 to his side. The DCs will continue to do that until the Steelers show Beachum can make a play from TE and he can't. 3rd or 4th & short or goaline...It has merit but between the 20's it is just giving the D an advantage.
    I think that Beachum at TE could be effective in limited doses. He gives you the option of running in a heavier formation or a bit of extra time to go deep if you get a favorable matchup on the outside.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think that Beachum at TE could be effective in limited doses. He gives you the option of running in a heavier formation or a bit of extra time to go deep if you get a favorable matchup on the outside.

We will see. If they try and pass with Beachum at TE between the 20's they will have to pick up a run blitz to his side...They will see that a lot. They will not account for him until he can show he can make a play from TE...I know I would.

Limited doses yes...Short yardage...Goaline...You know what is coming even if Miller was in there. Let's put it this way...An OL playing TE is only beneficial when your front 5 & running game are dominant and teams throw bodies in the box to stop that. You put an OL at TE and say.."Here we go! You know it's coming...Stop us." Ravens are a perfect example. When you put an OL at TE to try and help your front 5 & running game there is only one word for it. "Desperation". Beachum wasn't plugged into TE because he showed a unique ability at this level to move on the edge and get down field and catch a ball. He was plugged in their because he is the best option on the OL outside the starters to try & fill the TE deficiencies. If doing this was such a good thing or gave any type of advantage...31 other teams would utilize this more frequently. This isn't a revelation...It's a cry for help. DC's won't be lending a helping hand.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I know we're gonna try to use Paulson like he's Heath. But I think we could do a lot more damage on offense with 4 wide and Jones/Howling in the backfield or 3 wide with Johnson/Redman as the backs even if we ran those groupings for 90% of our plays.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I know we're gonna try to use Paulson like he's Heath. But I think we could do a lot more damage on offense with 4 wide and Jones/Howling in the backfield or 3 wide with Johnson/Redman as the backs even if we ran those groupings for 90% of our plays.
    Flip, I totally agre but unfortunately I think we put our quasi-TEs on the field because the OL needs help.

I think we will see little to nothing in terms of offensive hep from the TE position until Heath is back and healthy.

Our RBs will have to pick up the slack for receiving out of the backfield since we will get little from Paulson and definitely zero from Da Johnson. I think Michael Palmer is probably a more complete TE than either of those guys.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"