Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Ben calls next Pittsburgh Steelers game 'must win'

Legend

User Info Menu

How about not saying anything after having lost to the Vikings and Raiders - both pathetic efforts against some of the worst teams in the NFL. This doesn't come across as heartfelt or genuine. It's cliche and ridiculous.

Anyone thinking this team is getting to the playoffs is delusional. There's at least 4 more losses coming, maybe 5. Time to start looking at who they want around next season and who they want to dismiss.

Starter

User Info Menu

Yep. A little late to the party, Benny Boy.

Why is out QB so dumb? (Add that to your question list, pete )
    [URL]http://imgcash5.imageshack.us/img356/1595/smuj2.jpg[/URL]
    ~Props to AS, my sig Consigliere~

"Even the strongest man needs friends.... Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."
    ~ Don Lucchesi to Vincent

Starter

User Info Menu

The best thing about the Steelers sucking this year is that I find myself more relaxed and calm when I watch them every week. When they're good is when I'm stressed. Must win? Maybe, but at this point it's all about how you play the game.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    How about not saying anything after having lost to the Vikings and Raiders - both pathetic efforts against some of the worst teams in the NFL. This doesn't come across as heartfelt or genuine. It's cliche and ridiculous.

Anyone thinking this team is getting to the playoffs is delusional. There's at least 4 more losses coming, maybe 5. Time to start looking at who they want around next season and who they want to dismiss.
    Agreed. Halfway into the season and the "must win" ship has already sailed away......thanks to poor play and poor coaching all the way around.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Agreed. Halfway into the season and the "must win" ship has already sailed away......thanks to poor play and poor coaching all the way around.
    might want to also throw in poor FO moves and picks..... high draft picks that are not contributing one iota. and I am not referring to this year's picks.....

Legend

User Info Menu

quoted for truth....

Have to give Arians credit, now.I really feel sorry for Haley.

The owners bring him in to change the offensive philosophy. He has a QB who is in his tenth year, and hasn’t yet learned to throw a ball away, instead of taking a sack. Not only that, but he hasn’t learned to read defenses either.

Often when we are trying to come from behind in the two minute drill, Ben will look at the D for so long, the play clock will be at 0 or 1 by the time we snap the ball. You can’t burn 30 seconds reading defenses in the 2 minute drill. If you do, you get 4 plays off, in two minutes.

If Haley tries to play to Ben’s strengths, he isn’t doing what management brought him in to do. So Haley is stuck trying to install a new offense, with a QB who has shown, he is…how do I say…less than quick to change what he does.

I didn’t care for Arians, and was glad to see him move on. But now I see the logic, in him not trying to change Ben. Arians was wise to let Ben, be Ben, until management retired Arians out of town.

by alfresco on Nov 1, 2013 | 11:04 AM

Haley is setting himself up for even more criticism.When your OL is deficient and your QB likes to extend the plays, there’s no way for your offense to “explode” unless it’s in the negative/destructive sense. As for Arians looking better in retrospect, I disagree. I think it was mainly a case of Ben’s natural inclinations matching up perfectly with the Arians long-ball philosophy.

Bruce and Ben were co-enablers and, for awhile, when the overall talent level was better, this formula worked out pretty well. But apparently none of the Steelers’ OCs has ever had the guts to insist that Ben focus on the finer points of being an NFL quarterback. We’ve seen Ben dabble in throwing the ball out of bounds to avoid sacks a few times but, overall, he still plays exactly the way he has always played. And because Ben hates to tuck the ball and run for yardage, opposing teams don’t need to worry about this aspect at all

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Does Ben even have the option of telling the press "I have no comments this week?" Does that just get him labeled as belligerent and create another distraction?

Legend

User Info Menu

There's no requirement for spewing nonsense. This is on par with Ben continuing to compliment the line when we can all see the putridness (is this a word...) of their play.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There's no requirement for spewing nonsense. This is on par with Ben continuing to compliment the line when we can all see the putridness (is this a word...) of their play.
    Does a good teammate flame his guys to the press? The guys look at the video. They see the deficiencies. Ben doesn't have to call them out to the press. As for the "must-win" thing- he was responding to a question. Would it have been better to say, "this is the Brady-led Patriots, we can afford to lose this one?"