Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Boomer E. just said it best.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    Newsflash.....Batch and Byron suck. Anybody trying to come to their defense you might as well dip that turd in some chocolate and take a big bite. They both have the admirable back up QB qualities of immobility, fragility and advance old age. Next year we need to draft the heir apparent to Ben so the learning curve can begin.
    lol...I agree!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers went with mind over matter. You have experience with Batch and Leftwich that, they thought would do better than the youth of a rookie or Dixon. Dixon wasn't the answer and neither was J.J. but, I thought J.J. would have eventually been better than Dixon. The Steelers have been playing it safe with keeping the old guys and I agreed with them except for Leftwich. I didn't even want him on the team let alone keeping his fragile body around after too many times proven that he can't hack it.
    I've just learned Batches days are behind him too. Unless yesterdays game was a, " rust remover moment " Batch no longer has the ability to step in and keep things turning.

Seven turnovers wasn't going to bear any team in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I thought going into the season we may have had the best trio of QB's in the league. Last year when ben was suspended they were able to perform well. Yes, everyone knows they are physically fragile - but these are two guys that HAVE been starters in the past and had some success. You don't expect miracles but you DO expect them to be able to hit the tight end on a 10 yard out pass. it's too early to draft and groom ben's replacement so I'm not sure what they should do. go with youth and inexperience? go with a proven non-starter journeyman ala tyler palko? ultimately if lefty hadn't got hurt (and tomlin had recognized it and pulled him) we probably win that game and if we only had 6 turnovers instead of 8 we probably win yesterday. still, even with much blame to go around our 2 backups played significant roles in defeat.

not sure where to go from here.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    I thought going into the season we may have had the best trio of QB's in the league. Last year when ben was suspended they were able to perform well. Yes, everyone knows they are physically fragile - but these are two guys that HAVE been starters in the past and had some success. You don't expect miracles but you DO expect them to be able to hit the tight end on a 10 yard out pass. it's too early to draft and groom ben's replacement so I'm not sure what they should do. go with youth and inexperience? go with a proven non-starter journeyman ala tyler palko? ultimately if lefty hadn't got hurt (and tomlin had recognized it and pulled him) we probably win that game and if we only had 6 turnovers instead of 8 we probably win yesterday. still, even with much blame to go around our 2 backups played significant roles in defeat.

not sure where to go from here.
    I'm on the same page with you. Perhaps Hoyer can be the reliable backup that the team needs going forward?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Burgh86steel is one of the few people in this thread making any sense. These guys are backups for a reason. Just because Batch played bad yesterday doesn't mean he doesn't have any good games in him. He needs time to adjust to the speed of the game just like any QB that hasn't played in years.

Batch certainly wasn't the biggest problem yesterday. When your top three backs each fumble on your side of the field you generally won't win a game. When your "elite" receiver can't catch a ball thrown at his back hip and instead bats it up in the air it doesn't help. When that same receiver, who supposedly has a great standing jump, let's the defender go up and intercept a ball instead of at least knocking it down that also doesn't help. When NOBODY steps up to make a play on offense we are going to lose.

So we can't run the ball, our big time receiver was non-existent, our play-making receiver was on the bench and every time we had a decent play we seemed to get called for holding. Batch's play seemed to fit in right with the rest of the offense. No better, no worse.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I remember it was either two or three seasons ago we had one rookie QB in camp, can't remember his name but, he seemed to have a presence about him on the field. Seemed to be accurate, made good reads and didn't panic. Besides that all I can remember about him was, he was a white kid with a big nose. I was upset they kept Dixon over big white nose. Does anyone remember the QB ?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I think Burgh86steel is one of the few people in this thread making any sense. These guys are backups for a reason. Just because Batch played bad yesterday doesn't mean he doesn't have any good games in him. He needs time to adjust to the speed of the game just like any QB that hasn't played in years.

Batch certainly wasn't the biggest problem yesterday. When your top three backs each fumble on your side of the field you generally won't win a game. When your "elite" receiver can't catch a ball thrown at his back hip and instead bats it up in the air it doesn't help. When that same receiver, who supposedly has a great standing jump, let's the defender go up and intercept a ball instead of at least knocking it down that also doesn't help. When NOBODY steps up to make a play on offense we are going to lose.

So we can't run the ball, our big time receiver was non-existent, our play-making receiver was on the bench and every time we had a decent play we seemed to get called for holding. Batch's play seemed to fit in right with the rest of the offense. No better, no worse.
    It seemed to me that Batch's timing was off on several throws. The timing was especially off on the deep passes. Based on the commentary, the timing aspect of the passing game was a concern for Tomlin. Batch threw several nice passes. Based on the throws he made, it's understandable why the coaches wanted to keep him around. Penalties hurt some of the plays Batch made in the passing game. I remember a nice throw he made to Heath which was called back due to a holding penalty.

Batch was a problem yesterday in that he needs to take better care of the football. Only time will tell if Batch can improve with more practice and playing time. At this point, he's what the Steelers have.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe one of the reasons that they kept Leftwich and Batch over Johnson is that Leftwich and Batch can help Ben. When Ben is playing, he can come off the field and talk to Byron and Charlie about what he is seeing out there, and what they are seeing from the sidelines. Veteran eyes can be helpful to a QB. Just another thought to add to the discussion.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Maybe one of the reasons that they kept Leftwich and Batch over Johnson is that Leftwich and Batch can help Ben. When Ben is playing, he can come off the field and talk to Byron and Charlie about what he is seeing out there, and what they are seeing from the sidelines. Veteran eyes can be helpful to a QB. Just another thought to add to the discussion.

That's valid but you don't need both Leftwich and Batch for that. That is why I was all for keeping 1 of them and replacing the other with Johnson. If for some strange reason Ben needs both, hire 1 of them as a QB coach/adviser or something like that. Batch would be good in a role like that.

Dixon proved to me that he wasn't a capable backup. That happens. Johnson proved enough to me that he deserved a roster spot at the expense of Bath or Leftwich.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That's valid but you don't need both Leftwich and Batch for that. That is why I was all for keeping 1 of them and replacing the other with Johnson. If for some strange reason Ben needs both, hire 1 of them as a QB coach/adviser or something like that. Batch would be good in a role like that.

Dixon proved to me that he wasn't a capable backup. That happens. Johnson proved enough to me that he deserved a roster spot at the expense of Bath or Leftwich.
    Me too. At the time I thought Batch or Leftwich was in trouble come time for the cuts to be made. I figured Batch would be let go because for some reason, they see value in Byron Brittle Leftwich. Yep, I thought J.J. won himself a spot on the team.