Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trying not to be a chicken little, but....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

trying not to be a chicken little, but....

I see almost nothing positive within this team. There is no Hines Ward - a guy who is going to tough it out and inspire his teammates. There is no James Harrison - the guy who inspires fear in opposing offenses and wreaks havoc when it is most needed.

Polamalu is still an animal, but I have long been torn on him. He does so many incredible things, but how much are his teammates handicapped by his freelancing?

I have no explanation for the pathetic offense. I have no explanation for why Ben is suddenly un-clutch and inaccurate when it hurts the most.

I have no explanation for why the team can't force a turnover to save their lives....or the season.

When it comes down to it, I think this team doesn't really exist. There are a bunch of individuals, some more talented than others, but I don't see a team out there.

I'm ready to see them clean house. They are trying to play with offensive and defensive schemes that don't work in today's NFL, and it's getting really hard to watch week in and week out.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Turning the ball over has never been an effective NFL scheme, regardless of time period...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Turning the ball over has never been an effective NFL scheme, regardless of time period...
    This is both true and funny, thank you Slap.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    This is both true and funny, thank you Slap.

Pappy
    You're welcome. I'm the sad clown...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You're welcome. I'm the sad clown...
    Slap, I didn't have too much hope for this season as the pre-season wore on and the first team (both offensive and defensive) continued to struggle I had an unsettling feeling that it was going to be a long year. Now, even though they lost big tonight there were signs of life, they played 2 good quarters of football as opposed to no good quarters of football the first two weeks.

The Steelers can still be a spoiler; I don't see them digging out of an 0-3 start and making a run at the division which will be their only avenue into theplayoffs, but it would be sweet to knock a team or two out the playoffs.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I see almost nothing positive within this team. There is no Hines Ward - a guy who is going to tough it out and inspire his teammates. There is no James Harrison - the guy who inspires fear in opposing offenses and wreaks havoc when it is most needed.

Polamalu is still an animal, but I have long been torn on him. He does so many incredible things, but how much are his teammates handicapped by his freelancing?

I have no explanation for the pathetic offense. I have no explanation for why Ben is suddenly un-clutch and inaccurate when it hurts the most.

I have no explanation for why the team can't force a turnover to save their lives....or the season.

When it comes down to it, I think this team doesn't really exist. There are a bunch of individuals, some more talented than others, but I don't see a team out there.

I'm ready to see them clean house. They are trying to play with offensive and defensive schemes that don't work in today's NFL, and it's getting really hard to watch week in and week out.
    Maybe just being a realist, and thinking proactively. Chicken Little was neurotic and a pessimist. Surprised if he or she was also not OCD.

Legend

User Info Menu

It'll be interesting watching to see which players emerge into the 'future' of the Steelers. And which Steelers tank the rest of the season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    It'll be interesting watching to see which players emerge into the 'future' of the Steelers. And which Steelers tank the rest of the season.
    Would it be accurate to say the offense took off once Gilbert was replaced by Beachum?

I still think we make the playoffs this year. If not for the turnovers we could be 3-0. I think the turnovers will even out and we'll be fine. Plus we are still playing short-handed (injuries).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers need to rebuild and get out of cap hell. It could get uglier to do so.

At what point do they look into trading some vets? 0-4? 1-6?

how is the staff and FO overhauled?

do we contact BA and the Cards about trading for Ben?

is Ben too old to hold onto while we reload? Can his body withstand it?

do we have any young players to build with on offense?

this is not a deep team. How will we build depth as we rebuild the starting units?

it is a daunting task, but we are approaching a tipping point.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

I saw some improvement. We'll see where it goes from here but 0-3 sucks. Especially 0-2 at home.