Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FO Fail?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Lefty and Batch were the smart moves. I would rather roll the dice with the veterans than a young kid that showed little. JJ had a couple of nice moments but with the backup QB on a potential Super Bowl team, you don't turn that over to inexperience. The only trouble with thier choice of QB'S, these two couldn't open their Christmas present without getting a paper cut.
    Yeah, the front office better take a look into some backups that are a better fit than Batch, Leftwich and wet behind the ears draft pick types. Maybe we should draft high for a QB next season, like the second round or dare I say first round if this person has some worth as a future QB ?
    I still think not too many teams will go far if their starting QB goes down and their backups need to take over. The only teams that usually do well or better when this happens are, teams that already stink and changing quarterbacks have little to no affect on the team because they find ways to lose in addition to poor quarterback play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Lefty and Batch were the smart moves. I would rather roll the dice with the veterans than a young kid that showed little. JJ had a couple of nice moments but with the backup QB on a potential Super Bowl team, you don't turn that over to inexperience. The only trouble with thier choice of QB'S, these two couldn't open their Christmas present without getting a paper cut.
    Yeah, the front office better take a look into some backups that are a better fit than Batch, Leftwich and wet behind the ears draft pick types. Maybe we should draft high for a QB next season, like the second round or dare I say first round if this person has some worth as a future QB ?
    I still think not too many teams will go far if their starting QB goes down and their backups need to take over. The only teams that usually do well or better when this happens are, teams that already stink and changing quarterbacks have little to no affect on the team because they find ways to lose in addition to poor quarterback play.
    I think the Niners would take issue with that.... Kaepernick looks like he could be a starter.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kaepernick was slightly undervalued in his draft year, I thought. I think he's gonna prove out very well over time.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Kaepernick was slightly undervalued in his draft year, I thought. I think he's gonna prove out very well over time.

i covered my tracks with, " not too many teams "

Backup

User Info Menu

I thought they should have kept Johnson, and now after the fact it's very easy to see that neither Batch or Lefty would make it through a game. They are frail and old and don't fit the scheme with our offensive line and don't have the ability to move around and evade the rush or even take a hit for that matter. So if someone is claiming now that it isn't a FO failure they are blind, prior to Bens injury, no one would question having the 2 old experienced vets, but even seeing what has happened over the past few years when these guys had to play, even in the preseason, they can't take a hit. It's obvious that it's a huge failure and any one who says otherwise needs to take off the shades.

Starter

User Info Menu

Batch made it through the Rams game last year. The year before that (I think) he finished up the Titans game when Dixon got hurt and then won the TB game and lost to Baltimore, although it was the defense that blew that one. But my point is that I think he has a bad reputation because of the one KC game where he got hurt on the first series he came in. I think has been a while since he has been hurt in a game. He will be fine til Ben gets back. I still say once we get AB back, with the way this D is playing that we will not lose another game. And now that we've got Plax for the Red Zone I am even more confident.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I too believe Batch gets a bad rap for the KC game, it happens. Even as a Batch backer and a Lefty hopefull fan, I have to admit, " this should be the last season for both of them if the front office is smart.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Charlie can beat Cleveland. The Ravens will beat him to an old pulp with their blitzes. We best have two QB's in reserve of him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Charlie will be fine as long as he gets the protection. You pretty much knew Leftwich was going to be a three legged kitten, coverd in bacon fat among a pack of pitbulls. I know that's over the top but, with all his injuries I think I would take more pride saying, " I'm a three legged kitten covered in bacon juice and I just had my asss handed to me by a pack of wild dogs. What can Leftwich say besides, " I fall down and go boom. "

Did you hear some of the play calls Leftwich was calling during the game ? Here's a few I heard.

Black & Blue on 2, Black & Blue on 2 hike.

Stretcher on 3 Stretcher on 3 hike

I'm not sure if this was his last play call or his last words at the end of the game but, I thought he screamed out " Medic ! "

That TD Leftwich ran in on the first series, did he run that out of the rib bone formation ?

Sorry guys for being a tool about Leftwich and I hope he recovers quickly but, I'm still at work and I need the release about now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sometime in the past two drafts the team should have gotten serious about drafting a young developmental QB. Not sure whether they didn't want to tick off Ben or what but we are pay the piper now for not doing that. The reality is that there really aren't any good back-ups in the league right or very, very few. The #1 guy goes down and every team struggles. Anyone watch the Bears last night without Cutler?

That is why I really think we will struggle the rest of the season. After watching the Browns play the Cowboys, I know they can beat us unless we play an "A" game in all facets of play. The Ravens can beat us again too.

Just watch how the rest of our season potentially ffalls apart and you will understand why Goodell is trying to protect starting QBs. The product just ends up being inferior.
    If you draft a quarterback in one of the last two drafts and develop him to replace Ben he would probably be 28 or 29 when he sees the field for the first time. What "good" young quarterback wants to sit and learn for 8 or 9 years?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount