Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Replacements

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I chuckle once again. Just because DL is "old" his schemes don't work anymore..blah blah blah..... How is it that the DC is blamed, when all we see is a bunch of underperforming overpaid aged players not doing their job?

Sigh.... again, it's not the scheme, it's the players. Disagree?? Well there are a few fans of another team that would differ with your comments. Don't look now, but Ray Horton has installed DL's defense in Browns country and they are currently sitting at No. 4 total defense in the league. It works, just gotta find the right players.

[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/10/post_26.html"]www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/10/post_26.html[/URL]
    If we had a DLIne and Hayden it just might work for us too

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    There are maybe three "game changing" head coaches in the entire NFL so you are wasting your time looking for one. For a HC you need a steady hand who can handle the inevitable outside pressures and distractions. It is the coordinators who have the biggest role in game prep and execution. Both ours can go.
    I don't know that we are looking for a "game changing" head coach as much as one who the players have not yet tuned out. I truly believe that at this point they have quit on DL for example. As much as they respect the man, and will tell you they love him, the defenders are not making plays when they are in position. They are not knocking players backwards, they are giving up easy plays and extra yards all over the place.

Let's take a couple of examples...

On the Blount TD late in the game, how many defenders had him in their hands and let him escape? And it is not like this is Adrian Peterson, a guy with a rep of making defenders look foolish, this is a guy who was jettisoned out of Tampa for being fat and lazy.

Speaking of Peterson, how many times did the Steelers D look disinterested in tackling him in London?

Against Pryor, we all know what Woodley's job was on his long run...DO NOT OVER-PURSUE! YOU HAVE BACKSIDE CONTAIN! But what happened? I'd love to lay all of the blame on Woodley, but if every player plays this way then it is not an individual problem, and therefore lands at the feet of coaching.

I know that this rant strayed from the original topic, but if they are tuning out Lebeau, I also think they are tuning out Tomlin. If that is the case then what is required is "change for the sake of change".

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I chuckle once again. Just because DL is "old" his schemes don't work anymore..blah blah blah..... How is it that the DC is blamed, when all we see is a bunch of underperforming overpaid aged players not doing their job?

Sigh.... again, it's not the scheme, it's the players. Disagree?? Well there are a few fans of another team that would differ with your comments. Don't look now, but Ray Horton has installed DL's defense in Browns country and they are currently sitting at No. 4 total defense in the league. It works, just gotta find the right players.

[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/10/post_26.html"]www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2013/10/post_26.html[/URL]
    I NEVER said the scheme wouldn't work. And if we had the '08 defense, Lebeau sould still be a great coach. But we don't, and so you can't work 40-hour work weeks (as a D-coordinator), when every other coach in the league puts in 70 hours. No one can tell me that a 76-year old has the energy and mental acuteness of a 40-year old.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I don't know that we are looking for a "game changing" head coach as much as one who the players have not yet tuned out. I truly believe that at this point they have quit on DL for example. As much as they respect the man, and will tell you they love him, the defenders are not making plays when they are in position. They are not knocking players backwards, they are giving up easy plays and extra yards all over the place.

Let's take a couple of examples...

On the Blount TD late in the game, how many defenders had him in their hands and let him escape? And it is not like this is Adrian Peterson, a guy with a rep of making defenders look foolish, this is a guy who was jettisoned out of Tampa for being fat and lazy.

Speaking of Peterson, how many times did the Steelers D look disinterested in tackling him in London?

Against Pryor, we all know what Woodley's job was on his long run...DO NOT OVER-PURSUE! YOU HAVE BACKSIDE CONTAIN! But what happened? I'd love to lay all of the blame on Woodley, but if every player plays this way then it is not an individual problem, and therefore lands at the feet of coaching.

I know that this rant strayed from the original topic, but if they are tuning out Lebeau, I also think they are tuning out Tomlin. If that is the case then what is required is "change for the sake of change".
    The D is on strike until the ping pong table returns

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    If we had a DLIne and Hayden it just might work for us too
    yes, and that's just the point isn't it? line talent has never been replaced from the mid-2000s. In my opinion, the scouting and personnel depts. need a complete overall. they have completely missed the boat recently.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The D is on strike until the ping pong table returns

They've even taken it a step further....

the D has BECOME the ping pong table, with opposing players bouncing off them and continuing to move forward.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Belichick plays chess while other coaches play checkers. Tomlin is a checkers guy.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    They've even taken it a step further....

the D has BECOME the ping pong table, with opposing players bouncing off them and continuing to move forward.
    It's like they're playing against Forrest Gump without a paddle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

....What FAs do you want to sign?....
    No offense here flip but this just drives me nuts. I do not understand the delusional fanatic. The one who can not even see straight because of his love for his team.

There is no money to sign any viable free agents. This team is already the 3rd highest over the 2014 cap for a total of 41 players.

This is just the beginning. It is going to get worse.

But some have to be hit in the head with a brink to see what is really right in front of them.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    No offense here flip but this just drives me nuts. I do not understand the delusional fanatic. The one who can not even see straight because of his love for his team.

There is no money to sign any viable free agents. This team is already the 3rd highest over the 2014 cap for a total of 41 players.

This is just the beginning. It is going to get worse.

But some have to be hit in the head with a brink to see what is really right in front of them.
    We'll have a boatload of money once we trade Ben :P