Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: If the Dolphins cut Jonathan Martin, would you consider claiming him on waivers?

Backup

User Info Menu

I would be in favor of giving him a shot. However something just doesn't sit right with me about a grown man crying about being "bullied". Especially when aggression is almost a requirement of his chosen profession.

Rookie

User Info Menu

If any of you were being harassed like Martin was at your place of work, you'd be in HR complaining with a quickness...

And, if your boss allowed it to happen, you'd quit or sue...

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If any of you were being harassed like Martin was at your place of work, you'd be in HR complaining with a quickness...

And, if your boss allowed it to happen, you'd quit or sue...
    HR might not be people's best bet but I hear what your saying.... BUT

If someone said those things to me directly, I'd stand my ground no matter what and I'd have a conversation with the person that said those things. Martin seems like a very emotionally weak individual.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

To me this isn't about bullying. From a non-football standpoint I find that kind of thing ugly to say the least. With that said, these guys are playing a tough man sport. Not to mention a team sport. I would say many players see Martin as violating both of those mentalities...tough and team. I doubt there is anyway most if any of these Steelers players would want Martin in their locker room. Is that fair? No. But, when your team is already struggling with leadership, heart and toughness...adding a guy like Martin won't help.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Coming out, a scout service described Marcus Gilbert as a "chardonnay drinker" (i.e. soft). As we already know, Mike Adams is Charmin soft. If we added John Martin, lordy... we might as well have Robert Mondavi as our O-line coach.
    What if his signing included Gilbert's departure?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    And then there's everyone's "dream" pick for the upcoming draft; Taylor Lewan.

"Lewan is the Jadeveon Clowney of the Big Ten, the pampered superstar who's doing his school a favor by suiting up this season.

Clowney, the South Carolina defensive end, has taken all the heat this season for being a college superstar who's unwilling to play hard while waiting to collect NFL millions. In comparison to Lewan's performance and effort, Clowney looks like the second coming of Lawrence Taylor.

No one talks about offensive linemen because most sports fans cannot properly evaluate their play. Lewan plays my position. He's been embarrassing. The ridiculous and selfish unsportsmanlike conduct penalty he received in Saturday's game is indicative of his play all season. He's resorted to cheap shots and bullying because he failed to adequately prepare to have a dominant senior season.

He's coasting. He turned down NFL millions last April to return for his senior season. You can see the entitlement and arrogance every time he lines up. He's Michigan's captain. He's slumming in Ann Arbor for one more season, and he thinks everyone in maize and blue should be thankful to be in his presence."

[URL]http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9936259/brady-hoke-fix-michigan-wolverines[/URL]
    Not my dream pick. Not even close.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bullying is wrong. But, I must say, we are waaaaaay hypersensitive to it these days. Why is this such a hot button issue these days?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Bullying is wrong. But, I must say, we are waaaaaay hypersensitive to it these days. Why is this such a hot button issue these days?
    It has a lot to do with the school shootings imo. but anyway....

If Jonathan Martin were available to the Steelers I would pick him up. You absolutely know there are two results. He becomes a legitimate starter and no one mentions his name after two years or he caves in to the pressure. Because the bottom line is what was his Achilles heel? the ribbing or what predicated it? Was he a bad off.-lineman or did he not respond well to the prevailing environment? I work in the oil and gas field as a manager and I've dealt with this issue multiple times. Guys in the field don't like pu$$ies or co-workers who can't keep up in the pub, but a strong front by management usually quiets the whole matter until the guy who was mis-represented steps up and shows he belongs. Guys can turn on a dime, I've seen it. Clear expectations and a team goal are instrumental. You never know, he could turn into a good asset.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post

If Jonathan Martin were available to the Steelers I would pick him up. You absolutely know there are two results. He becomes a legitimate starter and no one mentions his name after two years or he caves in to the pressure. Because the bottom line is what was his Achilles heel? the ribbing or what predicated it? Was he a bad off.-lineman or did he not respond well to the prevailing environment? I work in the oil and gas field as a manager and I've dealt with this issue multiple times. Guys in the field don't like pu$$ies or co-workers who can't keep up in the pub, but a strong front by management usually quiets the whole matter until the guy who was mis-represented steps up and shows he belongs. Guys can turn on a dime, I've seen it. Clear expectations and a team goal are instrumental. You never know, he could turn into a good asset.
    Also, I'm not saying his only alternative is to "blend in".. some dudes are just different and that's cool. it takes all kinds. the management body needs to come out and reinterate tolerance. I phucking hate regulations and would rather live in a lawless society but...... I realize that is not going to happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post

I have to agree Thor. Incognito is a real meathead and putting Martin in a different environment could produce different results. As long as he has demonstrated a little talent, I think he deserves a second chance. With that said, are the Steelers a good fit? Well, if we take Martin on, an OT has to go. Obviously it wont be Beachum or Gilbert, who are the current starters. Wont be Whimper, who has played reasonably well lately, despite his name. Trading out one headcase for another with Adams probably wont happen either. Couldn't hurt to throw him into the mix next off-season though, when he finally gets his issues with the Dolphins resolved.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.