Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time running short for rookies Hawthorne, Williams

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Guys aren't picked up when cut based on their preseason performance. They're picked up b/c they were on someone's draft board and they had interest in them back in April. If a team wanted to pick Hawthorne sees he's been cut, then they'll probably grab him based on their April evaluations.
    If you REALLY want somebody, you dont let 5 rounds go before taking him.
    If you have him in the 6th round in a 7 round draft will getting cut by a team that NEEDS SECONDARY HELP, inspire confidence?
    We have seen him up close and let him go DESPITE our need.

Truth is we ALWAYS worry that someone is after our practice squad guys.

How many 5 round rookies on other teams who have done jack squat do you remember our signing to the active roster?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Guys aren't picked up when cut based on their preseason performance. They're picked up b/c they were on someone's draft board and they had interest in them back in April. If a team wanted to pick Hawthorne sees he's been cut, then they'll probably grab him based on their April evaluations.
    I believe that a team who poaches a player off of a PS must put him on their 53. That is only if the player accepts the PS designation to begin with. Who is going to place this guy on their 53? If they wanted him so badly he would not have lasted until the fifth round. It isn't like they took him in the third and are trying to stash him. It would have to be a team who is so bad, with such low expectations, who is willing to redshirt a guy, and still did not like him enough to grab him earlier than Pittsburgh did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I believe that a team who poaches a player off of a PS must put him on their 53. That is only if the player accepts the PS designation to begin with. Who is going to place this guy on their 53? If they wanted him so badly he would not have lasted until the fifth round. It isn't like they took him in the third and are trying to stash him. It would have to be a team who is so bad, with such low expectations, who is willing to redshirt a guy, and still did not like him enough to grab him earlier than Pittsburgh did.
    My point exactly.
    Teams are STRUGGLING just like us cutting players to get to 53 and people think they are gonna jump on the chance to grab someone who "might" have barely been on their board as a very late pick?
    They have to cut one more guy to make room for that someone who wasnt able to make the roster of a cornerback starved team.

I ntell you if he goes to the practice squad he aint goin nowhere.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

If a team signs a player off another team’s practice squad, that player takes up a roster spot for the new team for at least three weeks, bye weeks included. Even if the team releases the player after one week, he still counts against the 53 for the whole three weeks. There’s no signing a player from PS to PS. And a team cannot sign a player from a practice squad of a team they’re playing the next week.

Not sure if it changed, but for the 2012 season, a practice squad player made $5,700.00 per week. (Not big boy money but that’s $96,900.00 for a 17 week season).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    My point exactly.
    Teams are STRUGGLING just like us cutting players to get to 53 and people think they are gonna jump on the chance to grab someone who "might" have barely been on their board as a very late pick?
    They have to cut one more guy to make room for that someone who wasnt able to make the roster of a cornerback starved team.

I ntell you if he goes to the practice squad he aint goin nowhere.
    I think you are probably right here. If you are going to cut him and stash him, wait until the last cuts - don't do it early where another team would have a chance to look at him for a few weeks before final cuts.

He is behind, but I'm interested to see what he shows, if anything, in the remaining games and practices.

Rookie

User Info Menu

How many guys have the Steelers lost off of the PS?

More than you may realize:

Al Woods, Toney Clemons, Ryan Lee...

Starter

User Info Menu

Seven Steelers who need to shine in second preseason matchup with Redskins

By SteelCityRoller on Aug 15 2013

Pretty interesting post or article whatever. It was linked from that site called Behind The Steel Curtian. That site is quite often linked. \

I rarely visit that site. It is not a forum. Is it what they call a Blog? But anyway I prefer the forum format like this site where there is more interaction between posters.

The Roller listed 7 players. 2 were drafted rookies, 1 was one of those been around a while UDFA types and 4 were players with some time on last years active 53. I would have added Baron Batch and Chris Carter to that group.