Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Pouncey disliked so much?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    As it turns out, the Rangers are good. That's hockey: Who gets hot at the right time has a shot. LA is good too. Beating Hawks was no easy matter. Chicago is a very tough team. Pens are not as good as any of them, at least not now.
    Pens are just as good as the rest of these teams... they were killing the Rangers but like we always see with Pittsburgh Sports teams... they simply don't know how to close.

The Pens are frustrating because they always have big leads or look unstoppable and then they turn into a different team.

My biggest frustration is the lack of urgency by its star players. Too much finess and fancy passes instead of taking shots on goal and they always give up a shorthanded goal.

Fluery is also night and day... one day he is unstoppable, next day he cant stop anything.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Pens are just as good as the rest of these teams... they were killing the Rangers but like we always see with Pittsburgh Sports teams... they simply don't know how to close.

The Pens are frustrating because they always have big leads or look unstoppable and then they turn into a different team.

My biggest frustration is the lack of urgency by its star players. Too much finess and fancy passes instead of taking shots on goal and they always give up a shorthanded goal.

Fluery is also night and day... one day he is unstoppable, next day he cant stop anything.
    It depends on what your definition of "as good" is. Do they have the physical talent to be as good? Yes. Does the above things you mention make them not as good? In my opinion, it matters, making them not as good. I can't stand how Fluery gets soft in the play offs, allows the softest of goals. The team is far too country club. The stars seem far too pampered. I am so sick of them being FAIL in the post season after looking like the league's best team in the regular season.

Legend

User Info Menu

It depends on what your definition of "as good" is. Do they have the physical talent to be as good? Yes. Does the above things you mention make them not as good? In my opinion, it matters, making them not as good. I can't stand how Fluery gets soft in the play offs, allows the softest of goals. The team is far too country club. The stars seem far too pampered. I am so sick of them being FAIL in the post season after looking like the league's best team in the regular season.
    Don't watch, you do have that option as a fan, maybe then the FO will make the changes that you would like to see, if viewership falls.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

You can't blame Fleury for losing to the Rangers. Fleury was one of our better players against the Rangers. It's just that Lundqvist stood on his head to close out the series. It was our offensive players who let us down in those final 3 losses, just like it was the offense who let us down in the sweep against Boston the year before.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    You can't blame Fleury for losing to the Rangers. Fleury was one of our better players against the Rangers. It's just that Lundqvist stood on his head to close out the series. It was our offensive players who let us down in those final 3 losses, just like it was the offense who let us down in the sweep against Boston the year before.
    Maybe not in this series, but there have been plenty of lost games in the play offs when Fluery turned into the Stay Puff Marshmellow man. Whether we are talking Crosby, Malkin or Fluery, the common thing is they get soft in the post season. But at least they fired their coach today.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe not in this series, but there have been plenty of lost games in the play offs when Fluery turned into the Stay Puff Marshmellow man. Whether we are talking Crosby, Malkin or Fluery, the common thing is they get soft in the post season. But at least they fired their coach today.
    Too late to get Barry Trotz, though, who I thought would have been the perfect guy for that job. Instead, he's off to the hated Capitals.

Anyway...back to talking about Maurkice Pouncey...sorry for that temporary thread hijack, folks.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    ehhh not sure about that. That game tying goal in the 5-4 OT loss was horrible.

Backup

User Info Menu

To answer the question originally posed, I think Pouncey is overrated. He ranked as ProFootballFocus' 12th best center in 2012, the last year he played. He is going to command, and receive, premium money without being a premium player. His monster rookie year put him in the highly unusual situation of being a young veteran who is already coasting on reputation. Pro Bowls aren't about being the best player, especially on the lines, where the average fan doesn't really understand what he's looking for to be able to say who is doing their job.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    ehhh not sure about that. That game tying goal in the 5-4 OT loss was horrible.
    True dat. Thanks for reminding me. I am disappointed in Mario. He let all this stay status quo when he should have known changes were needed. But he didn't. I wonder how many trophies this will cost.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    To answer the question originally posed, I think Pouncey is overrated. He ranked as ProFootballFocus' 12th best center in 2012, the last year he played. He is going to command, and receive, premium money without being a premium player. His monster rookie year put him in the highly unusual situation of being a young veteran who is already coasting on reputation. Pro Bowls aren't about being the best player, especially on the lines, where the average fan doesn't really understand what he's looking for to be able to say who is doing their job.
    You really need to stop hijacking threads.
    Can we get back to the Pens?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher