Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben and the HOF

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'll stop you right there and say that guys like Charley Casserly and Bill Polian disagree and they aren't exactly Steeler homers.
    is it genuine though? When Polian says Ben's performance in the Vikings game was one of the best he's ever seen it sounded like he is trying to go against the grain and get noticed

and it worked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Sometimes I think the talking heads in the league are behind the times most of the time. They've now heard/seen for several years how Ben makes plays and then they see some highlights in the recent weeks that look good and give him the benefit of the doubt based on reputation. Then they see or hear about how bad the OLine is and look at Ben losing Wally and Heath not being 100% and not having a running game and that adds to what they see Ben do on successful plays. Of course, there's times he looks like a magician. He probably still has one of the best highlight reels in the league this year with all the amazing plays he makes.

But I doubt these guys are watching every snap like we are. And they aren't seeing all the throws he misses. Or the plays he isn't making. etc.

I like Ben and all, but I do think if his play continues, he'll have a new reputation in 3 years and the talking heads will be saying the complete opposite once they start to figure it out.
    I know Montana had an amazing SB run but he didn't go out in a blazing glory...

I think Ben gets in because his rookie season was one for the ages... and he has a bunch of stats that are incredible when you put them on paper. As soon as they start listing off his accomplishments the talking heads are going to have a hard time defending why he didn't get in. Ben is now on a team that shed tons of talent over the last few years and the voters recognize that... they also don't give a darn about a rape allegation. These dudes know how women get down for a paycheck or a baby...

Irvin had no problem getting in even though he had coke problems.. these players understand temptation and self medication to get through those long days once their careers are over.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steve Young- 232 TD's 107 INT's 33,124 YDS. 96.8 RTG 1 SB RING(as a starter)
    Ben Roethlisberger- 199 TD's 119 INT's 31,774 YDS 92.3 RTG 2 SB RINGS
    Jim Kelly-237 TD's 175 INT's 35,467 YDS. 84.4 RTG 0 SB RINGS

Just a little comparison, but i think Ben will/should get there one day.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Steve Young- 232 TD's 107 INT's 33,124 YDS. 96.8 RTG 1 SB RING(as a starter)
    Ben Roethlisberger- 199 TD's 119 INT's 31,774 YDS 92.3 RTG 2 SB RINGS
    Jim Kelly-237 TD's 175 INT's 35,467 YDS. 84.4 RTG 0 SB RINGS

Just a little comparison, but i think Ben will/should get there one day.
    I think the voters might be looking at Ben relative to Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, etc when the time comes.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sometimes I think the talking heads in the league are behind the times most of the time. They've now heard/seen for several years how Ben makes plays and then they see some highlights in the recent weeks that look good and give him the benefit of the doubt based on reputation. Then they see or hear about how bad the OLine is and look at Ben losing Wally and Heath not being 100% and not having a running game and that adds to what they see Ben do on successful plays. Of course, there's times he looks like a magician. He probably still has one of the best highlight reels in the league this year with all the amazing plays he makes.

But I doubt these guys are watching every snap like we are. And they aren't seeing all the throws he misses. Or the plays he isn't making. etc.

I like Ben and all, but I do think if his play continues, he'll have a new reputation in 3 years and the talking heads will be saying the complete opposite once they start to figure it out.
    These are the same type of people who will be doing the HOF voting. Whether they watch every snap or not is not relevant to getting an HOF nod.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    is it genuine though? When Polian says Ben's performance in the Vikings game was one of the best he's ever seen it sounded like he is trying to go against the grain and get noticed

and it worked.
    I don't know why you'd think that. These guys both have reputations for understanding NFL talent. If they wanted to be noticed, they could have said a whole lot more incredible things.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the voters might be looking at Ben relative to Brady, Brees, Manning, Rodgers, etc when the time comes.
    They will. A lot of his numbers will pale in comparison, but he will have the rings.

It will be interesting, to say the least.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I don't know why you'd think that. These guys both have reputations for understanding NFL talent. If they wanted to be noticed, they could have said a whole lot more incredible things.
    I didnt say it was the most incredible quote ever... I just doubt it was genuine.

Do you believe him? Do you honestly believe Bens performance vs a winless Viking team was one of the best performances a football guru has ever seen?

I think it was hype for NFL in the UK
    Last edited by feltdizz; 10-30-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I just doubt it was genuine.
    OK, but why?

Starter

User Info Menu

It pains me to say this, but Ben is NOT a HOF QB. Hes just not. He does not have the credentials to be in the HOF. A couple of Super Bowls means nothing. TBH Ben played awful in 2 out of the 3 Super Bowls. He has never been a Super Bowl MVP. He has never been a League MVP. He has never been All Pro, or even second team All Pro. He has only been to two Pro Bowls(that I can remember, correct me if Im wrong). His stats are no where near the level of other QBs that have played during his era. Plus keep in mind, sports writers in general do not like Ben. I think his past works against him. On top of that there is a large contingent of people that have never respected Bens style of play. I just dont see how he gets in.

The Super Bowl argument dosent hold any weight.

Brady has been to 5 and won 3
    Manning has been to 2 won 1
    Brees has 1 win
    Eli has 2 wins and played outstanding in both games.
    Rodgers has 1 and grossly outplayed Ben to get it.
    Even Joe Flacco has 1

Now if Ben had won all 3, or if he had an MVP trophy from one of those games, that may make a difference. But thats not the case. Ben needs to do more to cement his spot in Canton. There is still time to do it. How Ben finishes his career will tell the tale.