Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dale Lolley's Steelers Camp Notes

Legend

User Info Menu

Dale Lolley's Steelers Camp Notes

Steelers July 29th notes

posted by Dale Lolley

I finally got to sit and watch - OK, stand and watch - an entire practice Sunday for the first time at this camp without having to hustle somewhere else or have things abbreviated by the threat of rain.

I saw some pretty good things out there.

Second-year linebacker Chris Carter looks physically bigger on the field and his functional strength is improved. Once just a guy who could beat you with his quick first step, Carter can now lock onto somebody and force them where he wants to go instead of the other way around.

He did this in the backs on tight ends drills against David Johnson, then handled Leonard Pope.

Carter told me after practice that he's added eight to 10 pounds of muscle.

Being that he's starting opposite LaMarr Woodley with both James Harrison and Jason Worilds on the PUP list, it was a good move for Carter.

@ The Steelers had a physical pads practice and had some players dinged up at times.

Starting running back Isaac Redman took a shot early and sat out a few plays, but the most serious injury was to cornerback Keenan Lewis, who suffered an injury to the AC joint in his right shoulder during a sideline collision.

He could be sidelined a while, with Cortez Allen moving into his starting spot.

Offensive linemen Trai Essex and David DeCastro also suffered minor ankle sprains, but are not expected to miss any time.

Tight end Heath Miller (ankle) and punter Jeremy Kapinos (back) were joined on the sidelines Sunday by wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who was given the day off by head coach Mike Tomlin rather than have him practice on field turf.

As for good news on the injury front, safety Damon Cromartie-Smith is expected to be activated from the PUP list on Wednesday. He has been out with a shoulder injury.

@ Funny moment of the day came when offensive tackle Max Starks was working with the other PUP list players on his conditioning.

After running back Rashard Mendenhall completed a cone drill with the ball in his hands, Starks did the same.

I told the guy next to me that if Starks had the ball in his hands on a play, something had gone terribly wrong.

Starks came to his senses on the next drill and declined the ball when Mendenhall offered it to him.

@ The catch of the day belonged to first-year receiver Jimmy Young.

Working against Ike Taylor, Young went to the ground down the sideline on the final play of practice to snare a perfect pass from Byron Leftwich, hanging onto the ball as his helmet popped off upon contact with the ground.

@ While Carter looked improved, both Johnson and Leonard Pope disappointed in the backs on tight ends drill.

The clear star was LaMarr Woodley, which is why they are paying him the big bucks. Woodley whipped everyone in sight.

[URL]http://burgh.us/f9l[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

What the heck does this mean?

@ While Carter looked improved, both Johnson and Leonard Pope disappointed in the backs on tight ends drill.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

probably meant to say backs and tight ends drill
    lets hope Haley realizes that David Johnson is not a FB nor an NFL caliber TE.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    We can only hope someone comes to their senses and sends Johnson packing. The guy is good at nothing except consuming oxygen.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We can only hope someone comes to their senses and sends Johnson packing. The guy is good at nothing except consuming oxygen.
    I suspect he's not even good at that.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I suspect he's not even good at that.
    A vegetable like him can only consume carbon dioxide.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I really think that the love affair with Johnson was mostly on the part of Arians...

After spending a draft pick and developing him for three years, I can understand the desire to tender him for his (cheap) original draft pick amount and see if a position change will do him good...

But, I'm thinking that Tomlin really wants Will Johnson to step up and take the job...

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe he is referring to the LBs on back and TEs drill.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's usually called the backs on backers drill. You can combine the backs with the TEs or have a session with just TEs on backers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here are his notes from today:

[url]http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/[/url]

I've never been a big Plaxico fan, but if Wallace holds out for a while, he probably does make sense as a 4th WR.