Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 Things about the draft you probably don't know

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

10 Things about the draft you probably don't know

To keep in mind as you are doing your mock sigs.

1) Jarvis Jones will ABSOLUTELY be a top 12 pick.
    2) Gavin Escobar will be a top 40 pick and go before Ertz.
    3) Eddie Lacy will be a first round RB
    4) Ziggy Ansah will be a top 8 pick
    5) Jake Stoneburner will not make it out of the 5th round.
    6) The Sinkfield kid ran all his times in the 4.33 range and should go undrafted, he is not a good FB player.
    7) Johnathan Cooper or Chance Warmack will be available at 1/17.
    There will be plenty of NT's available for the Steelers 2nd round pick.
    9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there)
    10) Travis Kelce will not be on the Steelers draft board.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    To keep in mind as you are doing your mock sigs.

1) Jarvis Jones will ABSOLUTELY be a top 12 pick.
    2) Gavin Escobar will be a top 40 pick and go before Ertz.
    3) Eddie Lacy will be a first round RB
    4) Ziggy Ansah will be a top 8 pick
    5) Jake Stoneburner will not make it out of the 5th round.
    6) The Sinkfield kid ran all his times in the 4.33 range and should go undrafted, he is not a good FB player.
    7) Johnathan Cooper or Chance Warmack will be available at 1/17.
    There will be plenty of NT's available for the Steelers 2nd round pick.
    9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there)
    10) Travis Kelce will not be on the Steelers draft board.
    1) Jarvis Jones will ABSOLUTELY be a top 12 pick. Ok I see no reason why not.
    2) Gavin Escobar will be a top 40 pick and go before Ertz. That is a bold statement! I disagree. Teams want a "big wr" type TE now. Blockers go later.
    3) Eddie Lacy will be a first round RB I am sure someone will take the chance toward the end of the 1st round on a RB.
    4) Ziggy Ansah will be a top 8 pick Again someone will gamble on him.
    5) Jake Stoneburner will not make it out of the 5th round. Again this could be very true. Teams want good play making TE's
    6) The Sinkfield kid ran all his times in the 4.33 range and should go undrafted, he is not a good FB player. But can the kid be coached? Become a good FB player?
    7) Johnathan Cooper or Chance Warmack will be available at 1/17. Good if one of them is BPA for the Steelers pull the trigger.
    There will be plenty of NT's available for the Steelers 2nd round pick. I am on the fence with the NT pick. I think BPA is for 2nd Rd also.
    9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there) I agree and hope so
    10) Travis Kelce will not be on the Steelers draft board.[/QUOTE] Why? Have read some good stuff about him. Figure it is off the field stuff?
    Last edited by SS Laser; 03-10-2013 at 06:46 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

hey keylargo... you probably didn't know they weren't gonna make 17 trades... keep this in mind as you do your mock sig...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Speaking of trades. Will there be a bunch in the top 20 like last year I wonder?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    hey keylargo... you probably didn't know they weren't gonna make 17 trades... keep this in mind as you do your mock sig...
    True!!! It's only 2 trades though......a fellow can dream.....the only thing i admire about Belicheck

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Steelers draft pick is Jonathan Hankins if he is available at 1.17 and there are no pass-rusher available.

Dick Lebeau was there on his pro-day and Steelers like tOSU players. It seems Steelers don't value Steve McClendon much. This pick will change if Steve is signed long term.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    I think Steelers draft pick is Jonathan Hankins if he is available at 1.17 and there are no pass-rusher available.

Dick Lebeau was there on his pro-day and Steelers like tOSU players. It seems Steelers don't value Steve McClendon much. This pick will change if Steve is signed long term.
    Would love this....

Rd 2: Tavon Austin - WR
    Rd 3: Jamie Collins - OLB
    Rd 4: Shamarko Thomas - S
    Rd 5: Christine Michael - RB

but not the other picks.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is the first year in quite a few that the draft seems so vital. The draft is always important, but the Steelers were drafting late and basically were a good team that had some limited roles to fill. This year, the team is coming off a poor year where health was a major issue. If the team were able to keep more or less the same players but just get healthy we would be in a pretty good spot. However, it looks like due to player losses there are needs in so very many areas.

The Steelers have a top starting QB, a good OL and D-backs. And that's about it. The LB corps and front three are lacking. The WR corps is OK, but doesn't seem to have a guy that can find the EZ. Heath is not expected to play early in the year and his backup is a backup at best. The FO has already weighed in on their opinion of the RB group.

It's nice to be able to draft for depth and eventual starter. This year it doesn't appear that the Steelers have that luxury.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

My opinions on your opinions:

1) Jarvis Jones will ABSOLUTELY be a top 12 pick. *Very well could be. Also could fall to end of 1st round. I will wait to make that call.

