Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Michigan St RB Le'Veon Bell

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There is no evidence a back of Bell's size would be a disadvantage, take Steven Jackson for example. He's 6'2 weighs 240 lbs and is having a great pro career. Most backs are in the 5'10 to 6 ft. range but it doesn't mean a taller back can't have success like Steven Jackson demonstrated.

He has all the tools to be a good NFL back thats what you look for when evaluating a prospect, plus the production he had on the field. Yeah, he will face faster, bigger, players in the NFL but you could say the same with any prospect coming out of college.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    There is no evidence a back of Bell's size would be a disadvantage, take Steven Jackson for example. He's 6'2 weighs 240 lbs and is having a great pro career. Most backs are in the 5'10 to 6 ft. range but it doesn't mean a taller back can't have success like Steven Jackson demonstrated.

He has all the tools to be a good NFL back thats what you look for when evaluating a prospect, plus the production he had on the field. Yeah, he will face faster, bigger, players in the NFL but you could say the same with any prospect coming out of college.
    In addition he will not have to be a lead RB since that notion in the NFL is going the way of the dinosaur. He'd unlikely ever carry the ball as much as Jackson has in his career because he was the only offense the Rams had many years.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    In addition he will not have to be a lead RB since that notion in the NFL is going the way of the dinosaur. He'd unlikely ever carry the ball as much as Jackson has in his career because he was the only offense the Rams had many years.
    OT: I have played fantasy football only once in my life...it was 2006 and I drafted Steven Jackson in the first...

I won the league that year and decided to retire...it was too nerve wracking for me...

But, I will always be grateful to Steven Jackson...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post

Evidence is lack there of. I can only guess you played the game and that should also be evidence. The big feature backs haven't flooded the NFL rosters and there is a reason. If you get the rare blend of size-speed NFL caliber backs...They seem to be productive at the next level. Bell isn't one of those but that doesn't mean he can't be productive.

Bell has shown the skills in college and I didn't say he couldn't succeed. But make no mistake, the power backs learning curve to the next level has alot to do with the speed size ratio in the NFL. He won't be running over or through players he did in college or bouncing outside when a LB steps up in a hole. Bells success will hinge on using his size and keeping his pad level down. Using his vision and taking what is there. Then using some of his skills that make him a more complete back such as cathing the ball out of the backfield and picking up the blitz. What made Bell successful in the Big 10 is he had a unique size-speed ratio for a college back. That advantage will deminish some in his next step...He will have to do work & excel in the "little things" to continue his success.

Jackson is a great RB and Bell could hope to have that type of success. For every one of him I could pencil in a Big 10 back like Perry, Biakabutka, Dozier, Enis, Clay, Wheatley, etc. I'm not discounting Bell's accomplishments but would feel alot better if he faired better against Top 10 teams. When you look at the game logs of level of competition, MS played against 2 Top 10 teams. Trying to get a feel for the bigger stage. Bell went 19/77 0 Tds against ND & 17/45 0 Tds against OSU. That would be 36/122 3.4 o Tds. Bell put up 212/961 4.5 6 Tds in the Big 10.

I'm a PSU homer and watch alot of Big 10 ball. I watched Bell play in many games. I would be the first to tell you if I like or dislike a Big 10 prospect while being unbiased. I'm not really a big fan of Big 10 RBs. The last 2 since '07 that I thought had a chance to break the "mold" of a Big 10 back failure in Mendy & Wells both have been disappointments. Jury is still out on Mikel Leshoure. The last two MSU leading rushers were Ringer & Baker and they haven't done anything yet in the NFL. Ringer nearly duplicated Bells 3 year numbers in 2 years and Baker had 2,293 in 3 years. Keeping things in perspective.

If Bell would have an Eddie George type of career, I would be surprised. I think his ceiling is more like a Brandon Jacobs with the size comparison...JMO. Of course if the Steelers select him I will hope for "George" . He does fit the Steelers mold of a young skill player coming out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Adrian Peterson is 6 foot 1.
    Eric Dickerson is 6 foot 3
    Eddie George is 6 foot 3

I'm sure there are many more...I believe Brandon Jacobs is 6 foot 4.

I agree in the sport of football, low man wins. With that said, tall running backs can compensate by getting that pad level lower, delivering blows, running technique etc. On film, Bell is elite. He is powerful, quick, patient and runs with vision. I have NO concerns about his size. I believe he will be rookie of the year if he gets on a team that needs his services right away.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Adrian Peterson is 6 foot 1.
    Eric Dickerson is 6 foot 3
    Eddie George is 6 foot 3

I'm sure there are many more...I believe Brandon Jacobs is 6 foot 4.

I agree in the sport of football, low man wins. With that said, tall running backs can compensate by getting that pad level lower, delivering blows, running technique etc. On film, Bell is elite. He is powerful, quick, patient and runs with vision. I have NO concerns about his size. I believe he will be rookie of the year if he gets on a team that needs his services right away.
    AP is a freak
    Dickerson played at a time when players weren't as fast nor as big...
    George had a decent career.

I just don't see it in Bell.. like JPN said, Big 10 backs always look elite in college but rarely does it translate to success at the next level.

Backup

User Info Menu

So if the Steelers love this kid I think they'll need to either take him in the 2nd which is maybe to early or in the 3rd which will be to late or am I wrong?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    AP is a freak
    Dickerson played at a time when players weren't as fast nor as big...
    George had a decent career.

I just don't see it in Bell.. like JPN said, Big 10 backs always look elite in college but rarely does it translate to success at the next level.
    Time will tell but I think ruling out a player based on being a couple inches "too tall" is short sighted at best. The guy is a beast. I have little doubt that he will be a successful pro.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If Bell's Steeler career matches that of Eddie George, I'd be just fine with that.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    If Bell's Steeler career matches that of Eddie George, I'd be just fine with that.
    I agree, minus the Casey Hampton bell ringer
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska