Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Perspective on Woodley

Legend

User Info Menu

Interesting Perspective on Woodley

Have to admit, I've been surprised so many continue dogging Woodley. He's looked really good to me this season when he's going after the QB. And I've thought a lot of times his numbers would better reflect his performance if we got any push up the middle and QBs couldn't avoid him so easily by stepping up in the pocket.

Glad to finally see an article backing up what I think I've been seeing. Looks like Woodley is the second most effective pass rusher in the game according to these numbers:

[url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/lamarr-woodley-continues-career-best-pace-as-pass-rusher/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I said the same thing earlier in the year, and again about the lack of push up the middle in another post earlier. His numbers might not reflect it but Woodley has done his job for the most part this season. The failures of the D are not on him...except for the opening play run by Pryor.

Legend

User Info Menu

so he's not being used properly?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Flippy, thanks for posting. I'm one of the guys that's been dissing him (at least in my head).
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Have to admit, I've been surprised so many continue dogging Woodley. He's looked really good to me this season when he's going after the QB. And I've thought a lot of times his numbers would better reflect his performance if we got any push up the middle and QBs couldn't avoid him so easily by stepping up in the pocket.

Glad to finally see an article backing up what I think I've been seeing. Looks like Woodley is the second most effective pass rusher in the game according to these numbers:

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/11/lamarr-woodley-continues-career-best-pace-as-pass-rusher/[/URL]

As I read it. we can't get to the QB, but our primary pass rushers, our OLBs, are sent less to get the QB than any other OLBs in the league. Anyone else have a problem with this. So much for the glory days of "Blitzburgh." I guess now it is a "Sitzburgh" defense sitting backing and waiting for something to come to us.

Anyone else need more evidence we need a change at DC?

I hope someone can correct me that I read this article wrong.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    As I read it. we can't get to the QB, but our primary pass rushers, our OLBs, are sent less to get the QB than any other OLBs in the league. Anyone else have a problem with this. So much for the glory days of "Blitzburgh." I guess now it is a "Sitzburgh" defense sitting backing and waiting for something to come to us.

it's crazy... our best pass rusher is rushing less than every other OLB. smh...

Legend

User Info Menu

The interesting thing in the article is Woodley's pass rushing productivity is higher than Harrison's when he was DMVP. So Woodley's not only playing good, he's playing great. Granted he's not the tackling machine that Harrison was and it's not even close in that regard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

It is crazy. But then again, maybe he'd be less effective if teams knew he was always coming. Maybe the surprise or keeping him fresh makes him more effective. But still send the man more!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    so he's not being used properly?
    I think that it is subject to debate whether or not he is used properly. What it does say is that he does not get nearly as many opportunities to rush the passer as other 3-4 LBs, and that you can't just look at sack totals to determine how effective he is. I find it unbelievable that he generates pressure at a higher rate than Mario Williams. A guy like that has only one job when the QB drops back, and that is go get him.

What I have noticed is different though. Back in the days of the much maligned Casey Hampton, the middle of the pocket was always closing in. Not fast, there weren't sacks coming from there, but the QB did not have the option to move up in the pocket to safety. Today, any opposing QB feeling pressure from the outside rush can simply take a step forward and is once again in position to survey the field. In years past, that choice would have resulted in either a sack or a throwaway most of the time. Today, the result is often a completion, a big scramble...a total reset of the situation.

Look at the Bears game highlights for many examples of our soft middle. Forte up the middle, doesn't get touched until he reaches the goalline for a 5 yd TD. Forte up the middle untouched for 55 yards. On Cutler's big scramble in the second half, huge pressure from both outside rushers - Wood and Timmons. Cutler step up into miles of daylight. He could have done anything he wanted from there, scrambles for a first and hit Golden head on.

Against NE...Ridley up the middle, missed arm tackles, TD... Blount up the middle, through lazy wrap ups, TD. All year so far, the middle is cotton-ball soft. Can't blame Woodley for that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that it is subject to debate whether or not he is used properly. What it does say is that he does not get nearly as many opportunities to rush the passer as other 3-4 LBs, and that you can't just look at sack totals to determine how effective he is. I find it unbelievable that he generates pressure at a higher rate than Mario Williams. A guy like that has only one job when the QB drops back, and that is go get him.

What I have noticed is different though. Back in the days of the much maligned Casey Hampton, the middle of the pocket was always closing in. Not fast, there weren't sacks coming from there, but the QB did not have the option to move up in the pocket to safety. Today, any opposing QB feeling pressure from the outside rush can simply take a step forward and is once again in position to survey the field. In years past, that choice would have resulted in either a sack or a throwaway most of the time. Today, the result is often a completion, a big scramble...a total reset of the situation.

Look at the Bears game highlights for many examples of our soft middle. Forte up the middle, doesn't get touched until he reaches the goalline for a 5 yd TD. Forte up the middle untouched for 55 yards. On Cutler's big scramble in the second half, huge pressure from both outside rushers - Wood and Timmons. Cutler step up into miles of daylight. He could have done anything he wanted from there, scrambles for a first and hit Golden head on.

Against NE...Ridley up the middle, missed arm tackles, TD... Blount up the middle, through lazy wrap ups, TD. All year so far, the middle is cotton-ball soft. Can't blame Woodley for that.
    It's not a secret. Any team that can control the Nose on both sides of the ball will win a lot of games. Period. McClendon is too easily moved side-to-side. Hampton was an immovable object, even against double teams.

Do the Steelers have a true Nose tackle on the roster?... I'm not sure.

On the other side of the ball, a center that can push the NT out of the way like a D Dawson or J Hartwig is what they have been lacking. So there are no surprises with the current line play.