Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: merril hoge sure sounded confident

Rookie

User Info Menu

LeBeau has always said things like this:

"We'll see how that goes. I don't think these guys had too bad of a year defensively," said LeBeau after the Steelers permitted the fewest points and second-fewest yards in 2010.
    Well, we haven't had a good year defensively...at 76, he may step back and take an advisory role like he did in Buffalo...

I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell retired as well....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Ben is good enough that he should be calling his own plays and have more input than he does. This without me knowing just how much or how little input he actually has. I don't place this teams troubles upon Haley either. Haley isn't the best OC but, we are not losing because of him. Our defense is a crap shoot when it comes to making plays.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Ben ran no huddle in the 2nd half and didn't call runs in the snow when Bell was performing, that's on him...

Administrator

User Info Menu

It just continues to amaze me the hate that Haley is getting meanwhile our defense is a complete joke.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

IDK steel I think there are plenty of DL haters on the board.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I agree with you both. Haley is the least of this team's problems. I see Lebeau being a much bigger issue. With that said, if there are player issues with Haley, if there is indeed a disconnect...you may see Haley gone to shake up the locker room environment and give many fans what they want. Fans expect changes when a Steeler team misses the playoffs. This move will protect Lebeau for one more season, and the Rooneys will look like they are doing something about the situation. As much as people might think Tomlin or the Rooneys run this team...they don't. The fans run this team. If fans sell tickets, stop buying gear and hit the team in the pocket book the Rooneys will be reactionary.
    Haley is not the problem anymore than Arians was the problem. They are just easy targets. Put an NFL caliber offensive line on the field and then evaluate Haley.

The last thing the Rooneys are worried about are fans not buying tickets, jerseys, etc. The existence and passion we see on this board ensures we are mental enough to keep the dollars rolling in so the Rooneys have no need to worry.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Haley is not the problem anymore than Arians was the problem. They are just easy targets. Put an NFL caliber offensive line on the field and then evaluate Haley.

The last thing the Rooneys are worried about are fans not buying tickets, jerseys, etc. The existence and passion we see on this board ensures we are mental enough to keep the dollars rolling in so the Rooneys have no need to worry.
    I agree with the first sentence, disagree with the second. Fans have been selling tickets this year. Wasn't there a call not to sell them to opposing teams? I also believe for one of the first times in Heinz another team had many fans in the stadium. The Steelers keep losing, and trust me fans will bail. The Rooneys are aware of this, and public perception isn't something I believe the Rooneys ignore.
    Trolls are people too.

Backup

User Info Menu

I don't think its Haleys fault , DL fault. I feel its the just the growing pains of having so many newer parts to the team. They can talk about age all they want, there are a lot of newbies out there. The Steelers of today just have so many new parts that their engine is not up to speed. Many missed assignments, individuals forgetting the team concept where every part has its place. The team through the last Super Bowl was a unit, both offense and defense. My feeling is that some of them just aren't getting it, therefore the unit is not together. There are flashes here and there. Defensively the flashes are much farther apart than the offense right now. But early the offense was not flashing anything but turnovers. What is sad about this years performance is this: One Ben could quite possibly finish this season without missing a snap, and that is directly from the offense so many loath. Two, Troy is playing without missing a snap that I can remember. So 2 parts to this team which are undoubtedly key leaders have not missed any plays. Yet, they do not carry the team, because the other parts just aren't up to running speed. And this makes me sad because now I have no hope of getting at least extra game in the playoffs to feed my hunger for Steeler football. Here is all for 2014 and the engine being better oiled and have better health insurance in the way of preventive injury coverage. Go Steelers,

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by raycafan View Post
    I don't think its Haleys fault , DL fault. I feel its the just the growing pains of having so many newer parts to the team. They can talk about age all they want, there are a lot of newbies out there. The Steelers of today just have so many new parts that their engine is not up to speed. Many missed assignments, individuals forgetting the team concept where every part has its place. The team through the last Super Bowl was a unit, both offense and defense. My feeling is that some of them just aren't getting it, therefore the unit is not together. There are flashes here and there. Defensively the flashes are much farther apart than the offense right now. But early the offense was not flashing anything but turnovers. What is sad about this years performance is this: One Ben could quite possibly finish this season without missing a snap, and that is directly from the offense so many loath. Two, Troy is playing without missing a snap that I can remember. So 2 parts to this team which are undoubtedly key leaders have not missed any plays. Yet, they do not carry the team, because the other parts just aren't up to running speed. And this makes me sad because now I have no hope of getting at least extra game in the playoffs to feed my hunger for Steeler football. Here is all for 2014 and the engine being better oiled and have better health insurance in the way of preventive injury coverage. Go Steelers,
    I agree. I was going to post in another thread, the defense on Sunday fielded at least 6 players with less than 5 yrs experience. Media focuses on old secondary, but there is a lot of youth out there right now. Experience=consistency, Inexperience=inconsistency. It's that simple. Been there, seen that, done that, vs haven't seen it, haven't done it, haven't been there.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If Ben ran no huddle in the 2nd half and didn't call runs in the snow when Bell was performing, that's on him...
    But he didn't run no huddle .. he didn't call the plays .. When asked why there weren't more runs in the second half, he clearly stated that he didn't know and the reporter should ask Haley. Hence, Haley was making the calls .. Hence the lack of runs against the 25th @!#%!!! run defense in the NFL in the second half falls squarely on Todd "I'm doing just enough to fool most of you" Haley. Yeah, let's bring this MORON back next year! At least we (and the teams we play) will know that we can count on him going away from whatever's working for us!