Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers playing the Vikings in London in 2013

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It hasn't seemed to bother the Giants too much. IIRC, the Giants have won the Super Bowl both times they have played in London. I don't think it is that big of a deal. It's good that it's not a home game but I didn't figure they would pull a game from the Burgh to play the Steelers abroad. I really don't think it is that big of a deal and it will be cool to see the Steelers play in one of these games, been expecting it for a while.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's not like the Steelers have to travel and the Vikings don't. From what I understand, they also won't lose a home game, so the fans should be cool as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    These are grown men who are professionals making millions of dollars to play a game. Yeah, they should be able to suck it up and be professional about it. Who here doesn't have a boss who occasionally asks them to do things that they don't want to do? Do you let it effect your performance?

I go there on business. It is not a hard flight and once in the city everything is pretty easy, just expensive.

It's not like the game is in Australia. Trust me that is a travel hardship.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Saw an interview years ago from Shannon Sharpe regarding relatives and logistics being tough for playoff games, and how it could be a distraction. I'm sure relatives will be traveling to London. Sharpe said he had to get tickets, make housing arrangements, transporation to and from for friends/relatives. I would think similar issues could arise for players playing in London.

It will certainly be more of a media frenzy than a regular season game......sight seeing, family time. Anything different than their normal routine could be......

Like another dood said though....they are professionals. They should be able to handle it.
    [URL="http://famousfatdave.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/GodfatherIIClemenza.jpg"][/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by virgilbosetti View Post
    Saw an interview years ago from Shannon Sharpe regarding relatives and logistics being tough for playoff games, and how it could be a distraction. I'm sure relatives will be traveling to London. Sharpe said he had to get tickets, make housing arrangements, transporation to and from for friends/relatives. I would think similar issues could arise for players playing in London.

It will certainly be more of a media frenzy than a regular season game......sight seeing, family time. Anything different than their normal routine could be......

Like another dood said though....they are professionals. They should be able to handle it.
    And it isn't like they will be doing alone. The teams and the NFL will have all the contacts and everything place to make it pretty effortless.

Probably the hardest part for the players will be making sure their families have passports. If I was the Rooney's I would hire a tour company to come in and take care of all the things for the families and friends to mkae it a relaly great experience.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    players are just pawns...

just like the rest of the employees in the world

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by virgilbosetti View Post

Also, the Vikings have to do it to so it's not like the Steelers are at some disadvantage.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Why? It's just another game. Maybe the travel is a little longer, but it doesn't need to be a distraction...
    It is so nice to see that being said. I am a fan in the uk and I have heard nothing but bitching on other boards since this announcement. Other than the travel time (which is not that much further than some away games in the states) the only thing that could be a bit of distraction is the publicity stuff that occurs while they are over here. But that is more the cheerleaders than the players, so not an issue for the Steelers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Medea View Post
    It is so nice to see that being said. I am a fan in the uk and I have heard nothing but bitching on other boards since this announcement. Other than the travel time (which is not that much further than some away games in the states) the only thing that could be a bit of distraction is the publicity stuff that occurs while they are over here. But that is more the cheerleaders than the players, so not an issue for the Steelers.
    Travel to the UK from the Northeast is not hard. I do it several times a year. This will not be a problem for the team at all.

Backup

User Info Menu

Couldn't all the travel arrangements be made in July before training camp starts?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.