Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Madden: Leaving Might be Ben's Best Bet

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This is incorrect.

"The Ravens had reportedly asked Boldin to take a pay cut to help the team with its salary-cap situation. Boldin is scheduled to earn $6 million in the coming season. He carries a $7.531 million salary-cap figure."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9040950/baltimore-ravens-trade-anquan-boldin-san-francisco-49ers-pick-sources[/URL]

Or...

When the Ravens traded Boldin in March, it followed a contract dispute where negotiations went nowhere on the Super Bowl champions' attempt to convince him to take a $2 million pay cut off of his $6 million base salary to lower his $7.531 million salary-cap figure. Following an impressive postseason, Boldin understandably saw no reason why he should accept a dollar less than $6 million.

And the Ravens were dealing with an extremely tight salary-cap situation that prompted them to address Boldin's contract.
    Rather than cut him, which they were on the verge of doing days before the trade, the Ravens unloaded him to the 49ers for a sixth-round draft pick over a competing offer of a seventh-round pick from the Minnesota Vikings.

As a result of the trade, the Ravens picked up $6 million in salary-cap space that granted them the financial resources to obtain reinforcements for their defense, including outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil, defensive tackle Chris Canty, free safety Michael Huff, who struggled against Denver, and middle linebacker Daryl Smith.

[URL]http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-looking-back-at-ravens-trade-of-anquan-boldin-as-he-thrives-in-49ers-debut-20130908,0,5220514.story[/URL]
    Dub, he had a cap number of $7.5 and a base salary of $6 million. The Ravens ate the prorated bonus (about $1.5 millon) but were off the hook on the cap number.

With the restructures, a big part of Ben's upcoming cap number is the prorated portion of past bonuses. It would hit the Steelers cap this year if they traded him. They would not be responsible for the base salary.

It's the same reason why trading Woodley or Timmons would be nearly impossible from a financial perspective (leaving the football/talent issue aside).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Dub, he had a cap number of $7.5 and a base salary of $6 million. The Ravens ate the prorated bonus (about $1.5 millon) but were off the hook on the cap number.

With the restructures, a big part of Ben's upcoming cap number is the prorated portion of past bonuses. It would hit the Steelers cap this year if they traded him. They would not be responsible for the base salary.
    $$$$
    Since Ben has been restructured several times, and more of his salary transferred to bonuses, trading him would cost the Steelers a huge cap hit...as I understand it, there's no magic way to make that huge hit disappear, in spite of Dub's assertions (although I could be missing something--I certainly don't have a handle on all this "capology" ).
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 11-12-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    yup, cuz players and agents never say stuff like that when it comes making the player look good and the owners look bad to the public.............sheeesh
    We have seen this in many sports many times. If Ben wanted out he simply spins it to "well if they don't want me I guess i have to think about playing somewhere else". Once the cats out of the bag it would be better for him since he would be leaving anyway. Based on everything Ben said his agent said and the Steelers said this is not the case.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$
    Since Ben has been restructured several times, and more of his salary transferred to bonuses, trading him would cost the Steelers a huge cap hit...as I understand it, there's no magic way to make that huge hit disappear, in spite of Dub's assertions (although I could be missing something--I certainly don't have a handle on all this "capology" ).
    You know what would be cool? If teams could trade cap space with other teams? For example one team could swap $XM in extra cap space for a 1st round pick?

It would never fly, but it could make things interesting and trades more doable no matter the situation.

It also might incent teams to save some cap space to give themselves flexibility.

It's interesting teams like the Pats get loads of credit for stockpiling draft picks every year. But there isn't really a team out there that stockpiles cap space in a similar way to give themselves the flexibility to adapt their team on the fly. I bet someone smart could come up with a way to field a competitive team consistently $10-$20M under the cap. But no one ever does this.

I bet there's a Moneyball for the NFL scenario that's waiting for some mathematician to decipher.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    We have seen this in many sports many times. If Ben wanted out he simply spins it to "well if they don't want me I guess i have to think about playing somewhere else". Once the cats out of the bag it would be better for him since he would be leaving anyway. Based on everything Ben said his agent said and the Steelers said this is not the case.
    That makes no sense. The league is past the trade deadline and he still has 7 games to go. That's 7 games to face Steeler fans, his teammates, and the media. If he wanted out it would be stupid to say something now. Of course he has to deny it.

Somebody with in the organization knows something and it was leaked out. I bet we will hear more about this after a few more loses and a whole lot more after the season.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MisterCrash View Post
    Poor Dub he wants this to happen so bad it's sad. And for what? Because he wants Art's dumb down playbook to continue.
    No I dont think that is why I have said I want this trade.

It is in the best interests of this franchise to do so. But most here wont understand that until a few years down the line. When it's too late and Ben is a shell of himself.

I do not like Todd Haley as coordinator. I was the one who adamantly said it was a mistake to hire a guy who never played a down of football at any level when they hired him. He will always have a disconnect with his players.

I was also the one who posted a thread at the beginning of last season that the Steelers window was closing and they were about to under go a long dry spell.

They are 11-14 in the past year and a half. And that is with having the all important franchise QB. It is going to be worse next season. And boy the cry from Steeler fans is going to be deafening. Weeping and gnashing of teeth kind of stuff.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And the Broncos were 24-24 with Elway on the team from 1992-1994.

How'd he finish?

Cap hell is gone after 2014. I'm not throwing Ben away to HOPE AJ McCarron or anyone else pans out.
    .500 is not below .500. There's a difference. Elway never ever played behind an offensive line like Ben does. And he didnt take the beating Ben has.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

...I'm not throwing Ben away to HOPE AJ McCarron or anyone else pans out.
    This is what most Steeler fans were saying about Tommie Maddox when I was saying they need to draft a franchise QB in 2004.

And no one here has ever suggested throwing Ben away. Did you ever catch my part about only trading Ben if they got a Hershel Walker trade value in return?

That is hardly throwing Ben away.

Fans are like old people. They are so scared of change.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

So if the Steelers go 5-2 to end the year and are 16-16 in 2 seasons you change your mind? LOL
    See how can you have a conversation if one has no grasp of reality? This team is lucky to win 2 more games. But hold on to hope..and hold on to Ben. See what that gets you the rest of this year and next.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd like to draft a future franchise QB to learn behind Ben like Aaron Rodgers behind Favre. Ben is good for 3-5 more years dependent upon his durability only.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S