Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bill Cowher weighs in on Ben (and other things):

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000208145/article/big-ben-to-benefit-from-todd-haley-bill-cowher-says[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    is there another veteran QB out there that doesnt want any of his input included in a new offense. or being able to use the same terminology as they had for years?

easy to see why the offense struggled at times last year
    I've never had a problem calling Ben out...

but after 10 years and 3 SB appearances one has to wonder why people are angry over Ben being butt hurt over losing his OC. It's not like we lost Arians in traditional fashion. We pretty much hugged the guy, asked Ben to take a photo with him and then stabbed him in the back once Ben left the room.

Not sure why Ben is being called out for feeling some type of way after losing a guy he had a ton of success with.. it wasn't always pretty but it sure seemed to work more times than not.

I think Ben has been very professional given the way the FO has operated the last few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Last year the offense was in a dysfunctional situation. New OC, weird exit for the previous OC, number one receiver holding out, supposedly upset QB - which I think was overplayed, but it became a lingering saga throughout the season.

This year the OC knows the personnel better, both in terms of skill and personality. There will be no star receiver entering midway through the implementation of a new offense, feelings don't seem to be as fragile this time around, no BA situation lingering like a dark cloud.

We always like to say things like "for the money these guys make they should just shut up and play the game" but that isn't always reality. Real life and the human element often get in the way. When NYC was ripped apart last year, the Steelers went in and beat up the Giants, and they pretty much fell apart afterwards. I was shocked at how barely anyone mentioned how difficult it must be for a team of players living in a city that was going through so much turmoil - no electricity, flooded houses and apartments, constant state of emergency - can not be realistically expected to overcome such obstacles. They were mentioned like any other team that got off to a good start and fizzled out. But I digress.........

I expect the offense to be more in sync than last season. One more year of experience for a good offensive mind to better scheme, one more year of familiarity, and fewer ongoing distractions are the unseen reason. Everyone looks at players moving in and out, but this should be as big, if not bigger, a factor.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    When NYC was ripped apart last year, the Steelers went in and beat up the Giants, and they pretty much fell apart afterwards. I was shocked at how barely anyone mentioned how difficult it must be for a team of players living in a city that was going through so much turmoil - no electricity, flooded houses and apartments, constant state of emergency - can not be realistically expected to overcome such obstacles.
    Funny, because that's all I heard leading up to the game, during the game and immediately afterward...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Funny, because that's all I heard leading up to the game, during the game and immediately afterward...
    yep... it was definitely front page news on ESPN and the NFLN... there were talks about postponing the game if I remember correctly and I think we pretty much hopped off a plane and played the same day since we didn't want to disrupt families staying in hotels.

Legend

User Info Menu

sounds like Haley quit being a moron about the offense and added something downfield...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Agreed that it was a huge story up until immediately afterwards......and then they finished the season. They were 6-2 coming into the game and then all anyone talked about was the effects of the storm. Within a few weeks, the city was still battered and the team was reeling. By week 17 they were just a team who started off strong and had lost 5 out of 7 going into week 17. They were no longer the group of people who have lived through this hardship for the past few months.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Agreed that it was a huge story up until immediately afterwards......and then they finished the season. They were 6-2 coming into the game and then all anyone talked about was the effects of the storm. Within a few weeks, the city was still battered and the team was reeling. By week 17 they were just a team who started off strong and had lost 5 out of 7 going into week 17. They were no longer the group of people who have lived through this hardship for the past few months.
    NYG's were never a 15-1 type of team. They were always one game from missing the playoffs when they won their SB's.

At the end of the day.. these are football players who have access to great facilities. I don't think it was the main reason they fell off.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    sounds like Haley quit being a moron about the offense and added something downfield...
    Bingo.....!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    There was "something downfield" last year. Wallace drops.

How stupid would it be to center your offense around a guy who doesnt come to camp and is saving himself for free agency?

Ben threw 26 TDs last year, an number he has bested ONCE in his career and MISSED THREE GAMES.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher