Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Jarvis Jones is a turtle

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Unless with the addition of another premium TE, the Steelers run 2 TE sets using them as actual receivers...

What would you rather have at that point?

Brown, Sanders, Eifert and Miller?

or

Brown, Sanders, Cotchery and Miller?

Brown,Sanders Miller and Eifert all day! Eifert is a catching machine and won't disappoint if we draft him. I would say Eifert might be the BPA when we pick as he is the best TE in this draft, could we say the same about other positions?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Play-makers please. Wides, running backs, corners, etc.
    How is this not a play-maker?

85 tackles-24.5 tackles for loss-14.5 sacks-7 forced fumbles-1 INT

Some of you guys crack me up. I see guys like Dion Jordan racing up the draft board or a guy like Barkevious Mingo high on the board yet neither one really made a whole lot of plays on the field. I guess because they are fast and athletic they are great? Wow.....
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    you're talking taking a day-1 starter who goes to the bench in week 6 behind Heath... I'm talking, taking a guy who may not start day one, but, by week 6 could be the next in a long line of great OLBs...I like my call better.... but, whatever makes you happy... in the end, neither of us get to make the call ...

besides, this isn't an 8-8 team... lots of injuries.
    Where do you see that? I'm taking Patterson...Since February. Patterson sees the field in 3 wide sets and is your KR/PR. He also could knock Sanders back at some point in the season. Patterson is your future X. I assume you are talking about Eifert. I will address that too. Miller may start on the PUP so he could miss extensive time. Eifert won't see the bench when Miller returns. For the amount or two TEs Haley runs...Miller & Eifert will be on the field alot. I would be "OK" with Eifert at #17 but I think you could trade back & pick up more value with him by adding a 3rd and getting Eifert.

Jones by week 6 will still be a ST player. He may never be the "next great OLB"...He also may. History has shown us that DL 3-4 OLBs are projects. Jone's is no different. Jones's workout turned his tape from "impressive resume" to "body of work". When you are a healthy scratch at the combine & you have the proday Jones did...It creates many questions & provides zero answers. They are already talking about projecting him to SAM (Where he played at USC) in a 4-3 or a DE in a 4-3 even with his size limitation. Jones put up OL shuttle & cone times with high 1.6 splits. He didn't look good in OLB position workouts. I went back to the tape and you could see some speed lag now looking for it. You could see him struggle to come down the line backside even unblocked. You could see pursuit struggles. We already knew he struggled getting off blocks and defending the run. He is still a good football player but where would he be best. Covered up strongside as a SAM in a 4-3? Weakside 4-3 End? He is very productive standing up blitzing and working off of twist stunts. Better than coming off the edge rushing IMO as an OLB. He gets redirected by OT and stoned by fullbacks. I dove in heavy after his proday workout. There can be an argument made he isn't the best defender in that front 7. No argument can be made that he wasn't surrounded by some NFL caliber talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones falling to well below Lions' spot in NFL draft

By Chris McCosky
    The Detroit News
    April 3, 2013

Mel Kiper on Jarvis Jones: "It's going to take a bold team that doesn't care about perception or justifying that 40 time." (John Bazemore / Associated Press)

Allen Park — Not too long ago, before the combine, ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper and others had Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones at the top of their big boards.

These days, Jones hovers at 13 and seems to be sliding.

"Hardest player to evaluate in terms of trying to project where he's going to go and even figure out what kind of pro he's going to be," Kiper said Wednesday in a teleconference.

The assessment by NFL.com's Gil Brandt was even harsher. Brandt is questioning whether Jones deserves a first-round grade.

"I just see him as a one-position player," Brandt told NFL.com. "I see him as a guy that's going to play with his hand on the ground and he's going to try hard, and he's going to come close to making sacks, but he's not going to have 14.5 (sacks) like he did at Georgia."

The Lions at one time were considered a prime candidate to select Jones with the No. 5 pick.

Jones did not work out at the combine. He subjected himself to a full day's worth of medical testing — he had been diagnosed with stenosis — and he reportedly came out of it with a clean bill of health.

But his stock plummeted after an awful pro day where he struggled in the agility tests and ran the 40-yard dash in 4.83 and 4.9.

"His workout didn't shock me, but it surprised me," Kiper said. "I thought he'd run 4.7. He ran 4.8, 4.9. The conditions weren't favorable. But (Ravens linebacker) Terrell Suggs ran 4.8, 4.9 in that range and I remember everybody questioning him — 'He's not explosive enough, he'll get blocked.' He's had a great career and the Ravens took him with the 10th overall pick."

Kiper doesn't see Jones falling out of the first round. He said he could see him going No. 15 to New Orleans or No. 17 to Pittsburgh.

"It's going to take a bold team that doesn't care about perception or justifying that 40 time," he said. "If he gets past 17, then you get to the point where you really start falling. Bottom line — top-10 ability, top-10 player, subpar workout and a below-average 40, but still mid-first round when it's all said and done."

[URL]http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130403/SPORTS0101/304030431#ixzz2PRfG3tVp[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

@Hawaiian

changed your mock I see. Any reason you took out Jones?
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    @Hawaiian

changed your mock I see. Any reason you took out Jones?
    I was watching the NFLN special on "Path to the Draft" and Gil Brandt (whose opinion I respect very much) stated that he has dropped Jarvis Jones completely out of the first round.

as a result I changed my sig mock to Cordarrelle Patterson who I believe will be a much more complete WR than Mike Wallace ever was.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I love Patterson but I think he is gone by the time we draft.

Kiper is an azzz... I swear that dude gets bribed by agents to trash guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I love Patterson but I think he is gone by the time we draft.
    I agree on Patterson but I can always dream, can I? worked last year for David DeCastro!

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I was watching the NFLN special on "Path to the Draft" and Gil Brandt (whose opinion I respect very much) stated that he has dropped Jarvis Jones completely out of the first round.

as a result I changed my sig mock to Cordarrelle Patterson who I believe will be a much more complete WR than Mike Wallace ever was.
    I would be happy with Patterson and it wouldn't be hard to be a "much more complete" WR than the recently departed "one trick pony." I also think Patterson would be much better than Wallace.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like patterson, but he has warts too. I think grasping an NFL playbook could be an issue for him, but has all the tools to be a real #1 which we don't have currently on the roster.

he would contribute immediately in the return game.