Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ben and Offense in Trouble on Sunday?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    Same defense thats been in the top 5 more times than not in the last 10 YEARS. So based on ONE game, I need to get a clue? NO TEAM runs the no huddle all game.

YOU GET A CLUE
    How many players are left from that decade long stretch? This defense is nowhere close to the caliber of D we had even 2 or 3 years ago. The old players are older and the players Tomlin has plugged in to try and replace the solid defenders of past years aren't getting the job done. For how many first round picks we have on that DLine and in the LB corp they aren't getting any pressure on the QB at all. Vick has been getting his butt kicked on a weekly basis. Let's see how many sacks we get this weekend.

Obviously I was exaggerating going no huddle from play one to the final play. I was simply trying to make the point that we need to run it quite a bit and not let up. The top teams that have weaker defenses put up 30 points most weeks to offset their weak defense.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    How many players are left from that decade long stretch? This defense is nowhere close to the caliber of D we had even 2 or 3 years ago. The old players are older and the players Tomlin has plugged in to try and replace the solid defenders of past years aren't getting the job done. For how many first round picks we have on that DLine and in the LB corp they aren't getting any pressure on the QB at all. Vick has been getting his butt kicked on a weekly basis. Let's see how many sacks we get this weekend.

Obviously I was exaggerating going no huddle from play one to the final play. I was simply trying to make the point that we need to run it quite a bit and not let up. The top teams that have weaker defenses put up 30 points most weeks to offset their weak defense.
    Defense in general is nowhere close to the caliber of D in the NFL from even 2 or 3 years ago...the NFL is scoring points and QBs are recording 5,000 yard passing season like it's going out of style...

Starter

User Info Menu

Then again, maybe their #1 52% completion rate and their #3 ranked 6.2 average gain per pass rate is in trouble.

They are #8 giving up 827 yards in 4 games. Oops! Wait a second. Both the Steelers and Indy are ahead of them there but in only 3 games. Okay, they are #7 in yds per game giving up 206.8. The Steelers are still ahead of them at #3 giving up 190.3 per game. That of course is very good and the Eagles have improved over last year.

Regardless, this should be a good test for the Steelers.

I was looking forward to seeing how young money stacked up against those highly touted CB's. Frankly, I always figured that Asomugha ? was overrated. When he was with the Raiders he was always ranked at or near the top. Last year it was hard to find his name on the list. [47] My guess is they actually threw the ball his way now. He had some tackling problems last year also.

Oops! Wrong about that 47. That is this year. Last year he was at 52.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Defense in general is nowhere close to the caliber of D in the NFL from even 2 or 3 years ago...the NFL is scoring points and QBs are recording 5,000 yard passing season like it's going out of style...
    Welcome to today's NFL. The days of getting a 10 point lead and taking the air out of the ball are over.
    This is why it's hard to watch the NFL anymore. Sorry, but I love the hard hitting game of MEN. If I wanted to watch the arena league, I would.

The replacements, and all the other issues suck, but the rules that make defense worthless more and more are killing it for me.

Glad hunting season is here.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

What are you basing "this defense" on? The fact that they had THREE players missing? Three TOP players? So if Ben, Wallace and Mendenhall are missing and the offense scores 3 points dont they get a pass? Of course not

Backup

User Info Menu

Vick ate up Lebeau when COWHER was there WITH those Defensive players present that you love. Next excuse?

Starter

User Info Menu

Anybody notice all that trash talking in that article posted by hawaiiansteel.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Anybody notice all that trash talking in that article posted by hawaiiansteel.
    Boykin not getting riled by Steeler's taunts

Posted: Fri, Oct. 5, 2012
    BY FRANK SERAVALLI
    Daily News Staff Writer

STEELERS Pro Bowl wide receiver Antonio Brown said it on Wednesday and Eagles cornerback Brandon Boykin's phone blew up.

Brown apparently thinks the rookie nickelback Boykin will be a tasty treat on Sunday.

"That's the candy bar," Brown told the Washington (Pa.) Observer-Reporter, a small suburban Pittsburgh newspaper. "He's given up a lot of plays. Whoever gets that guy definitely has to take advantage."

