Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Is something wrong with the D?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Troy is playing well... but he is out of position as a 5th LB
    If Troy is playing as a 5th LB... and IMO, the biggest individual weak link in our D right now is our inexperienced replacements for Foote (Williams/Wilson)... we need to hybrid our 3-4 to get Williams/Wilson off the field, let Troy play more at the LoS, and get the 11 best guys on the field. e.g. I would much rather have Sharknado in the secondary in the lineup, than either Williams or Wilson at ILB. If for no other reason than his down-the-road potential (which I don't think Williams or Wilson have; I hate wasting game reps on young guys who have no potential).

Call it a "4-3", a hybrid, whatever you want... I will let the coaches figure out the specifics... But I think they have a wildcard (in Troy), which they should maximize, to get the best players on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If Troy is playing as a 5th LB... and IMO, the biggest individual weak link in our D right now is our inexperienced replacements for Foote (Williams/Wilson)... we need to hybrid our 3-4 to get Williams/Wilson off the field, let Troy play more at the LoS, and get the 11 best guys on the field. e.g. I would much rather have Sharknado in the secondary in the lineup, than either Williams or Wilson at ILB. If for no other reason than his down-the-road potential (which I don't think Williams or Wilson have; I hate wasting game reps on young guys who have no potential).

Call it a "4-3", a hybrid, whatever you want... I will let the coaches figure out the specifics... But I think they have a wildcard (in Troy), which they should maximize, to get the best players on the field.
    Since we drafted Shark, I've been of the opinion we should look to use him as a MLB/S on 3 downs even with Foote in the mix. We could run a nickle as our base D. Even get more of the DLine off the field.

The thing with Williams is I do think he has potential. And his issue right now is reacting slow to everything. It's not helping that the guys around him aren't playing well. The Dline and Timmons aren't making anything easier on him.

If Williams was the guy missing all the tackles and the 1 weak link on D, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But I don't see it. No one around him is making plays. And it's making him worse.

I know preseason isn't perfect, but he did show us starting in the preseason that he's fairly comfortable even dropping into coverage. I think he'll work his way into being a player. It'd be nice if we could ease him in a little and not force him to call all the plays on D 2 games into his NFL career. I think it's a lot to ask of the kid.

Legend

User Info Menu

I've been telling my brothers the same thing.
    If DL wants to use him as an extra LBer than bring in a true safety.
    Let Troy peel off and cut off the short quick passes being thrown against our massive cushions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ike isn't having a great year IMO. He should have 3 INT's... dude can't catch so you can throw at him all day without worrying about an INT. Our best defender can't catch.
    I'd love for the O to throw at Ike all day. No ints but lots and lots of 3 and outs. Better than what is happening now.

But the fact is that teams avoid Ike despite their knowledge that he will not pick it off. Despite the fact that their number one receiver is the target. Why would that be? Apparently because the chance of success is greater throwing to their number two and three than throwing to their top guy when he is covered by Ike.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The thing with Williams is I do think he has potential. And his issue right now is reacting slow to everything. It's not helping that the guys around him aren't playing well. The Dline and Timmons aren't making anything easier on him.
    I'm curious to know what you guys see as his potential? Who (ideally or realistically) do you think he compares to? Because I don't see it... and I want to. I find it hard to believe that a guy from a major school like FSU, can go so lowly regarded in the draft (6th round), and be regarded as anything other than training camp fodder.

He has size, and presumably, strength. I see him at best, as a poorman's David Little. Maybe another Tyrone Stowe (for those who remember him. For those that don't, Stowe was a nobody in the early 90s--but he hit hard if you were on his train tracks.)

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm curious to know what you guys see as his potential? Who (ideally or realistically) do you think he compares to? Because I don't see it... and I want to. I find it hard to believe that a guy from a major school like FSU, can go so lowly regarded in the draft (6th round), and be regarded as anything other than training camp fodder.

