Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben R. said to Merrill Hoge This Offseason: "this is the best ...."

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben R. said to Merrill Hoge This Offseason: "this is the best ...."

Merrill Hoge said in a personal conversation with Ben Roethlisberger this offseason "this is the best Offensive Line I've ever had" ... I would say our Interior 3 are the best he's had since 2005. I might be thinking he said that when Max Starks was unsigned and he was assuming he'd eventually be his LT this year. My biggest concern with the OLINE is DEPTH. if someone goes down this unit is THIN.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Although I tend to agree with you (especially at OT!) it may be that the backups are better than we think. Ben can see how they are coming daily while we have to rely on snippets of info from camp and the limited perspective of one preseason game. The other possibility is that he was referring to just his starting 5 (6 with Beachum), in which case we should all hope the trainer and OL coach can keep those players healthy all season. Crossing my fingers and toes on this one!
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Starter

User Info Menu

You know, I keep reading about how great this team is. Frankly they looked like shart against the Giants on offense last week. Anytime Ben was going to throw more than 2 yards down the field he was pressured or sacked. Ill get excited when they start looking great in the games.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    You know, I keep reading about how great this team is. Frankly they looked like shart against the Giants on offense last week. Anytime Ben was going to throw more than 2 yards down the field he was pressured or sacked. Ill get excited when they start looking great in the games.
    You're really going to give any credit whatsoever to Week 1 in Preseason??? That's almost as sad as all the Bills fans that live around me thinking they're Superbowl caliber b/c they beat up on INDY in Week 1. If you ask me, win or lose it's meaningless at this point. Heck, even September is meaningless IMO.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 7 UP View Post
    I agree... I know its week 1 but other teams were able to keep QB's clean. Our OL looks like last year and the year before... decent in the run and bad a pass protection.

It would be nice to see a clean drive on Monday. If its run run sack... well, then we know Ben is doing the typical "I love my OL" speech.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    You're really going to give any credit whatsoever to Week 1 in Preseason??? That's almost as sad as all the Bills fans that live around me thinking they're Superbowl caliber b/c they beat up on INDY in Week 1. If you ask me, win or lose it's meaningless at this point. Heck, even September is meaningless IMO.
    What I saw last week, we have all seen a million times before. Its one thing to get great press. Its another thing to play great. Show me one clean preseason drive that ends in a touchdown and Ill be impressed.

Legend

User Info Menu

The way I look at it, Ben is Ben. He needs the full 4 quarters to win almost every game. And Haley, the OLine, and the running game just have to do a little more this year to keep him healthy so he can play thru as many 4 quarters as possible. Especially need him to be healthy at the end of the season.

This team can be utter crap, but if Ben is healthy come December, we have as good a shot as anyone.

Backup

User Info Menu

Sorry but preseason games DO count in that the first team offense, at least in the first few series of the game needs to show something. I mean did anyone catch the Pats game yesterday ? Well I did, and it was poetry in motion. Brady was 11 for 11 before he had a incompletion, and that was his WR fault. He is like 24-26 so far in his 2 games for 375 Yds, 5 TD's and 0 Interceptions with a 176.0 QB rating. And this without ONE single returning offensive skill player this season.

Sorry. I Love Ben, but, Tom Brady is a "MAN"...as where Ben is a "Boy". And so far, and I HOPE Monday night looks better cause, like it or not, preseason DOES tell the tale people. The outcome is not Important. But the cohesiveness of the first team offense is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

^^^Pats fan alert^^^Pats fan alert^^^Pats fan alert^^^

Backup

User Info Menu

No I am not a Patriots fan. I am a realist though. I mean it is Impressive where a team loses 7 of it's skill offensive players from last season, and yet it looks like their QB and the offense hasn't missed a beat. I just wanna see some cohesiveness from our own offense.