Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers' position outlook: offensive line

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Munchak, Steelers linemen excited about fresh start

Posted by Josh Alper on July 1, 2014

This offseason brought about a big change for Mike Munchak.

He was fired as the Titans’ head coach, ending a three decade run with the organization that drafted him in the first round of the 1982 draft on a sour note. Munchak wasn’t out of work for long, though. He signed on to coach the Steelers offensive line, a move that Munchak says allows him and the oft-troubled Steelers linemen to break new ground during the 2014 season.

“I just think it’s exciting for all of us. We have a fresh start for me, a fresh start for the linemen, a new way of looking at things (and) fresh eyes on what they’ve been doing and they’ve been successful. These guys are very prideful. They’re very excited about the opportunities,” Munchak said, via ESPN.com.

The Steelers are on their third line coach in as many years, so fresh starts aren’t exactly the freshest thing in Pittsburgh. Munchak is inheriting a line that comes with a bit more stability than some of the previous versions even before you factor in the return of center Maurkice Pouncey. Given Munchak’s previous success as a line coach, it could make for a mix that pushes the next fresh start well into the future.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/01/mike-munchak-steelers-linemen-excited-about-fresh-start/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Haley on Munchak: 'He's a stud'
    July, 1, 2014
    By Scott Brown | ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- As excited as the Steelers’ offensive linemen are by the addition of Mike Munchak, their enthusiasm may be trumped by someone else at team headquarters.

“Really nobody was happier when Coach (Mike) Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and Mr. Rooney were able to pull off getting him to come on board," offensive coordinator Todd Haley said of the Steelers' new offensive line coach. "He’s a great teacher. He’s great at what he does, the best in the league in my opinion. He seamlessly transitioned into our staff. He's a stud.”

Haley and Munchak join Dick LeBeau as three former NFL head coaches on Tomlin’s staff, giving it some heft. And Haley has good reason to be thrilled that Munchak will mentor and mold the Steelers’ offensive line this season.

The line came together at the end of last season and is still young with left guard Ramon Foster, who is only 28, the oldest projected starter up front. Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey returns after missing most of last season with a torn ACL, and the line will be counted on to keep quarterback Ben Roethlisberger upright and open holes for running backs Le'Veon Bell, LeGarrette Blount and Dri Archer.

Stellar offensive line play has often eluded the Steelers during Tomlin’s tenure, and some of that can be blamed on injuries. But with Munchak, a Pro Football Hall of Fame guard, pulling everything together the Steelers’ line could be poised to lead the way for an offense that averaged just under 28 points in its final eight games in 2013.

“Not all great players are great coaches. But he’s definitely one of those great players that transitioned into being a great coach,” Haley said. “The head coaching experience is a benefit because he doesn’t just see it from his position group or his perspective. He sees the big picture, which I take pride in doing, having been there. He is a very good teacher that believes in hard work, like we all do. Great players want to be coached. They want to be pushed to see how good they can be, and these guys are eating it up.”

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/7356/haley-on-munchak-hes-a-stud[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Panthers sign center Fernando Velasco

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 23, 2014

The Panthers have huge questions at offensive tackle entering training camp, but they added a little depth in the middle of the line Wednesday.

Via Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review, the Panthers have signed center Fernando Velasco. Panthers defensive end Charles Johnson sent out a photo of his former Georgia teammate at the stadium today.

Velasco played well for the Steelers last year subbing for the injured Maurkice Pouncey, before tearing his Achilles in Week 13.

If he’s well, he gives the Panthers a solid backup option behind Ryan Kalil, as they didn’t have much experience in the middle.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/panthers-sign-center-fernando-velasco/[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

For what it's worth I like the Johnson pick. SEC player who played well at that level and as a few pointed out has position flexibility. Now it's up to him to impress enough to keep him. We probably couldn't get him on the practice squad so he is likely on the 53 or gone. I'll try to keep an eye on him next week at camp.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    For what it's worth I like the Johnson pick. SEC player who played well at that level and as a few pointed out has position flexibility. Now it's up to him to impress enough to keep him. We probably couldn't get him on the practice squad so he is likely on the 53 or gone. I'll try to keep an eye on him next week at camp.
    I think he'll stick as the 9th O-lineman on the 53 man roster. He likely won't get a helmet on gamedays unless injuries strike, because we'll have our starting five with Adams as the swing tackle, Wallace as our primary interior backup, plus Whimper as an additional veteran backup option before we get down to Johnson.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Johnson could beat out Whimper.

I personally hope adams beats gilbert

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    I liked the pick as well. He could be a diamond in the rough type of player. He's smart and athletic but might struggle until he gets a little bigger and stronger. That is one of the easiest things to fix IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I liked the pick as well. He could be a diamond in the rough type of player. He's smart and athletic but might struggle until he gets a little bigger and stronger. That is one of the easiest things to fix IMO.
    If he's another Beachum (smart, hard-working, versatile, overachiever)...cha-ching.

Legend

User Info Menu

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora:

Wes Johnson getting plenty of reps at center.

[URL]https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell:

“@gplataz: @jimwexell Shamarko making any pkays?” Ran over Adams with a bull rush on one blitz.

Undrafted rookie C-G Chris Elkins stopping all comers in one-on-ones, even Cam Heyward...twice. Brick outhouse.

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]