Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dulac On Assistant Coaches

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    what point is that?
    at a certain age, regardless of production, people should be fired?

you had to low ball the age to get your point across. No one is talking about 40, 50 or even 60...

We are talking 76... if people would stick to the topic they would understand that age is ALWAYS a focus when the employee is 75+

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Haslett failed? Didn't he get a HC job as a result of his time in Pittsburgh?

The issue for me with Lebeau, is that we have quality in-house, waiting in the wings. Butler is highly regarded, enough so that most think he is DL's heir apparent. Why waste prime (coaching) years of our heir apparent, letting a past-his-prime DL continue to sit in the head chair (unless you think he's not past his prime, in which case you are being irrational). We also have Carnell Lake, the golden child of the board here. If he has good as stated, should we continue to let him also sit and rot on the vine? Or how about Jerry Olsavsky, who's already taking feelers from other teams.

Lebeau is SEVENTY-SIX YEARS OLD. 76! To dismiss the thought of replacing him is terribly short-sighted. Should we ignore the signs (of a slipping defense) until he's... 80? Why should a guy that old, get a free pass? It isn't like the difference between a 36 year old and a 40 year old. At 76, you are highly subject to the laws of nature.

Let's get off our politically correct horse, and talk real.
    No, we shouldn't ignore it. We also shouldn't have a knee jerk reaction and make a change just for the sake of it. Remember, you could end up with someone a lot worse than the old and feeble LeBeau. Just because a guy is young doesn't make him good.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    No, we shouldn't ignore it. We also shouldn't have a knee jerk reaction and make a change just for the sake of it. Remember, you could end up with someone a lot worse than the old and feeble LeBeau. Just because a guy is young doesn't make him good.
    ...and just because he is young doesn't mean he won't be better, potentially much better and much better suited for now and the future.

There is a reason why the tech billionaires that have been created over the past 20-30 years started that climb in their 20s and 30s. It was the willingness to change and adapt. Need the same thing in a coach.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-31-2014 at 01:09 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    ...and just because he is young doesn't mean he won't be better, potentially much better and much better suited for now and the future.

There is a reason why the tech billionaires that have been created over the past 20-30 years started that climb in their 20s and 30s. It was the willingness to change and adapt. Need the same thing in a coach.
    I agree that we could hire a younger guy who might be better ... just might. Until LeBeau moves closer to being an average DC I say we stick with him.

Now let's talk about the great Dan Quinn. The Seahawks just drive to tie the game up 10-10 in the 3rd quarter and what does the Seattle defense do? It lets San Fran drive 83 yards for the go ahead TD. How many times has LeBeau been ripped for his defense allowing that to happen. Now we have what most consider the best defense in the league allowing the same thing to happen. Should Quinn be fired? Is he slipping? How about Quinn's defense allowing the opposing QB to run for 130 yards? One of the runs went for 58 yards. I guess people have figured out Quinn's 4-3 system but he is too stubborn to change. He'll probably use that same defense in the SB against Manning. Then, after Seattle kicks a FG to take a 6 point lead late in the 4th, Quinn's defense lets San Fran drive the length of the field and almost steal the game.

These are all the same things that LeBeau has been criticized for throughout the last couple of years. Hopefully now you realize that these things happen to all defenses, no matter the system or the coach, and not just ours. It happened to ours more this year than in the past but I don't think it means we scramble for the lifeboats yet.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree that we could hire a younger guy who might be better ... just might. Until LeBeau moves closer to being an average DC I say we stick with him.

Now let's talk about the great Dan Quinn. The Seahawks just drive to tie the game up 10-10 in the 3rd quarter and what does the Seattle defense do? It lets San Fran drive 83 yards for the go ahead TD. How many times has LeBeau been ripped for his defense allowing that to happen. Now we have what most consider the best defense in the league allowing the same thing to happen. Should Quinn be fired? Is he slipping? How about Quinn's defense allowing the opposing QB to run for 130 yards? One of the runs went for 58 yards. I guess people have figured out Quinn's 4-3 system but he is too stubborn to change. He'll probably use that same defense in the SB against Manning. Then, after Seattle kicks a FG to take a 6 point lead late in the 4th, Quinn's defense lets San Fran drive the length of the field and almost steal the game.

These are all the same things that LeBeau has been criticized for throughout the last couple of years. Hopefully now you realize that these things happen to all defenses, no matter the system or the coach, and not just ours. It happened to ours more this year than in the past but I don't think it means we scramble for the lifeboats yet.

great post
    tomlin and colbert arent drafting the right guys.
    steelers = 3 ring circus with tomlin being the head clown

Legend

User Info Menu

okay, here's the million dollar question whenever the talk of getting rid of tomlin comes up....................who do you want to bring in to replace DL?.
    who is the sure fire young gun to outperform DL's historically top 5 defense(except last year) for the next decade?
    i need names

Legend

User Info Menu

What??? Are you really trying to use the NFCCG vs their rival in the division who has been to 3 Conference championships the last 3 years to support your argument? Thats laughable.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    okay, here's the million dollar question whenever the talk of getting rid of tomlin comes up....................who do you want to bring in to replace DL?.
    who is the sure fire young gun to outperform DL's historically top 5 defense(except last year) for the next decade?
    i need names
    So let's wait until the 76 yr old dies, and he will, and then react to that tragic event versus having a proactive change over at a time that is best for the organization versus LeBeau. We are in a rebuilding mode on defense. Now is the time to make the change in the Def Coord so we are considering all possible alternatives and options not trying to recreate and capture past glories which is exactly what will happen with LeBeau in charge.

And hoping that Butler is willing to wait forever as the "DC in waiting" is not a plan. Sooner or later he is going to get tired of waiting and want his chance. The let him stay until he dies approach didn't work that well for Penn State and I don't think it will work for us either.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    What??? Are you really trying to use the NFCCG vs their rival in the division who has been to 3 Conference championships the last 3 years to support your argument? Thats laughable.

well, based on that logic DL has never had an offense run right down the filed on them after taking the lead in a nfcc game

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So let's wait until the 76 yr old dies, and he will, and then react to that tragic event versus having a proactive change over at a time that is best for the organization versus LeBeau. We are in a rebuilding mode on defense. Now is the time to make the change in the Def Coord so we are considering all possible alternatives and options not trying to recreate and capture past glories which is exactly what will happen with LeBeau in charge.

And hoping that Butler is willing to wait forever as the "DC in waiting" is not a plan. Sooner or later he is going to get tired of waiting and want his chance. The let him stay until he dies approach didn't work that well for Penn State and I don't think it will work for us either.
    i have no problem with a change, including the HC.
    i would also like to see our draft picks see the field the first year. the problem i have is thinking that a young guy would be able to come in and have better results than DL has had over a decade. DL's system has proven to be great when quality players were drafted. i believe those player were cowhers picks and tomlins picks havent worked in DL top 5 defensive scheme as well as cowhers.
    your logic is to allow tomlin to continue picking mediocre players and get a young gun to play them sooner and see what happens compared to getting rid of tomlin and his poor selections and stay with a proven commodity in DL's 3-4.
    risky move. it may pay off but im willing to bet the new guy wont have a top 5 defense over the next decade.

once again, who do you want as DC?