Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why a Ben trade would fetch a huge return....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    I'm really trying, honest I am, but I can't get my mind around the idea of trading Ben to get better.

Trading him to get worse, yes. Not trading him and getting more out of his supporting cast and the defense to get better, yes.

"We're bad, we've got to trade to get better..." - even if true, just because we may not have anyone else good enough that another team would want to trade for, that doesn't mean it's right to trade Ben! Unless someone thinks Ben is the cause of our ills, but that is even crazier sounding to me.

Not saying the idea is definitely insane, I just can't see it.
    I'm not crazy about it either. And if you followed me from way back in the Tribe days, I am one of the biggest Ben supports there is. But as I have said, I would only do this if it nets a Herchel walker return. No other way.

And as much of Ben Roethlisberger that I am, I am a bigger Pittsburgh Steelers fan. I see this as the quickest way for the Steelers to turn things around. There is talk that there could 5 to 7 QB's taken in this upcoming drafts first round. And if you've been a Steeler fan as long as I have, then 1983 tells you what not having foresight can do to a franchise.

Terry Bradshaw and Dan Marino. Remember that?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$$$

Dub listed all the QBs who were drafted and gave an immediate return of some degree. He didn't list all the QBs who were drafted and turned out to be duds. Too much risk for this kid ...I'd keep the proven legitimate QB.
    Go back the past 9 years. Never, ever, has there been this many QB's drafted who have come into the league and made immediate impacts. But to your point, the amount of 1st and 2nd rounders who were expected to be good in the NFL, and what they have meant to many franchises, out weigh those who didn't pan out.

Look at it yourself.

[url]www.drafthistory.com[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    exactly, that idea makes no sense whatsoever...
    Ok, your idea on how this team makes another super bowl run? This team is bad on both sides of the ball. It is void of any real play makers. And it is going to have to cut more this next off season than it adds.

But you are speaking with your heart and not your head. Because to the Indianapolis Colts this some what similar scenario proved to make a lot of sense. And as a result they will compete for another 10-12 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ok, your idea on how this team makes another super bowl run?
    certainly not by trading away our franchise QB who is currently still in his prime...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

certainly not by trading away our franchise QB who is currently still in his prime...
    Well I would only trade him if it were a Hershel Walker return. A trade that helped propel the Cowboys into 3 time Super Bowl Champions. 4 of the picks the Cowboys got for Walker were used to draft Emmitt Smith, Russell Maryland, Kevin Smith, and Darren Woodson. Plus they got tow solid starters in Jesse Soloman and Issaic Holt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And if we look at Ben (next year being 32), and his numbers and injuries the past couple of years, e appears to be on the other side of his prime.

I get the feeling a lot of Steelers fans will feel different after this season is over. Just my guess.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Well I would only trade him if it were a Hershel Walker return.
    I could consider such a trade but no other team is going to give us that kind of a return for Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let me see if I can take something that looks insane on the surface...buff it up, shine it and then present it as something just a little less insane.

I'm not saying I agree, BUT I do understand the logic.

Ben being 32 has limited NFL life left in him. He has taken many many hits, and if he is VERY lucky has a max of 6 seasons left. His body has been beat to pieces. More than likely you start to see a serious fall off with Ben sooner rather than later...if we haven't already seen the beginning of it.

So Dee is suggesting we get some serious reload loot for a guy who very well could be in the twilight of his career.

I would actually be on board for this if there was an Andrew Luck type of QB in the draft this year. IMO, this is a weak year for QBs...with Bridgewater being the only guy I would consider as my possible franchise type QB. AJ might be good, but far from a sure thing. There is no one else. And there is the problem with the logic. There is no one out there that can replace Ben on any level.

As for 6 QBs in the first...I think 5 is possible. But most are system QBs. The only guy I think that has the talent to carry a team is Manziel, and who wants that circus?
    Last edited by Shawn; 10-17-2013 at 06:59 AM.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think signing Ben to a contract extension similar to the one Tom Brady signed would be our best option, not getting rid of him. Brady was going to account for $21 million towards the cap in 2013, but by signing his extension he only accounted for 13mil. The only downside is the contract is mostly all guaranteed.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    I think signing Ben to a contract extension similar to the one Tom Brady signed would be our best option, not getting rid of him. Brady was going to account for $21 million towards the cap in 2013, but by signing his extension he only accounted for 13mil. The only downside is the contract is mostly all guaranteed.
    Brady hasn't taken the hits Ben has taken. Manning hasn't taken the hits Ben has taken. Ben doesn't have the same on the field life expectancy as most QBs due to a poor OL and play style.
    Trolls are people too.