2) Gavin Escobar will be a top 40 pick and go before Ertz. *I have been high on Escobar for a long time. Don't think he is a Top 40 pick....Think he is in the 50-75 range right now. May have more upside than any TE in this draft but will not be counting on early to block inline...Needs to improve on that tremendously at the next level. Because of that, may be higher on other teams boards that split out TEs more. Ertz will come off the board before him.

3) Eddie Lacy will be a first round RB *I think Lacy could have been a 1st round RB lock. Skipping combine workouts & not working out a the scheduled proday may keep him out of the 1st. One of the concerns on him was the little injuries that seem to have nagged him thoughout his career. He still may sneak into the 1st but I think he is an early 2nd. The one thing that levels his stock is the fact that true feshman Yeldon also was a 1,000 back in that offense as his back up. System Symtom? I think he has great value in the 2nd round...Possible overdraft in round 1.

4) Ziggy Ansah will be a top 8 pick *Agree. Ansah has become one of those players who looks too good with his hand in the dirt for a 4-3 team to pass on him.

5) Jake Stoneburner will not make it out of the 5th round. * I think I am with you on this one. Very underutilized at OSU. If he was at say PSU, I think he could have doubled his 2012 production. I think the 5th may be the latest he comes off the board. Again, another TE who will have to work on his inline blocking at the next level but a team that uses the TE in the H-Back or splits them out will have him higher on their board.

6) The Sinkfield kid ran all his times in the 4.33 range and should go undrafted, he is not a good FB player. *I posted his 2 40 runs on here and that is where I times him out. You can argue his second may have hit high 4.2's but you would have to be on the field to make that argument. I do believe he is an UDFA or 7th rounder...That time doesn't make him a signficant "draftable" grade. His QB play impacted his production but Level of competition keeps him down. He showed WR skills on his limited tape...I don't think you can say not a good football player from that. Many questions and raw with no college development. Give him a coach and see what happens. A PS player for a year or two.

7) Johnathan Cooper or Chance Warmack will be available at 1/17. *Could be...Both could be gone too. Very talented kids. I think they will be two that fall to the "BPA" for teams who missed on their guy & can't move. Steelers could be one of those teams.

8.) There will be plenty of NT's available for the Steelers 2nd round pick. *There could be. Seem to be some 3-4 NTs scattered about. I don't think the Steelers are concerned with NT as much as everyone else thinks. Time will tell.

9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there) *Disagree. Patterson is the #1 WR. Upside to be a game changing X. The only thing standing in the way of him not being slated as a Top 10 is his question. Why JR college? I think EVERYTHING hinges on his inteviews & how he tests in the classroom. Problem for us fans...We may never know how that went down. If he falls in the 1st...We know. He stood out in the SEC in his first year on campus with other gifted players around him. Ability to create on his own with the ball in his hands. Raw but coachable Raw. ST value. As far as Steelers, if he test good he will be a consideration if there. Only thing I see having any type of impact on that fact if he tests well- is if the Steelers sign Breaston or a FA WR. Then they may adress in the 2-5 range in the draft....Nice depth in the draft.

10) Travis Kelce will not be on the Steelers draft board. * I can't agree or disagree because I don't know the extent of the "Team rules" he violated. The Steelers will do their due diligence. If interested, he will be interviewed & they will make their own conclusion.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KeLargo
    ......a fellow can dream.....the only thing i admire about Belicheck
    But, that's the point... I think that's why you see Jarvis in so many mocks... I've seen a few "expert" mocks that say "dumb groupthink on his injury will cause Jarvis to fall"... stranger things have happened

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    9) Zero chance the Steelers draft a WR in round 1. (Even if Patterson is there) *Disagree. Patterson is the #1 WR. Upside to be a game changing X. The only thing standing in the way of him not being slated as a Top 10 is his question. Why JR college? I think EVERYTHING hinges on his inteviews & how he tests in the classroom. Problem for us fans...We may never know how that went down. If he falls in the 1st...We know. He stood out in the SEC in his first year on campus with other gifted players around him. Ability to create on his own with the ball in his hands. Raw but coachable Raw. ST value. As far as Steelers, if he test good he will be a consideration if there. Only thing I see having any type of impact on that fact if he tests well- is if the Steelers sign Breaston or a FA WR. Then they may adress in the 2-5 range in the draft....Nice depth in the draft.
    Funny, that was one of the things i totally agreed with him on. Considering the dink and dunk offense the team has gone to, I think a is very little chance. Look at how little used Wallace was in this offense... taking a guy for THAT role/production would be be so far down on the list of needs... especially when there are always servicable (and cheap) dink-and-dunk WRs available (see: Jericho Cotchery).

Basically, they need OLB, ILB, NT, RB, OG, WR, in that order... it's possible, but, i give a 5% chance. I'd say we're looking at 75% chance that it'll be LB or NT...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville