Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas is first Steelers draft pick to sign

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    He might be Clark from a big hitter menality but he's not Clark for the simple fact that he's not a FS. He's Polamalu's eventual replacement, not Clarks. There is a very good chance that Robert Golden will be our FS next year and Thomas could be our starting SS next year or the year after.
    I never said he was a FS. I said he was a faster version of Clark. He is a hitter that can miss tackles because of his aggressiveness. He also isn't a ball hawk which is something most Steelers fans wanted since the defense is horrible in creating TOs. He does nothing to help that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I never said he was a FS. I said he was a faster version of Clark. He is a hitter that can miss tackles because of his aggressiveness. He also isn't a ball hawk which is something most Steelers fans wanted since the defense is horrible in creating TOs. He does nothing to help that.

Fresno State FS Philip Thomas was also available in round 4...he had 8 interceptions last year (13 picks in 3 college seasons). He had 84 tackles last year, which happens to be the exact same amount that Shamarko had. Plus he has more prototypical size as well (he's a half inch over 6 feet rather than being an eighth of an inch under 5'9"). The main difference was the 40 time (which didn't prevent us from drafting Jarvis Jones), but maybe the 40 is given more weight for DB's than OLB's.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Fresno State FS Philip Thomas was also available in round 4...he had 8 interceptions last year (13 picks in 3 college seasons). He had 84 tackles last year, which happens to be the exact same amount that Shamarko had. Plus he has more prototypical size as well (he's a half inch over 6 feet rather than being an eighth of an inch under 5'9"). The main difference was the 40 time (which didn't prevent us from drafting Jarvis Jones), but maybe the 40 is given more weight for DB's than OLB's.
    I haven't understood the draft's the past few years. I'm assuming they like S. Thomas's speed more than P. Thomas's production. Still they have no one in the secondary outside of Troy who can catch an int.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    I haven't understood the draft's the past few years. I'm assuming they like S. Thomas's speed more than P. Thomas's production. Still they have no one in the secondary outside of Troy who can catch an int.
    Cortez can, but other than that, yeah.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

i still say, the kid is bob sanders all over again...i think any of us would match that with Troy and be happy...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    i still say, the kid is bob sanders all over again...i think any of us would match that with Troy and be happy...
    Bob Sanders played SS and close to the line of scrimmage as does Troy. You wouldn't be matching Bob Sanders with Troy because they played the same position. Like I said, Thomas is Polamalu's eventual replacement.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I was shocked we didn't draft Philip Thomas in the 4th as Clark's eventual replacement. When we passed on Philip Thomas, it was writing on the wall that the Steelers are happy with Robert Golden as our future FS.

Our future starting safeties: Robert Golden - FS, Shamarko Thomas - SS

Legend

User Info Menu

I was shocked we didn't draft Philip Thomas in the 4th as Clark's eventual replacement. When we passed on Philip Thomas, it was writing on the wall that the Steelers are happy with Robert Golden as our future FS.

Our future starting safeties: Robert Golden - FS, Shamarko Thomas - SS
    Forgive me if I don't become complacent and happy with that combination. Still don't see a game changing ballhawk in any of our safety options.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Forgive me if I don't become complacent and happy with that combination. Still don't see a game changing ballhawk in any of our safety options.
    It's just reality at this point. We won't know how good that combination is until it happens.

Clark will obviously be the easier of the two to replace. I remember when they let Chris Hope go and people were upset (even Troy) and Clark was signed. That worked out ok. We'll have to see about Robert Golden.

Troy won't be replaced. You can't replace someone like that and Thomas shouldn't try.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bob Sanders played SS and close to the line of scrimmage as does Troy. You wouldn't be matching Bob Sanders with Troy because they played the same position. Like I said, Thomas is Polamalu's eventual replacement.
    In 2007, when he won the DPOY, Bob Sanders was the starting Free Safety of the Colts' D...

Mike Doss was the starting Strong Safety...