Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 games into the season and it's time to talk draft

Backup

User Info Menu

If we are selecting within the top ten,...Louis Nix or Anthony Barr. Both players are very likely of the "plug and play" quality in our system. Though as many will rightfully argue, they will not be allowed to start early. However, with the type of pedestrian defensive players on our roster, were either of them (Nix or Barr) to play up to and or surpass expectations,.. i think that could very well change.

Imho Nix immediately fills a gap (all pun intended) for us as the spearhead for the next generation of a punishing and aggressive 34 front seven. And Barr is actually the kind of player that we all thought Woodley had the potential to become.

We could go LT, but let's be honest,...even if that LT were to pan out, he's still protecting a QB that would take a beating even behind the Cowgirl's lines of the 90's because of the way he plays. And he's already a veteran by league standards.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You guys simply don't get it.

We're not going to trade down so just get over it. Even if we trade down (not gonna happen), the arguments that I see is that we need depth? Are you freaking serious? We don't need depth. We need starters. When we have good starters, then lets worry about depth.
    You need BAP. The problem with recent drafts is they are reaching for "starters". You'll never catch up drafting for needs. If someone falls in love with a QB there is nothing wrong with trading down a few slots to get extra picks. I have no idea if it will happen but saying it's wrong is not accurate. The clowns got raped a few years ago by moving up ONE spot. I'd do the same thing if given the opportunity.

Also the fact is that they aren't going to cut their recent draft picks. So depth is ALWAYS important. Jones, Decastro, Adams, Beechum, Gilbert, Wheaton, Brown, Bell, Thomas, and Williams Et EL are't going anywhere. But that doesn't mean you don't draft players at any of those positions. You draft the BAP.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Reaching for starters?

To which team are you referring?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Reaching for starters?

To which team are you referring?
    The Steelers have been reaching for starters for years now.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Please, enlighten me on some of these "reaches".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You guys simply don't get it.

We're not going to trade down so just get over it. Even if we trade down (not gonna happen), the arguments that I see is that we need depth? Are you freaking serious? We don't need depth. We need starters. When we have good starters, then lets worry about depth.
    Yea I get your point. Before this season how many rookies got to START? Not many. As far as I see it and think the Steelers do also is there are no starters in the draft. IF it happens that is a bonus. So many fans think this team needs a overhaul. So for the Steelers to do that you need draft picks. Also history tells me that the Steelers do not give up right away on high draft picks. So I have a hard time seeing them pick a LT. It will be very interesting to see what happens this draft.

Backup

User Info Menu

Please, enlighten me on some of these "reaches".

Lawrence Timmons, Ziggy Hood, Rashard Mendenhall, Limas Sweed, Jason Worilds, Sean Spence,.... trading up for a punter. etc

Rookie

User Info Menu

Apparently, we have a different definition of the word "reach"...for most of us, a "reach" would be a player who was overdrafted, or taken at a higher draft position than their talent would indicate...

Now, this is why many people say that you can't properly evaluate a draft for a few years or that the draft is a crap shoot...players just don't work out sometimes...

That doesn't make the player a "reach"...that just makes them a draft pick that didn't work out...

On that list, maybe Worilds fits the definition of a "reach"...maybe...but I'm pretty sure that, at the time, he had a concensus 2nd round grade...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    No offense to you J-P-N, but I hate that excuse for Adams. It is not like we made a Defensive Tackle try and play (Offensive) Left Tackle. Switching of sides is overrated. I mean... you probably will be less effective, but it isn't going to turn you from a starting quality RT into a laughable LT.

The notion that the switch may have irreversably affected him is annoying too (i.e. as if they ruined his chances to be a good player by letting him in the starting lineup). Whatever happens in his career, it is of his doing.
    I'll give you a pass...I think you misunderstood. You are way off. I'm not talking about switching sides RT-LT. It is the confidence I am talking about. Plugging Adams in at LT & letting him get run through before he was ready. The only thing annoying is your post since you didn't get the point. If you read...I did say "Unfortunately all of that is on Adams ". Now...You can step off your soapbox. Post wasn't bias towards Adams one way or the other. I am critical as much as I praise. I'm not going to sugar coat anything. Adams has to respond...Nobody else can fix that.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 11-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I understand the frustration by fans when two second round tackles don't work out. But, I agree...soft is soft. Gilbert was known as soft before the draft...Adams should have been. Right tackle, left tackle it doesn't matter...if you don't have a bit of a mean streak and struggle with work ethic and consistency...well being drafted in the second round and getting paid isn't going to help that. I'm sorry if my opinion offends some people.

I'll agree a mean streak is a solid trait for an OL-DL or a football player in general. However, simple demeanor doesn't dismiss a player. You are acting like you & 31 other teams tagged Adams & Gilbert soft and the Steelers were blind which wasn't the case Both put on tape high round skills. Consistency & other negative traits graded them to 2nd.

Players get put under the microscope through the process. Negative things are said about all prospects...That is just how it works. Jarvis Jones had questions about his work ethic. His tape made you ignore that. If he ends up being a bust are people going to crap on the Steelers again because it was somewhere in print? Of course...It will be the same people who want to say "I told you so". That is the only time they come out. You don't see them come out when they are wrong which numbers more. For every case of failure there is a success story. That is what we call the "Draft". Hindsight doesn't make you right. It makes you juvenile if you hit 1 out of 10 and want to jump up & down and say I told you so. It isn't your opinion that offends people.