He has size, and presumably, strength. I see him at best, as a poorman's David Little. Maybe another Tyrone Stowe (for those who remember him. For those that don't, Stowe was a nobody in the early 90s--but he hit hard if you were on his train tracks.)
    I think he can be a more physical Larry Foote. Like Foote, he's a little small and a little slow, but early on in the preseason, he looked like a guy that makes a read and attacks it. And that's what Foote was always good at, figuring out where to be and attacking it. IMHO, having to call the defense is a lot of responsibility for a guy just coming into the NFL. I think it takes away from his own ability to just read and react and he looks a little slow to make a decision right now and seems to be a step behind or a little indecisive.

In his first game, I thought he played better than his last. I'm not discounting the responsibility of calling the plays. I think it's slowed him down a bit. I'm really not sure why you don't have a guy like Timmons making the calls on the field?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If the Steelers defense wants off the field, maybe they should take care of themselves and got off the field. How about more 3 and outs? How about some turnovers? Instead of being this attacking scary defense, they play in about as a non attacking manner you can play in. When your OLB spend more time in coverage than attacking, then you lose.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

My bro-in-law is an FSU alum. He has been out many years but still watches every game and follows them as closely as we follow the Steelers. After every draft I will ask him about any Seminoles we picked or others who were notable - such as EJ Manuel. He had nothing positive to say about Williams and he lives in an FSU myopic universe when it comes to football. Starter but won't be missed. Barely remembered his name when I mentioned him which says a lot to me. Not a bad player, but nobody to get excited about was his reaction.

From what I have seen, he brings a lot of attitude and a love of hitting. If he will work as hard off the field as he seems to bring onto the field then maybe he can develop into a non-liability starter. I would say somewhere along the lines of a harder hitting Foote as someone mentioned. IMO Foote is underrated by the fans. solid but unspectacular. You won't go far with a team full of Footes, but he can be a very valuable piece of your starting 11.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    My bro-in-law is an FSU alum. He has been out many years but still watches every game and follows them as closely as we follow the Steelers. After every draft I will ask him about any Seminoles we picked or others who were notable - such as EJ Manuel. He had nothing positive to say about Williams and he lives in an FSU myopic universe when it comes to football. Starter but won't be missed. Barely remembered his name when I mentioned him which says a lot to me. Not a bad player, but nobody to get excited about was his reaction.

From what I have seen, he brings a lot of attitude and a love of hitting. If he will work as hard off the field as he seems to bring onto the field then maybe he can develop into a non-liability starter. I would say somewhere along the lines of a harder hitting Foote as someone mentioned. IMO Foote is underrated by the fans. solid but unspectacular. You won't go far with a team full of Footes, but he can be a very valuable piece of your starting 11.
    That is the kind of insight I love to hear... college fan who watched consistently. This is what I think about Williams. The difference with Williams and Foote is different. Like your BIL, my bro is a UM fan. He loved Foote. But Foote was a decorated, tackle machine in college. I think he was the B-10 DPOY. Meanwhile, Williams wasn't even invited to the Combine, as a FSU veteran LB. That says a lot about him and his potential IMO. A lot.

As I've said, this is where the Spence injury hurts. If Spence doesn't get hurt, chances are, these are his reps. And Spence had A LOT of potential. I just hate spending reps on a guy who's not doing the job, nor will he probably ever. It is like putting gas in a wrecked car.

Legend

User Info Menu

That is the kind of insight I love to hear... college fan who watched consistently. This is what I think about Williams. The difference with Williams and Foote is different. Like your BIL, my bro is a UM fan. He loved Foote. But Foote was a decorated, tackle machine in college. I think he was the B-10 DPOY. Meanwhile, Williams wasn't even invited to the Combine, as a FSU veteran LB. That says a lot about him and his potential IMO. A lot.

As I've said, this is where the Spence injury hurts. If Spence doesn't get hurt, chances are, these are his reps. And Spence had A LOT of potential. I just hate spending reps on a guy who's not doing the job, nor will he probably ever. It is like putting gas in a wrecked car.
    Anyone know when Spence might come back. Now there's a kid I'm excited to see play!!!