Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Steelers don't expect instant 'impact' rookie

Legend

User Info Menu

More than anything, you can read this as a message to each draft pick that they must earn a spot. Like Pouncey, no player will be drafted and handed the starting spot. If he earns it during the summer then fine, but if Jarvis Jones is selected, he must beat out Worilds to start. Patterson would have to beat out Sanders, Rhodes would have to beat out Allen etc.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think that, if they do make an impact, that would be great!

I think that, if you are banking upon them making an impact, you are setting yourself up for disappointment...

You have no reason to be indignant. If you get sucked into coachspeak, that's your issue...
    Not indignant at all. Simply defending my position that Colbert was bluffing when saying he has zero expectations a first year guy will make an impact in year one and needs a year to develop and threw up 4 examples out of the past none years of first year guys having a big impact. The initial comment of mine was simply an observation and didn't need to carry on for as long as it has but it seems some folks want me to say I was wrong when I don't feel I am. Sure, he was bluffing where if they take an offensive player I can guarantee they would expect an offensive player at 17 to have an impact...that's what I said in the first place.
    @_Hellgrammite

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I can guarantee they would expect an offensive player at 17 to have an impact...that's what I said in the first place.
    But, you're not right.

They may expect the player to have an impact, but not necessarily in the first year. There are 5 out of 9 players who did not. Most of the players who made an impact did so because of an unforeseen injury (ie Roethlisberger) and not because of any expectation...others (DeCastro) may have made an impact but didn't, due to an injury...

Colbert doesn't depend upon rookies. That was his point. His mindset heading into the draft is not for a rookie to make an immediate impact. That is for teams that traditionally suck....

Legend

User Info Menu

But, you're not right.

They may expect the player to have an impact, but not necessarily in the first year. There are 5 out of 9 players who did not. Most of the players who made an impact did so because of an unforeseen injury (ie Roethlisberger) and not because of any expectation...others (DeCastro) may have made an impact but didn't, due to an injury...

Colbert doesn't depend upon rookies. That was his point. His mindset heading into the draft is not for a rookie to make an immediate impact. That is for teams that traditionally suck....
    There were plenty of reports from camp that Foster was giving DeCastro a run at G.

Mendenhall also saw the field due to an injury to FWP.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

But, you're not right.

4 of the 5 that did not were defenders and we know how that goes. DeCastro would of started over Foster no matter what you guys want to tell yourself about Foster. So every offensive player we have drafted in the past 9 drafts either did have a big impact, or was on their way to doing so (Mendy and DeCastro hurt). I don't care that it took Tommy Maddox getting his arm snapped to allow Ben to play and go undefeated until the AFCCG. Heath and Holmes both had impacts. If you want to sit there and personally think that Eifert or Austin or Warmack or Lacey wouldn't have in impact year one then good for you but I can damn near guarantee if we have Eifert Haley and Colbert won't be sitting there thinking 'boy, this guy make take a year to develop to contribute'....he's gonna be out there in formation on the first series of the year.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    There were plenty of reports from camp that Foster was giving DeCastro a run at G.

Mendenhall also saw the field due to an injury to FWP.
    DeCastro was gonna start. Don't kid yourself. And Mendenhall would of played regardless of Parker getting injured. I'm done bantering about it.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

4 of the 5 that did not were defenders and we know how that goes. DeCastro would of started over Foster no matter what you guys want to tell yourself about Foster. So every offensive player we have drafted in the past 9 drafts either did have a big impact, or was on their way to doing so (Mendy and DeCastro hurt). I don't care that it took Tommy Maddox getting his arm snapped to allow Ben to play and go undefeated until the AFCCG. Heath and Holmes both had impacts. If you want to sit there and personally think that Eifert or Austin or Warmack or Lacey wouldn't have in impact year one then good for you but I can damn near guarantee if we have Eifert Haley and Colbert won't be sitting there thinking 'boy, this guy make take a year to develop to contribute'....he's gonna be out there in formation on the first series of the year.
    Okay...we've established that rookies can have an impact in their first year. But Colbert doesn't base his top choice solely on trying to fill his biggest immediate hole (i.e. the Oviedo method ). He doesn't want to have to rely on a rookie to perform well right from the start. If they do, then great...like he said, bonus. If they don't, so be it...like he said, some great players took time to become great.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you believe everything Colin Cowherd says, he claims that only 4% of all 1st rd selections have made an immediate impact in season 1. This would support exactly what Colbert is saying. He also claims this means a team should draft to fill needs, not to take BPA (I happen to disagree with that point).

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If you believe everything Colin Cowherd says, he claims that only 4% of all 1st rd selections have made an immediate impact in season 1. This would support exactly what Colbert is saying. He also claims this means a team should draft to fill needs, not to take BPA (I happen to disagree with that point).
    Colin Coward...must be smoking crack....

Andrew Luck - no need to explain
    RG3 - no need explain
    Trent Richardson - 950 yds 11 TD
    Matt Kalil - day one starter
    Blackmon - 865 yds 5 TD
    Claiborne - day one starter 55 tackles 1 INT 1 FF
    Barron - day one starter 88 tackles 1 INT 1 FF
    Tannehill - day one starter
    Keuchly - 164 tackles 2 INT
    Gilmore - day one starter 61 tackles 3 FF 1 INT
    Poe - named team rookie of the year
    Cox - day one starter 39 tackles 5.5 sacks - injury caused missed time
    Floyd - 45 catches 562 yds 2 TD worst QB's in NFL
    Brockers - 31 tackles 4 sacks
    Irvin - 8 sacks
    Coples - day one starter 30 tackles 6 sacks leading Jets missed time to injury
    Kirkpatrick - non factor
    Ingram - 41 tackles
    McClellan - non factor
    Wright - 626 YDS 4 TD 2nd on team in yds first for TD
    Jones - 45 tackles 6 sacks 3 FF
    Weeden - day 1 starter
    Reiff - started 8 games
    DeCastro - would of started
    Hightower - 60 tackles 4 sacks
    Mercilus - 25 tackles 6 sacks 2 FF
    Zietler - day one starter 6th ranked OG in NFL
    Perry - non factor
    Smith - 104 tackles 3 INT Stud
    Jenkins - non factor
    Martin 1454 YDS 11 TD Stud
    Wilson - non factor
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

DeCastro was gonna start. Don't kid yourself. And Mendenhall would of played regardless of Parker getting injured. I'm done bantering about it.
    Sorry... but that is speculation... and Mendenhall playing doesnt mean he would have an impact.