Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Let's play "Who would you pick..."

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by insanesteelersfan View Post
    Hood is a Monster. Far far better then Aaron Smith was when he was early on in his career. Hood led the league in QB pressures last season, something like 22 hurries. And QB pressure...not Sacks are what broke the pipe. Hood is an already proven Beast! To call him average is like saying " Reggie White " was an AVERAGE Player

what are you, insane?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    what are you, insane?
    Of course he is ... look at his user name.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We seem to hope every year to trade out of where we are in Round 1 but never do we find any joy or a trading partner. If Adams is the choice then I hope we do trade but won't hold my breath.
    2006 - Santonio Holmes
    2003 - Troy Polamalu
    2001 - Casey Hampton

Not every year, but not "never" either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    2006 - Santonio Holmes
    2003 - Troy Polamalu
    2001 - Casey Hampton

Not every year, but not "never" either.
    6 years since the last time is pretty long. I hope we do if it gets us DeCastro or preferrably Glenn but not holding my breath.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

6 years since the last time is pretty long. I hope we do if it gets us DeCastro or preferrably Glenn but not holding my breath.
    Those would be my two choices of those that are possibilities.

As far as the trading of first round picks, I think that sometimes fans might want a move that the FO does not. Example is that fans were screaming for a trade down in 2007 after Revis came off the board just one pick in front of us. The fan thinking was that players like Beason, Poz, Timmons, Jarvis Moss, Anthony Spencer, Staley - and Timmons - all had around the same value so we should trade down and pick up the one who gets left behind. But maybe the FO was targeting Timmons and was not willing to risk losing out. We do know that the team is not against or afraid of the idea, but they have a different thought process than we do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Poe should actually fit a 4-3 better. In the 3-4, he's somewhat of a tweener (3-4 DE height, 3-4 NT weight). With his athletic ability, he should be a one-gap, one-technique DT in a 4-3, not a two-gap, zero technique NT in a 3-4.

When he blew up at the combine, people were suddenly thinking he could potentially be a Haloti Ngata type. Even if he somehow fulfilled that prophesy, note that Ngata himself isn't used as an NT in the Baltimore defense (Cody is their NT now, Kelly Gregg was their NT before that).

Word has it, though, that after Poe's stock shot up from late-first-round to possible-top-10, his stock seems to be sliding back down again. Perhaps he will be available after all...
    Let me get on the record and say that picking Dontari Poe at 24 would be a large mistake on our part. Poe actually reminds me a lot of guys like Ziggy Hood. Ziggy also wowed scouts at the combine (not to the extent Poe did). Adding Poe to our line of Hood and Heyward would, while maybe solid/dependable would be far from dominant.

I actually liken Poe to Big Daddy Wilkinson. Like Big Daddy, his workout numbers are eye-popping. And... he seems to be a solid worker, etc. LIKE Hood and Wilkinson. But in the end, they fail to distinguish themselves other than to be a solid starter (at best).

I think we can do better.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Let me get on the record and say that picking Dontari Poe at 24 would be a large mistake on our part. Poe actually reminds me a lot of guys like Ziggy Hood. Ziggy also wowed scouts at the combine (not to the extent Poe did). Adding Poe to our line of Hood and Heyward would, while maybe solid/dependable would be far from dominant.

I actually liken Poe to Big Daddy Wilkinson. Like Big Daddy, his workout numbers are eye-popping. And... he seems to be a solid worker, etc. LIKE Hood and Wilkinson. But in the end, they fail to distinguish themselves other than to be a solid starter (at best).

I think we can do better.
    No one that plays on our DL will ever be "dominant" because the system that leBeau employs won't allow them to do the things they could do. They are forced to play a restrained, disciplined role in the defense that does not allow them to go after QBs or make plays in the backfield. As long as we utilize the 3-4 there won't be a dominant defensive lineman on the team no matter what the talent level.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

No one that plays on our DL will ever be "dominant" because the system that leBeau employs won't allow them to do the things they could do. They are forced to play a restrained, disciplined role in the defense that does not allow them to go after QBs or make plays in the backfield. As long as we utilize the 3-4 there won't be a dominant defensive lineman on the team no matter what the talent level.
    Yes & no Ovi- Aaron Smith was dominant. Casey Hampton was dominant. They made the opposition account for them individually. They don't get the same sort of stats as say a 4-3 DL will get, but those guys put how many stellar Steelers front 7 seasons together?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wow.

DL must have really peed in your cheerios.

Legend

User Info Menu

In the base 3-4, yeah, there aren't as many opportunities for the d-line to make plays as compared to a 4-3 d-line. But as the league continues to morph more-and-more to a passing league, we will be using more-and-more nickle and dime defenses. The responsibilities of our d-line in the nickle and dime defenses are really no different than any other defense. In today's NFL, I'd say that we now spend at least half our time in specialty defenses, so we need d-lineman who will be able to rush the passer on a regular basis, not just eat up blockers all the time.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.