So, is Boykin more like a Mr. Goodbar? Or Heath Bar? Or Nestle Crunch? After all, Boykin would not be the first professional athlete with a candy bar named after him - he can thank Babe Ruth for that.

"That's funny to me," Boykin said, after calming down his bothered older brother, Alfred Jr. "For someone to call me out, I guess that means they taking notice of my play, that they want to go after me. I want that. I welcome that challenge. If they want to come at me, I'm going to continue to get that work."

Defensive coordinator Juan Castillo said Thursday that it is natural for opposing teams to target Boykin. For one, he's a rookie. The fourth-round pick never before lined up against the caliber of receivers - such as Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz and Anquan Boldin - he has over the last 3 weeks.

More important, the options are limited. With Pro Bowlers Nnamdi Asomugha and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie on either side of him, going after Boykin makes sense.

So far, the results have been mixed. He was strong against Baltimore and Cleveland, but exploited in Arizona and against the Giants.

Boykin, 22, has been on the field for 54 percent of the Eagles' defensive snaps. In the slot, Boykin has been targeted 22 times, 11 of which were catches - nine of them coming in the previous two games.

Fitzgerald netted 53 yards against him, including 33 yards after the catch. Cruz posted 48 yards and one touchdown. The Giants' Eli Manning and Cardinals' Kevin Kolb averaged a 114.15 passer rating on balls thrown towards Boykin.

"I've guarded three Pro Bowl receivers the past couple weeks and we're doing pretty good as a secondary," Boykin said. "We're 3-1. We're just going to continue to do what we've been doing, let all that talking stuff happen.

"I felt like I've done pretty good. I've definitely got a lot of things I can improve on. I'm just trying to fight each and every week."

Brown might not be the only one to face Boykin, as the Steelers could try to push fellow Pro Bowler Mike Wallace to the slot for an advantage. Wallace has racked up 234 yards in three games this season.

For cornerbacks such as Boykin, Andy Reid reminded on Wednesday to cover until the play is completely dead, something essential when facing Ben Roethlisberger. He is tough to bring down and can keep plays alive longer than most NFL quarterbacks.

Castillo praised Boykin's work ethic. With the help of playing inside at the University of Georgia, Boykin has transitioned to the NFL with ease, compared with how long DRC needed to adjust to life in the slot last season.

"He's in here every morning at 7:30 a.m. studying," Castillo said. "I met his parents this past weekend. I can see why he's the individual that he is. Besides being a talented young man, he's very confident; he works hard. Those are the qualities that he has, and it's not his fault it's his first year in the NFL."

Linebacker DeMeco Ryans wasn't surprised about Brown's chatter, but said the "real talking happens on game days."

"Talk is talk," Trent Cole said. "If I was him, I'd love to have that challenge. I'd love to have someone say that. When it comes down to that moment, it doesn't matter who's better or who has the better contract. It comes down to who plays better on that night. Let your actions speak louder."

For Boykin, that's the plan. He graduated from Georgia with a journalism degree. With rampant and instant social media, he knew better than to give Brown and the Steelers any ammunition.

At the very least, he's got a solid nickname to follow him throughout his NFL career - as long as it doesn't define him.

"Of course they're going to test me out," Boykin said. "I expect that every week. This will be no different. Just because he said something in the media, it's not going to intimidate me."

[URL]http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/20121004_Boykin_not_getting_riled_by_Steelers_taun ts.html#ixzz28RjJZ7jF[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Hmm! So they can read in Igglesville after all.l

Bopping around Stiller boards here and there lottsa Stiller fans think this stuff was better unsaid.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stopplayn View Post
    What are you basing "this defense" on? The fact that they had THREE players missing? Three TOP players? So if Ben, Wallace and Mendenhall are missing and the offense scores 3 points dont they get a pass? Of course not
    We aRe getting a James Harrison that hasn't taken a snap since the Denver playoff loss and a Troy Polumalu that is nowhere near the player he used to be back. I hate to say it because I loved both these Steeler hero's as much as the next fan, but at this point they are ghosts of what they were.