Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My updated Steelers mock Draft!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My updated Steelers mock Draft!!

What one player at 17 could start from day one? What one player at 17 could play at a high level in his rookie year? And possibly even be a pro-bowler? I think that is Jonathan Cooper. It's not a sexy pick but he is that one guy who would be at or around the 17th pick who could come in and start day one as well as play at an above average level. I am not crazy about drafting another guard but it makes the most sense. And the Steelers have indicated they want a LG guard who is athletic and can get out and pull. Cooper is every bit that. And the Steelers did meet with him at the combine. This isnt what I want, but I think it is what the Steelers may do.

1--Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina

2--Sio Moore OLB UCONN

3--Darius Slay CB Mississippi State

4--Kenny Stills WR OKlahoma

5--Earl Wolff SS North Carolina State

6--Josh Boyd NT Mississippi State

7--Vince Williams ILB Florida State
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I think our first pick will be a pass rusher or an o-lineman, because those are the strong positions at the top of the draft (Jones/Moore/Ansah/Jordan/Werner/Mingo & Joeckel/Fisher/Johnson/Warmack/Cooper, respectively), so I think one of these guys will be a best-player-available pick. Safeties, wideout, running backs, etc. will be in greater abundance in later rounds.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Cooper....no thank you.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think our first pick will be a pass rusher or an o-lineman, because those are the strong positions at the top of the draft (Jones/Moore/Ansah/Jordan/Werner/Mingo & Joeckel/Fisher/Johnson/Warmack/Cooper, respectively), so I think one of these guys will be a best-player-available pick. Safeties, wideout, running backs, etc. will be in greater abundance in later rounds.
    agreed...and then you ask yourself of the positions OL/Pass Rusher who could give the best value in round two? And that helps with your pick in the first round. Sio Moore is going to be special. He can play inside or outside. Has shown pass rush ability as well as the skill to cover. He is fast, short, strong, and plays with a nasty chip on his shoulder. Reminds me of someone currently on the Steelers roster.

And also if the Steelers sign Breaston WR may no longer even be in their plans.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Cooper....no thank you.
    Why? If he is BPA on the board, can play from day one, and at a high level, why not?

Explain.

Adding him helps the run game, regardless of who the RB is.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post

And also if the Steelers sign Breaston WR may no longer even be in their plans.
    I agree...Breaston may impact things. If they sign Breaston and Patterson is there at #17.....He has to be at the top of the board at that point. Might be hard to pass up. Still be your returner & #4 on gameday. He will get alot of touches on offense too even with Breaston. I might go as far as saying if he can grasp the playbook he might shoot up the depth chart to #2 before years end and take over X in 2014.

That being said, Patterson will more than likely be gone and I don't like anyone else at WR @ #17. With Breaston on the roster, you could target a WR outside the Top 2 rounds. Since it is a deep class, you could get a 2nd-3rd round talent in the 4-5 range.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why? If he is BPA on the board, can play from day one, and at a high level, why not?

Explain.

Adding him helps the run game, regardless of who the RB is.
    Cooper seems like a prototyical zone blocking guard who would mesh quite well with Pouncey and DeCastro...all would fit in well with our new OL coach's scheme (as should Mike Adams, although Gilbert doesn't fit in that system quite as well).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dub, I like Cooper as a player and certainly think he could end up as the BPA. My concern is with eventually extending Cooper, Pouncey and DeCastro -- that could be a lot of money in interior lineman. I wouldn't love the pick, wouldn't hate it, and would certainly understand it.

The biggest question I have with you mock is on skill players -- I think they need to add a RB in the draft, and I would like to see either a WR or RB earlier. Did you have the CB in your draft with an assumption that Lewis leaves?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Cooper seems like a prototyical zone blocking guard who would mesh quite well with Pouncey and DeCastro...all would fit in well with our new OL coach's scheme (as should Mike Adams, although Gilbert doesn't fit in that system quite as well).
    Yep...and with Gilbert-Cooper-Pouncey-DeCastro-Adams that would give the Steelers one of the best O-lines in the league and probably the best LG-C-RG unit there is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What one player at 17 could start from day one? What one player at 17 could play at a high level in his rookie year? And possibly even be a pro-bowler? I think that is Jonathan Cooper. It's not a sexy pick but he is that one guy who would be at or around the 17th pick who could come in and start day one as well as play at an above average level. I am not crazy about drafting another guard but it makes the most sense. And the Steelers have indicated they want a LG guard who is athletic and can get out and pull. Cooper is every bit that. And the Steelers did meet with him at the combine. This isnt what I want, but I think it is what the Steelers may do.

1--Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina

2--Sio Moore OLB UCONN

3--Darius Slay CB Mississippi State

4--Kenny Stills WR OKlahoma

5--Earl Wolff SS North Carolina State

6--Josh Boyd NT Mississippi State

7--Vince Williams ILB Florida State
    Looks like a reasonable draft, but I would have to have a RB in that group. As much as I like O-line my mock doesn't even have one but I like both Warmack & Cooper. I like your first three picks Btw.